Wolf Ammo Lodged in Barrel - Page 2

Wolf Ammo Lodged in Barrel

This is a discussion on Wolf Ammo Lodged in Barrel within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Legumeofterr You are away that Wolf Gold is re-branded Prvi Partizan right? the Same ammo Winchester sells in many of thier white ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Wolf Ammo Lodged in Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Legumeofterr View Post
    You are away that Wolf Gold is re-branded Prvi Partizan right? the Same ammo Winchester sells in many of thier white boxes?
    I have no idea about the Wolf (although I have never heard this before) but I would like to see your proof for the statement about WWB.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Brass tools are used world wide for hundreds of years due to it's non sparking characteristic.
    When Ifirst started getting into hand guns some rascal sales guy at the gun shop sold me two 50 round boxes of .45 ammo. They now sit in a box in my closet with a label that says: WARNING: DEFECTIVE AMMO.
    SEMPER FI
    Life member: DAV
    Life member: USMC
    Life member: MOPH
    Member: NRA
    Life member: VVA

Keep the box, call the factory and let them know what happened; they'll want the batch number. In the mean time, giving the folks at Walther (S&W?) a call and they might help you out if you send the barrel back.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I have no idea about the Wolf (although I have never heard this before) but I would like to see your proof for the statement about WWB.
    Same here. I seriously doubt WWB = Wolf. I have fired LOTS of WWB 9mm through my SW 3913 with no issues. I bought some Wolf once, lured by the cheap price, and never ended up firing it, instead gave it to a friend. He fired it in his Beretta 92FS and had 4 or 5 bad primers in the first box. He didn't even try the second box. Chalk me up firmly in the "I'll never shoot Wolf ammo" camp.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

The same thing happened to me a few years back. I heard the bang but the slide didn't come back. When I racked the slide the case was still in the barrel. I didn't know for sure if the bullet cleared or not. Fortunately the bullet did fire and all I had was an empty casing.

This happened with Wolf 9mm in my PT111/Millenium.

I had weak shots using Wolf .45 in my Ruger P97.

I'll not get Wolf in the future. I know folks who swear by it but I and my son-in-law have had problems every time we tried to use Wolf.

Wolf ammo. Somehow that has the word 'warning!' written all over it. Maybe it's better stated as 'beware'.

New glock 26 and wolf ammo

I just bought a new Glock 26 9mm a couple weeks ago..

prior to buying I read up a lot on this weapon and it seemed many people were saying that it will eat just about anything.

I stocked up on a few hundred rounds of Walmart white box, Tul ammo (steel), and WOLF..

The first time I shot shot wolf it seemed to go ok. I mixed the others in with wolf and had no problems.

The next trip I decided to use wolf almost exclusively because of the price and also for testing purposes.

within 20 or so rounds, I had a steel case stuck in the barrel. I was at an indoor range (where I bought the gun) so I brought it upstairs to show the guy.

He took it in back and knocked the case out similar to what was explained above.

Something to note was that the primer had come out of the round stuck in the barrel.. hmm

Then I took it back down to put some more through and within another 20 had the same problem.

The extractor is just ripping through the casing as it goes back and the round stays in the barrel.

He was again able to remove but I stopped firing WOLF.

I put some of the brass whitebox in (couple hundred) and had no problems what so ever.

Returning last night, I tried the TULAMMO steel case.. I think I put over 100 rounds of that through without this problem.

I did have 2 or 3 FTE which jammed the gun but was easily cleared.

Now I have around 400 rounds of Wolf and cant use them.

for the price I was really excited.. after the problems.. really disappointed..

I mean I would prefer to go all brass but wanted to use steel case to keep costs down.

these 9mm prices are ridiculous!!

I managed to find some brass that equalled about 20c per round.. not too bad.. the wolf was .17c

I also wonder about damage to my gun after whacking a couple stuck rounds out and any damage on the ejector or other internal parts.

I am relatively new at this and would appreciate any comments you can offer.

Thanks.

Hairless!

Quote Originally Posted by Hairless View Post
    I mean I would prefer to go all brass but wanted to use steel case to keep costs down.

these 9mm prices are ridiculous!!

I managed to find some brass that equalled about 20c per round.. not too bad.. the wolf was .17c

I also wonder about damage to my gun after whacking a couple stuck rounds out and any damage on the ejector or other internal parts.

I am relatively new at this and would appreciate any comments you can offer.

Thanks.

Hairless!
    Brown Bear, Brown Bear, Brown Bear. It's cheap, and it's pretty darn reliable. (You can't use it indoors, though).

Ammunition To Go : 50rds - 9mm Brown Bear 115gr. FMJ Ammo [AA919RFMJ] - $9.29

50rds - 9mm Luger Brown Bear 115 gr FMJ Barnaul 9 mm | SGAmmo.com
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

QUOTE], Brown Bear, Brown Bear. It's cheap, and it's pretty darn reliable. (You can't use it indoors, though).

[/QUOTE]

Why can't you use brown bear indoors?

I have an AR15 in 7.62x39,got it back when wolf ammo was around $69.00 1000 rounds,I bought some silver bear several years ago,and have had problems with stuck cases once the gun starts heating up,I had to replace an extractor when the case stayed in the chamber and it ripped the claw off the extractor,I'm gonna let my buddy shoot it thru his AK,and never buy that crap again
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Lead Moderator
    No issues with shooting Wolf through my AR. I have a few thousand rounds at this point. I have fired it through a few pistols as well without issue. I have had squib loads(not with Wolf) , but figure you shoot enough it will happen.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I've ran a few thousand rounds of Wolf through my old SKS; but since you feed crap to crap, there's never been a problem with the cheap stuff in that old rifle. However, I'd not shoot it in anything I really prize very much because it's pretty much bottom-end ammo.

I'm speaking out of school because I've not bothered checking out Wolf's other stuff, but I never considered using it in a good firearm because I figured they may also use steel cases in their other caliber ammo. As mentioned, steel is much harder than brass. and I worried about possible accelerated chamber and extractor wear in a semi-auto from the very hard rim, sides and base of a steel case as compared to the milder wear affect that much softer brass would create.

I've got a Gen2 Glock 21 that I picked up this summer because it was too good of a deal; PD trade in, pretty darn filthy when I got it.

So I figured, what the heck..let's see how she does, no cleaning, running a constant diet of cheap steelcase.

2500 rounds of Tula, Wolf, and Silver/Brown Bear--so far--no issues, not a one.

Methinks the cries about steelcased ammo are interwebz tripe, m'self.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    2500 rounds of Tula, Wolf, and Silver/Brown Bear--so far--no issues, not a one.

Methinks the cries about steelcased ammo are interwebz tripe, m'self.
    I'm with you. The majority of the problems with steel cases can be traced to the fact that steel is less elastic than brass and does not expand as much as brass and so doesn't grip the chamber wall as tightly. This results in powder debris blowing back into the chamber, making it dirty quicker. Eventually, the debris builds to the point that the cases stick.

More frequent cleaning of the chamber generally solve the problem.
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    QUOTE]Why can't you use brown bear indoors?

I have an AR15 in 7.62x39,got it back when wolf ammo was around $69.00 1000 rounds,I bought some silver bear several years ago,and have had problems with stuck cases once the gun starts heating up,I had to replace an extractor when the case stayed in the chamber and it ripped the claw off the extractor,I'm gonna let my buddy shoot it thru his AK,and never buy that crap again
    I was under the impression that all indoor ranges did not allow magnetic ammo? Is this not the case?
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

I've shot Wolf and other off brands in my Cougar 40 S&W and never had problems with them. BUT the clean-up afterwards was TERRIBLE!! Their powder is HORRIBLE and smokes and had to clean it 2 times after 50 rounds. Won't ever use that stuff again!! Nothing is worth that price and work!
    Last edited by hienykins; October 13th, 2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spelling
    NRA Member
    Ruger LC9
    Taurus PT92 AF
    Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (2)
    If you are going to shoot at Mimes, should you use a silencer?? ( Steven Wright)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links