Wolf Ammo Lodged in Barrel

This is a discussion on Wolf Ammo Lodged in Barrel within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've always tried to stay away from Wolf ammo, but recently a friend of mine placed a bulk order on some .380 ammo and gave ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Wolf Ammo Lodged in Barrel

Wolf Ammo Lodged in Barrel

I've always tried to stay away from Wolf ammo, but recently a friend of mine placed a bulk order on some .380 ammo and gave me a box of Wolf Gold .380 JHP. So we took it to the range and I shot about 20 rounds no problem. I wasn't going to use this ammo for SD or to carry so I figured I'd just shoot through it at the range. Well long story short either one of the rounds didn't have enough powder in it or the percussion cap didn't ignite fully and only half of the powder lit. There was a "pop" like a capgun, the cartridge ejected only halfway in my Walther PPK and the bullet is now lodged in the center of the barrel. I keep playing in my mind what would have happened if I didn't realize the difference in kick and the failure to extract and would have just tried shooting off another round. I'm pretty irritated that this ammo could have potentially destroyed my Walther (and also still potentially damaged the rifling in the barrel).

I can't get the round out, I have nothing to clear it with. I don't want to use anything metal and I tried a wooden dowel rod, the thing is STUCK and when I mean stuck I mean STUCK.

Any suggestions?

I'm going to write a REALLY friendly letter to Wolf ammunition since it's "100% guaranteed" etc.

2. Remove Ads

Brass punch & be as gentle as possible ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I have had plenty of this kind of stuff with Wolf rifle ammo. I had a box of 7.62x54R that had 7 duds in a box of 20. All the primers were dented, no bang!
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

I still have about 75 rounds that I probably won't even end up using, what a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by PRSOrator View Post
    I can't get the round out, I have nothing to clear it with. I don't want to use anything metal and I tried a wooden dowel rod, the thing is STUCK and when I mean stuck I mean STUCK.
    Make sure your wooden dowel is hardwood, and start with a 3/8 diameter - you want a close, running fit in the barrel. Sand it down to make it fit if you have to. Cut it to the length of your barrel plus maybe two inches. With the muzzle on a wooden block and the dowel in the bore against the stuck bullet, hold the breech end with your hand and rap the free end of the dowel with a heavy plastic mallet, or a hunk of 2x2 or similar. Weight on the striking tool is your friend here for getting the bullet moving.

Don't apply heat, because lead expands at twice the rate of steel... that will get it more stuck. If you have dry ice handy, cooling the barrel will reduce the interference fit by about 0.001", but a home freezer isn't cold enough to help.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Wow thats a bad deal. I've never had a problem with it in my AR yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Make sure your wooden dowel is hardwood, and start with a 3/8 diameter - you want a close, running fit in the barrel. Sand it down to make it fit if you have to. Cut it to the length of your barrel plus maybe two inches. With the muzzle on a wooden block and the dowel in the bore against the stuck bullet, hold the breech end with your hand and rap the free end of the dowel with a heavy plastic mallet, or a hunk of 2x2 or similar. Weight on the striking tool is your friend here for getting the bullet moving.

Don't apply heat, because lead expands at twice the rate of steel... that will get it more stuck. If you have dry ice handy, cooling the barrel will reduce the interference fit by about 0.001", but a home freezer isn't cold enough to help.
    Thank you!

Worked like a charm, I was nervous about taking that much force to it but it was just what it needed. I haven't fully cleaned the gun yet but after cleaning out the barrel quickly it appears as if there is no damage to the rifling or the barrel itself.

I feel extremely lucky.

But now I have a box and a half of wolf ammo that I won't be using.

Glad everything worked out!

Thumbs up

Thank you!

Worked like a charm, I was nervous about taking that much force to it but it was just what it needed. I haven't fully cleaned the gun yet but after cleaning out the barrel quickly it appears as if there is no damage to the rifling or the barrel itself.

I feel extremely lucky.

I'm a PPK/S owner also so I'm glad to hear that your gun didn't suffer any damage.
    SEMPER FI
    Life member: DAV
    Life member: USMC
    Life member: MOPH
    Member: NRA
    Life member: VVA

Thank you!

I feel extremely lucky.

Happy to help out.

Maybe pull those bullets and use 'em for sinkers in your tackle box?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Hogdaddy, a brass punch could mar the rifling, or potentially spark the powder residue (very very bad)

Lubing the barrel with solvent and using a wooden dowel is best.

A friend of mine had a similar incident with a box of .38sp re-loads he bought at a gun show. He called a gun-smith who told him about an incident where a metal rod was used resulting in said metal rod being fired across the room when the powder went off.

Be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Hogdaddy, a brass punch could mar the rifling, or potentially spark the powder residue (very very bad)
    Brass is non-sparking; that's why tools used in explosive situations are made of brass. Also, brass is softer than steel, that's why brass punches are used on firearms.

A friend of mine had a similar incident with a box of .38sp re-loads he bought at a gun show. He called a gun-smith who told him about an incident where a metal rod was used resulting in said metal rod being fired across the room when the powder went off.

Be safe.
    I don't put much faith in the veracity of third and fourth hand stories. Smokeless powder must be confined in order to produce gas. Even if there were enough powder left in a barrel, it would simply burn at low pressure.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I've whacked a few bad reloads out of a gun barrel more than once
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You are away that Wolf Gold is re-branded Prvi Partizan right? the Same ammo Winchester sells in many of thier white boxes?

VIP Member
    My AK eats wolf all day long....
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links