Never buy this....

This is a discussion on Never buy this.... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a bad Remington UMC JHP .40 round in my Glock 27. It is the only time I have gotten a click instead of ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Never buy this....

I had a bad Remington UMC JHP .40 round in my Glock 27. It is the only time I have gotten a click instead of a boom. Solid primer strike, just like every other round, it just didn't fire. It happens. Of course, I've never bought any Remington ammo since. I would not have used it for SD ammo anyways. It was from my range stockpile.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

2. Remove Ads

What ultimately happened to the round? You didn't say. Did you try it again. I would think a second strike on the primer would be informational. If it again fails, then it sounds like a bad primer. If it fires, then perhaps you should have your springs changed or at least have your gun checked for proper spring tension. A second attempt MAY give you more information.

Of course, if the indent is so deep it's unreasonable to suspect a soft strike, then you almost have to assume bad primer. Then you have the old parachute delema. You don't know if it will work until you pull the chord. All we can do in that case is buy quality ammo, from a reputable company, and practice, practice, practice....

Certainly the concern you expressed is valid, which is why I would try to have a 'real' expert look at the situation and try for an explanation. Void of an explanation, again, I would have a 'smith' check things out to insure it wasn't the gun fault.

I guess like some have advised, running a couple hundred rounds through the gun with no failures would accomplish the same thing. Just depends where you want to spend your money, and, if you do have another failure your back to paying a smith.

My .02

I usually fire off what is in the cylinder or magazine anytime I go to the range. I've never had a problem with Remington ammunition, either with the revolver or now with the 9mm.

i havent any issues with any PP rounds, but i shoot FMJ and 1 mag worth of pp and no FTF or FTE...

PP ammo is kinda pricey to shoot all the time ...IMO if you shoot target rounds with out any FTF or FTE your SD should do the same..
    I ask what LEO's are using lately, answer Gold dots, corbon,Federal HST...

Also the winchester PDX1 JHP ...
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Quote Originally Posted by jsunsr View Post
    What ultimately happened to the round? You didn't say. Did you try it again. I would think a second strike on the primer would be informational. If it again fails, then it sounds like a bad primer. If it fires, then perhaps you should have your springs changed or at least have your gun checked for proper spring tension. A second attempt MAY give you more information.

Of course, if the indent is so deep it's unreasonable to suspect a soft strike, then you almost have to assume bad primer. Then you have the old parachute delema. You don't know if it will work until you pull the chord. All we can do in that case is buy quality ammo, from a reputable company, and practice, practice, practice....

Certainly the concern you expressed is valid, which is why I would try to have a 'real' expert look at the situation and try for an explanation. Void of an explanation, again, I would have a 'smith' check things out to insure it wasn't the gun fault.

I guess like some have advised, running a couple hundred rounds through the gun with no failures would accomplish the same thing. Just depends where you want to spend your money, and, if you do have another failure your back to paying a smith.

My .02
    I did not fire the round a second time. Racked it again and finished the clip. As I think I said earlier, I have put over 1500 rounds through the gun and that is the only round that failed to fire. The strike on the firing pin looked no different than all those that fired.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbmeister View Post
    I did not fire the round a second time. Racked it again and finished the clip. As I think I said earlier, I have put over 1500 rounds through the gun and that is the only round that failed to fire. The strike on the firing pin looked no different than all those that fired.
    So, you got a dud round. It happens with all ammo from all manufacturers (although it does tend to be less common on the premium, defensive JHP's).

I've lost count of how many dud rounds I've hit over the years; a single one is absolutely nothing to get one's undies in a twist over, or malign an ammo manufacturer (several duds is a different thing altogether).

Now, I just TRB and keep shooting; occasionally I'll pick up the spent round later and see if it fires on restrike...they very rarely do.

BTW--what were you thinking not testing out your chosen defensive load first?
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

BTW--what were you thinking not testing out your chosen defensive load first?
    This. Always shoot a few hundred of your carry ammo. Money should be no object when your life is on the line.

If you have a friend that reloads, it could be interesting to have them pull the bullet and see what they find. That could reveal is the round had no powder (hopefully unlikely) or if the primer may have fired only weakly.

FWIW,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    +100

Tap.... Rack.... Target.

Bang!

I'm doomed to die! My carry ammo for my .45 is 8-10 year old Black Talon! From reading the boards I'll be surprised if any of them are able to make it out of the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by bugboy View Post
    I'm doomed to die! My carry ammo for my .45 is 8-10 year old Black Talon! From reading the boards I'll be surprised if any of them are able to make it out of the barrel.

When's the last time you shot any of them?

If you run a mag or two through your pistol from time to time, no worries.

If it's been 8-10 years since you ran a mag through...well. Good luck with that.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Ammo does not age, deteriorate, go bad or any other such.
    ....with proper storage (air-tight container, dessicant inside container, proper temps, etc.) ammo should last many a year.

In a hot and humid area you should consider cycling your carry ammo twice a year.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by MarkVII View Post
    If you have a friend that reloads, it could be interesting to have them pull the bullet and see what they find. That could reveal is the round had no powder (hopefully unlikely) or if the primer may have fired only weakly.

FWIW,
    Mark
    Even if a round has no powder there is enough pressure from a primer firing to propel a bullet into the barrel obstructing it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I had this problem with WWB practice ammo in my Ruger SR9c..it seems to love everything else ive thrown at it..I use for my SD rounds Gold dots(124 grain) and Remington UMC hollow points the 100 packs it shoots those great also..but hates WWB ...I switch my CC ammo out about every year to 18 months...when ive shot them off ive never had one fail to go off.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Just curious, but did you attempt to fire the defective round a second time?
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links