Wolf Ammo Lodged in Barrel

This is a discussion on Wolf Ammo Lodged in Barrel within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If one has a high quality weapon it only make sense to run high quality ammo through it. Even wally world "bargin ammo" is head ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Wolf Ammo Lodged in Barrel

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    If one has a high quality weapon it only make sense to run high quality ammo through it.
    Even wally world "bargin ammo" is head & sholders above some of that foreign crap!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    If one has a high quality weapon it only make sense to run high quality ammo through it.
    Even wally world "bargin ammo" is head & sholders above some of that foreign crap!
    Brown Bear has been as reliable or more reliable than anything else I've used for training. Just sayin.'
    tricolordad likes this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

white box, and brass is definitely better, no question. But when I bought a glock 26 assuming I could put anything through it and the steel casing gets stuck twice (hard stuck in barrel), I am a little disappointed. I think sometimes people buy high quality to also be flexible in what it can use and in hopes for less mechanical issues.

Current pricing 10-13-11 (price is final, out the door or delivered, price for 1 round when buying 1000 rounds)

Winchester White Box .27 per round (brass) Walmart
    Wolf .17 per round (steel) Ammunitionstore.com
    Sellier & Elliot .22 per round (brass)ammoman.com
    Blazer Brass .23 per round (brass) natchez

There is a 100 dollar difference between 1000 Winchester Whitebox and 1000 Wolf. Considering I probably shot 1000 this month that could be upwards of 1000 dollars a year.

Where can I get cheaper brass rounds??

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    I was under the impression that all indoor ranges did not allow magnetic ammo? Is this not the case?
    This is not the case.

I can think of a couple offhand that allow it, no problems.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    This is not the case.

I can think of a couple offhand that allow it, no problems.
    Cool, thanks for letting me know. I just assumed it was the way I thought it was since all the indoor ranges I've been to (the number of which is four considering I generally shoot outdoors) didn't allow magnetic ammo.

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Hairless View Post
    white box, and brass is definitely better, no question. But when I bought a glock 26 assuming I could put anything through it and the steel casing gets stuck twice (hard stuck in barrel), I am a little disappointed. I think sometimes people buy high quality to also be flexible in what it can use and in hopes for less mechanical issues.

Current pricing 10-13-11 (price is final, out the door or delivered, price for 1 round when buying 1000 rounds)

Winchester White Box .27 per round (brass) Walmart
    Wolf .17 per round (steel) Ammunitionstore.com
    Sellier & Elliot .22 per round (brass)ammoman.com
    Blazer Brass .23 per round (brass) natchez

There is a 100 dollar difference between 1000 Winchester Whitebox and 1000 Wolf. Considering I probably shot 1000 this month that could be upwards of 1000 dollars a year.

Where can I get cheaper brass rounds??
    I'd never say that brass is better than steel in regards to cheap target ammo. In fact, the only two types of ammunition I've had problems with are Remington UMC and WWB, both of which are brass cased.

I'll be sure to update this in November to let you know how many malfunctions I have considering I'll have fired ~ 2k rounds of .223 Brown Bear and ~ 1k rounds of 9mm Brown Bear over the next month.

FWIW, I wouldn't base my entire opinion on steel cased ammo solely on having shot Wolf ammo since Wolf ammo is notoriously terrible. Brown Bear smells something fierce, but it's been one of my more reliable training ammunitions.

didn't allow magnetic ammo.
    This is a new term for me. I have never heard ammo called magnetic or non-magnetic.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I ran some Wolf out of my M1A and found it very inconsistent, and do not mean in accuracy. The loads were very hot, and upon inspection, noticed that many primers were backing out of the case after firing. Needless to say, I do not use this ammo anymore. Maybe a bad batch, but still...
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Went to the range tonight . ran probably 2 or 3 hundred through her.. used steel and brass. at first it was steel and worked good (maybe cooler barrel), then went to brass which worked good (as always), it was when I went back to steel that I had the blockage.. apparently it exhibited the same problem as the wolfs.. the steel case expands and gets jammed in barrel. I need a copper rod and hammer to forcibly remove the spent cartridge from the barrel. obviously the hot barrel doesn't like steel case.

The range guy just keeps laughing saying, its crap ammo and I should shoot brass 100%. again, too bad for 1000rds, I can pay up to 100 dollars more for brass than steel.. kind of significant

and for the record, my underground indoor range allows steel.. (or magnetic as some would say :)

Senior Moderator
    I have shot thousands of rounds of 9mm Wolf ammo through my Glocks and Sigs. My round count for the year is 10,100, most of that NOT Wolf. Never had any problems with it.

However, today I started shooting Wolf 9mm through my brand new HK p30L - love this gun! At about 75 rounds, the first double feed occurred, or FTE as some call it. That was followed by many more as I finished off the last 25 Wolf rounds. Well, I had to know, so I bought a box of 50 PMC 115 gn. I didn't have my cleaning stuff with me so I tried to clean the extractor, etc. with a towel I had in my bag.

The 50 PMC rounds shot flawlessly.

Well, I couldn't stand it, so I called HK customer service and a very nice, patient, CS man talked to me. As I expected, HK does not like Wolf, nor any other kind of steel cased ammo in their guns. He said the P30s, especially the 9mms, are very tight, and they like brass ammo.

He said you can read on the HK forum of guys that have shot Wolf for many years without a problem, but they (HK) advise against it.

Something he pointed out that I hadn't thought about is the 'cheaper' ammo manufacturers won't stand behind their ammo. If one happens to get a bad round that damages the gun, the gun owner will have to bear the expense. He went on to say that they get guns in for repair that have been damaged by name brand ammo, but the difference is, the ammo manufacturer pays for the repairs.

Since the P30s are tight, I think I'm gonna stick with brass ammo in hopes of preserving that tightness as long as possible. It will cost a bit more, but if it maintains a tighter gun longer, it's worth it to me. Plus, I like the thought of the ammo manufacturer standing behind their ammo.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I'd never say that brass is better than steel in regards to cheap target ammo. In fact, the only two types of ammunition I've had problems with are Remington UMC and WWB, both of which are brass cased.

I'll be sure to update this in November to let you know how many malfunctions I have considering I'll have fired ~ 2k rounds of .223 Brown Bear and ~ 1k rounds of 9mm Brown Bear over the next month.

FWIW, I wouldn't base my entire opinion on steel cased ammo solely on having shot Wolf ammo since Wolf ammo is notoriously terrible. Brown Bear smells something fierce, but it's been one of my more reliable training ammunitions.
    Updating this thread like I said I would!

I fired 1,500 rounds of .223 55 gr. Brown Bear through my 16.1" LWRC M6A3 at the Magpul Dynamics Dynamic Carbine 1 Course in Tucson over the weekend, and I experienced ZERO malfunctions and ZERO keyholing. One of the other guys was shooting .223 55 gr. Wolf, and he had a few FTF's and 70% of his shots keyholed.

The 9mm Brown Bear is still sitting around, however, as I only shoot NATO pressure 124 gr. out of my carry gun.
    Last edited by AZ Hawk; November 8th, 2011 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I'm with you. The majority of the problems with steel cases can be traced to the fact that steel is less elastic than brass and does not expand as much as brass and so doesn't grip the chamber wall as tightly. This results in powder debris blowing back into the chamber, making it dirty quicker. Eventually, the debris builds to the point that the cases stick.
    More frequent cleaning of the chamber generally solve the problem.
    This explains my best friend's problem shooting Wolf in his Mini-14.
    A fired case stuck tighter'n John Wesley's hat band, had to be driven out.
    No harm to the extractor.
    My shooting buddy swore at length, profaning the lacquer on the steel cases he blamed on the problem: I don't think his Mini was ever as thorougly cleaned in its entire life.
    Only shoots brass in it since then, no problems.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    I have had plenty of this kind of stuff with Wolf rifle ammo. I had a box of 7.62x54R that had 7 duds in a box of 20. All the primers were dented, no bang!
    wow, ive only had 3. i also had warped casings, ruptured casings etc ill never shoot the few boxes i have left...i wanna live

Wolf =

For your corporate consideration:

I bought several boxes of Wolf Gold brand for my .303 British rifle.

The first thing I did was check over the ammo box information. It is made by Prvi Partizan Uzice (PPU) company in Serbia. I shot five or ten rounds for chrono testing and accuracy. It clocks out in the middle 2500's, which is pretty normal for .303 British standard loading with 174 grain FMJ ammo. No failures to fire, no stuck cases, nothing unusual to report.

I also have about 600 rounds of PPU ammo (brass cased) in .32 ACP. I haven't had any problems with it, either - other than a certain pistol won't reliably set them off, but it appears that pistol has a pretty tired striker spring. The other five pistols in my .32 ACP collection all fire it well.

I used to shoot PPU in my 6.5x55 Swede when it was imported by Hansen. It always worked as it should.

Maybe it's a bad lot?

I do not use the steel cased Wolf ammo; so I'm no help there.

"Magnetic" rounds and indoor ranges: I know of one indoor range that will not allow steel jacketed bullet ammo. They say it tears up their backstops. It can be detected by a magnet, but it is the bullet under consideration, not the case. If that clears up anything, good.

Squib Rod: Most of the big hardware and supply stores (Home Depot, Orchard Supply, that sort of place) will have threaded brass rods in sixteen inch lengths. I have one such rod in 1/8th inch diameter for .22 long rifle firearms and another rod in 5/16th inch for .35 - .45 caliber pistols. Brass, as previously noted, is softer than the steel of firearms barrels (in any firearms I care to shoot) and the threading will deform a bit as well. I've knocked out a few bullets from both .38 Special revolvers and .45 ACP pistols. Lead bullets are easier to move than jacketed, but they will all come out with persistence. I generally use a rubber mallet, but have just banged the exposed end of the rod on a concrete deck at need.

Brass does NOT spark and will not ignite smokeless powder in my experience. And - as mentioned - there is no confinement which is required for smokeless powder to build up pressure. I've never done this with black powder and might be a bit more leery in such a case. But if one pounds from the muzzle end, there should be no black powder in the impact area.

With all that, I can understand the shooter's suspicion of the ammunition in question. One lives and hopefully learns.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links