Speer Gold-Dot vs Hornady FTX

This is a discussion on Speer Gold-Dot vs Hornady FTX within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have some 147 gr Speer Gold-Dots and some 115 gr Hornady Critical Defense rounds. My question is, which should i use. They will go ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold-Dot vs Hornady FTX

Question Speer Gold-Dot vs Hornady FTX

I have some 147 gr Speer Gold-Dots and some 115 gr Hornady Critical Defense rounds. My question is, which should i use. They will go in my Glock 19 for SD. Both shoot reliably and feed great. which do you all recommend? should i us both (alternate in mag)?
    Glock 19, Trijicon Night Sights, Hogue Slip on Grip & 124gr Gold-Dots
    With an Adam's Holster Texas IWB Holster (Cowhide w/ Ostrich Trim)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Either one; but, load only one kind.

Personally, I'd go with the Gold Dots. 2 reasons--first, because I prefer heavier bullets for any given caliber. Second, I'd prefer to use a load that has been shown to consistently meet the FBI penetration minimums, even after barriers...the the new Hornady plastic tips just don't have the proof in their corner.

They both work in your pistol so that's a plus...but, given my choice, I'd take the Gold Dots every time.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I have a G19 and use Gold Dots as well. I'd stick with them for the reasons that Cuda66 gave.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I don't like the 147 grain in 9mms due to the weight. Go with the 115.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I have to agree with Cuda and the Kid, go with the Gold Dots, they have a great track record.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    I don't like the 147 grain in 9mms due to the weight. Go with the 115.

Do you have anything to back up your dislike?

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    Do you have anything to back up your dislike?
    I'll butt in on that one, since I was about to post the same thing.

The inertia a heavy bullet has to achieve deep penetration also makes it harder to accelerate quickly. If all the power isn't burned by the time the bullet leaves the barrel, you're simply wasting your load. I believe the optimum weight for a 9mm is 124, with consideration given to rounds with bullets specifically designed to penetrate with lighter weights (Corbon DPX). With short barrels (under 4"), the round MUST have a fast-burning powder to get the bullet up to velocity before it leaves the barrel. A heavier bullet requires more "kick" which generates more recoil, which may make the gun harder to handle.

Either of the rounds you mentioned will do a good job (with the edge given to the Hornady) if you do yours. Hit what you aim at. Shot placement is EVERYTHING.

You might give consideration to the Corbon DPX, too.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    I'll butt in on that one, since I was about to post the same thing.

The inertia a heavy bullet has to achieve deep penetration also makes it harder to accelerate quickly. If all the power isn't burned by the time the bullet leaves the barrel, you're simply wasting your load. I believe the optimum weight for a 9mm is 124, with consideration given to rounds with bullets specifically designed to penetrate with lighter weights (Corbon DPX). With short barrels (under 4"), the round MUST have a fast-burning powder to get the bullet up to velocity before it leaves the barrel. A heavier bullet requires more "kick" which generates more recoil, which may make the gun harder to handle.

Either of the rounds you mentioned will do a good job (with the edge given to the Hornady) if you do yours. Hit what you aim at. Shot placement is EVERYTHING.

You might give consideration to the Corbon DPX, too.
    That is my reasoning. Shooting through doors or any other soft cover may not be effective with that type of weight.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    That is my reasoning. Shooting through doors or any other soft cover may not be effective with that type of weight.
    Actually, you guys have it backwards.

The heavier bullet tends to have a more efficient powder burn (spends more time in the barrel), and the heavier bullet also retains greater inertia than a lighter bullet when it comes to (barrier) penetration.

Winchester actually recommends their heavier 147gr JHP's for 9mm subcompacts for these reasons.

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    The heavier bullet tends to have a more efficient powder burn (spends more time in the barrel), and the heavier bullet also retains greater inertia than a lighter bullet when it comes to (barrier) penetration.

Winchester actually recommends their heavier 147gr JHP's for 9mm subcompacts for these reasons.
    The second part of your first paragraph is true. However, shooting through barriers (i.e., doors) is seldom recommended for a viable SD defense in court. The first part just doesn't hold water. The powder will burn at a specific rate regardless of barrel length. If you feel I'm wrong, please show me some data.

So Win. likes a heavy bullet, huh? Corbon likes the 115 DPX. Check the ballistics of both. I believe Corbon will hold its own. That is a bullet, like I said in my previous post, that's designed to penetrate in a light weight.

I carry Gold Dot 124 grain +p , but I think the 147 would do fine
    so it gets my vote.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Im a fan of slow and heavy. I personally like 147 HST and God Dots. Plus, when buying more, you can get twice as many GD or HST for a few dollars more than 20 or 25 of Hornady and some of the other top brands. good luck
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    The second part of your first paragraph is true. However, shooting through barriers (i.e., doors) is seldom recommended for a viable SD defense in court. The first part just doesn't hold water. The powder will burn at a specific rate regardless of barrel length. If you feel I'm wrong, please show me some data.

So Win. likes a heavy bullet, huh? Corbon likes the 115 DPX. Check the ballistics of both. I believe Corbon will hold its own. That is a bullet, like I said in my previous post, that's designed to penetrate in a light weight.
    Comparing the DPX to a conventional bullet of similar weights isn't really an apples to apples comparison; copper tends to hold together better, and has better penetration than a conventional lead jacketed bullet of similar weight. And, I may add, the DPX wasn't up for consideration in the OP's post--I'm concentrating on the two rounds originally offered up.

And as to barrier penetration...show me a documented case where someone--in a justified shooting situation, mind you--who took a shot through light "cover" was punished in court for it.

Personally--if someone was trying to do me grave bodily harm or worse took cover behind, say, a car door, or something similar--I will readily try and punch rounds through it, and would prefer a round I know can do it.

The letter from Winchester is floating around here, someplace; but as to proof, if one stops and thinks about it, it's pretty straightforward; a heavier bullet will take more force to move, which will take more time of combustion; since the heavier bullet is moving slower once it begins moving, it will spend more time in the barrel (a bullet moving @ 1000fps will take more time to cover 3"--or any distance--than a bullet moving at 1100fps--simple math, there), in which time more powder will be burned. QED.

I could add that once upon a time, a buddy of mine and I spent a pleasant afternoon at the range with a Glock 17 and a Glock 26, some Federal 115gr +P+ 9BPLE and some Federal 9mm 147gr HydraShok, and a chronograph. What it boiled down to was this--both rounds would (of course) be moving slower out of the G26 barrel than the G34's. However--the lighter bullet's percentage loss of velocity was considerably higher (10%+, iirc) than the heavier bullet.

However, I have no pics, or anything concrete to document that afternoon; all I can say is that I seen what I saw...and I'll take the heavier bullets every time.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The Gold Dots have both physics (mass leading to increased penetration in the target) and track record in their favor over the Hornadys.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links