Speer Gold-Dot vs Hornady FTX - Page 2

Speer Gold-Dot vs Hornady FTX

This is a discussion on Speer Gold-Dot vs Hornady FTX within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like both of these types of ammo, and have been using both. I don't know of a track record yet with the Hornady because ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold-Dot vs Hornady FTX

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I like both of these types of ammo, and have been using both. I don't know of a track record yet with the Hornady because they have been on the market for less time....I would like to hear of some official testing from the FBI or other entity so we can know more about it. I only know of what I have seen with my own testing. I know the Gold Dots are top notch.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Interesting thread......does anyone know about using the +P's or +p+ in the Kahr PM's?

I currently load Crit Def in my PM9 but am open for suggestions.....
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

I have Ranger SXT 127 +P+ in my PM9 never had a hiccup with them. I also like the lighter weights for a 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    Interesting thread......does anyone know about using the +P's or +p+ in the Kahr PM's?

I currently load Crit Def in my PM9 but am open for suggestions.....
    Kahr pistols are rated to +P.
    Kahr Arms / Q & A

I carry Speer 124gr. +P Gold Dots in my PM9. They feed flawlessly and are very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Actually, you guys have it backwards.

The heavier bullet tends to have a more efficient powder burn (spends more time in the barrel), and the heavier bullet also retains greater inertia than a lighter bullet when it comes to (barrier) penetration.

Winchester actually recommends their heavier 147gr JHP's for 9mm subcompacts for these reasons.
    Yep. I use 147's in short 9mm.

The only drawback to heavy bullets like the 147 was a reputation for poor expansion before modern designs kick in. Yes a bullet pushed faster will expand easier, but that assumes you are pushing the same design, which you aren't. Manufacturers make the cavity deaper and the jacket easier to open in heavy bullets vs. light. I also wouldn't be suprised if the powder was different too.

Compare velocities and different barrel lengths of light and heavy bullets. You'll generally find that heavy bullets lose a lower percentage of velocity than do the lights. To me that means they are closer to their design velocity window and function better in short guns.

In longer barrels, shoot whatever you like. Sometimes I use Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P, other times Winchester Ranger 147gr Standard. Terminal ballistics are about the same, though the ranger penerates just a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by cbroth View Post
    I have Ranger SXT 127 +P+ in my PM9 never had a hiccup with them. I also like the lighter weights for a 9MM.
    If you look at the terminal ballistics that Winchester quotes for 127 +P+ and 147 Standard, they're nearly identical. You might enjoy less flash, noise and flip with the 147. Also in the short barrel you're using, I bet you'd lose a lower percent of quoted velocity.

That being said, it's hair splitting. I'm sure the 127gr +P+ from your PM9 makes a nasty hole that I wouldn't want in my body.

Where you put the hole matters a heck of a lot more than .03 difference in expansion or 0.5 inches of penetration.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yadda-yadda-yadda. This one says heavy bullets; that one says lighter bullets. This one says more speed; that one says more penetration.

You know, if you're on the receiving end, it doesn't make a lot of difference. If you hit him where it counts, he's not gonna say, "Is that all you got?" Neither will kill you any deader than a .22 if you hit the right spot.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It all depends what your looking for, i have tested both bullets the 147 gr GD and the 115 gr CD FTX,

for winter time i would carry the FTX bullets cuz they will expand when they hit almost anything, plus they open up bigger then the 147 gr GD.

147 gr gold dot has better penetration while the 115 gr expands better.

I now carry Corbon 125 gr +p cuz i want the best of both worlds.
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

Why do these posts always seem to go off course??? The choice between the both rounds to me is quite simple...
    The Gold dot has been around for awhile and used by law enforcement agencies and also the FBI AND IS STREET PROVEN...
    Hornady Critical Defence is from a reputable manufacturer, BUT hasn't been around long enough to be adopted by any law enforcement or (as far as I know) met any FBI requirements...Hornady does have some great advertising and some nifty boxes...
    So....the answer is....Winchester Ranger 127+P+!!!!

Only kidding....Gold dots!
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Kahr pistols are rated to +P.
    Kahr Arms / Q & A

I carry Speer 124gr. +P Gold Dots in my PM9. They feed flawlessly and are very accurate.
    Thanks, not sure why I didn't know that, but I do now!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

I use Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P Short Barrel Hollow Points in my M&P9c.

Serious question though......

If most self defense shootings are at less than 21 feet, and more likely less than 10 feet, does the slower speed of a 147 grain really make any difference?

Sure it makes plinking at the range at 20, or 25 yards make you look like you can'ty shoot, but 10 feet away? It won't drop 2 feet in that distance.
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

Sure it makes plinking at the range at 20, or 25 yards make you look like you can'ty shoot, but 10 feet away?
    For me, it's mandatory to carry the same ammo ALL THE TIME. Practice, practice, practice! Learn where your ammo/gun shoots at different distances. Then you'll know what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Yadda-yadda-yadda. This one says heavy bullets; that one says lighter bullets. This one says more speed; that one says more penetration.

You know, if you're on the receiving end, it doesn't make a lot of difference. If you hit him where it counts, he's not gonna say, "Is that all you got?" Neither will kill you any deader than a .22 if you hit the right spot.

You're right.

We should all just carry .22 short single-shot pistols, since that'll be all we need...

And, if one round doesn't doesn't penetrate deep enough to do enough damage to stop the bad guy, where the other one will (given similar shot placement)...I guess it really would make a difference, wouldn't it?

All rounds, and calibers, are not created equal, and it ludicrous to insinuate (as you do above) that they are.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    You're right.

We should all just carry .22 short single-shot pistols, since that'll be all we need...

And, if one round doesn't doesn't penetrate deep enough to do enough damage to stop the bad guy, where the other one will (given similar shot placement)...I guess it really would make a difference, wouldn't it?

All rounds, and calibers, are not created equal, and it ludicrous to insinuate (as you do above) that they are.
    The "insinuation," which you obviously missed (poor reading comprehension?), is that if you hit the vitals with anything, it's better than not hitting the vitals with anything.

Did you read anywhere where I suggested we all carry a .22, much less a single shot? NO, I don't think so. A shot with a .44 that doesn't hit the spine, a major organ or artery, a structual bone or something else that will cause a BG to drop on the spot isn't likely to be any more effective than the well-aimed .22 that does (such as penetrate the skull). Despite what you see in the movies, the .44 ain't gonna send the BG flying.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I don't read that at all. What I AM hearing is:

First - no one wants to be shot with ANYTHING. The mere appearance of ANY gun may cause the BG to change his plans.

Second - shot placement is EVERYTHING. A .22LR in the eye is better than a .44 mag. in the arm.

Third - no, I repeat, NO handgun round is a reliable "stopper", much less a "one shot stopper". I train "double tap - evaluate". However, if I have to shoot, I'm liable to crank off 3-4 just to mak siccar. I'll evaluate after he's stopped advancing/menacing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links