Never buy this.... - Page 2

Never buy this....

This is a discussion on Never buy this.... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is why you should practice failure drills!............All of you do practice this, right?...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    VIP Member
    This is why you should practice failure drills!............All of you do practice this, right?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I agree with not buying into the shoot up ammo before it gets old. However, I also believe you should shot plenty of the SD rounds you plan to carry to make sure they function correctly in your gun.

Some guns are finicky when it comes to HPs, though usually handling just about any FMJ. Some will eat any HP you feed it, while others prefer certain ones, and then some are just plain unreliable with any HP. For this reason alone, you need to run many rounds of the SD ammo you plan on carrying just to make sure it's reliable in your gun.
    http://www.saf.org/ --- Fighting for American's Gun Rights
    http://GeorgiaCarry.org --- Fighting for Georgian's Gun Rights.
    http://Georgiapacking.org --- Discussion of Georgia Gun Laws.

.I had a bad box of Reminton GS 357 Sig last year. same problem. I went to Gold Dot too!

Over the years, 90% of my ftf rounds from .22lr to .300 magnum were remington.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    .I had a bad box of Reminton GS 357 Sig last year. same problem. I went to Gold Dot too!
    I've been carrying Remington GS and tried about 20 without ant problems. I can't afford to buy 200+ rounds of SD ammo to see if it feeds all 200.

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    I've been carrying Remington GS and tried about 20 without ant problems. I can't afford to buy 200+ rounds of SD ammo to see if it feeds all 200.
    Then buy something you can afford to shoot 200 rounds of.

Also, in re-reading your post I wondered how many rounds you have fired between spring changes? The only time my Glock 19 ever had a malfuntion was when I was using a worn out, should've been changed over 3,000 rounds ago, recoil spring.

I'd look into changing the springs, not just the Recoil Spring, and making sure the Firing Pin Hole is free of oil, crud and what-not. If you go to a GSSF Match you van have your Glock looked at by a "Certified Glock Armorer" and I think they even replace worn out parts for free.

Biker

Did you keep that round chambered? Oil could have contaminated the primer.

Ammo does not age, deteriorate, go bad or any other such.
    Not true nowadays. The new lead free primers have a limited shelf life.

[QUOTE=greyeyezz;1587820]Did you keep that round chambered? Oil could have contaminated the primer.

I did not have the round chambered.

The problem may well be crud in the gun. Lint, dust, dead possums, and who knows what else tend to accumulate in carry pistols. This can be enough to soften the strike of the firing pin.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    The problem may well be crud in the gun. Lint, dust, dead possums, and who knows what else tend to accumulate in carry pistols. This can be enough to soften the strike of the firing pin.
    I appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions. For the record, it was the first shot after I cleaned the gun. I am careful to not leave any substances on/in the gun after it's cleaned. I don't over oil. I just chalk it up to experience and will learn from it.

Quote Originally Posted by greyeyezz View Post
    Did you keep that round chambered? Oil could have contaminated the primer.
    Horsehockey. I suggest you read the following:

The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers - Page 1

I, and others, have duplicated the same test with the same results.

The new lead free primers have a limited shelf life.
    Do you have some support for that statement?

I just spent 30 minutes on Google trying to confirm that statement and can find nothing. PMC says nothing about an "expiration date" on them. Neither does any other discussion of lead-free primers that I can find.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Winchester Winclean ammo is very clean. - 1911Forum

"The Winchester representative told me that the special primers were the primary reason for the clean burn and would not be made available to the public for reloading. Additionally, the powder was a blend that would also not be made available to the public for reloading.

He further cautioned me against using any Winclean ammunition for self-defense due to the factors I mentioned previously. He stated that Winclean was ammunition manufactured for a particular "niche"; which was use on ranges that require lead free ammunition."

Zombie Squad • View topic - Bad Primers on Fiocchi 9mm ammo

9mm Hornady "Critical Defense Ammo" - Cast Boolits

Mag tech's specs for lead free primers, five years
    http://www.magtechammunition.com/docs/MSDS2.pdf

Expiration date on boxes,

Quote Originally Posted by Carry4MyFam View Post
    Train for it.......
    +100

Tap.... Rack.... Target.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

My apology - of sorts.

There's no actual expiration date on the box and the references made from all sources are to a VERY niche ammo - not primers available to the general public and not to SD ammo or other normal use ammo..

But as to my absolute statement of no shelf life, you are correct.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I fire off my carry rounds at least every 30 days, or change them out and use them as target rounds.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links