Never buy this....

This is a discussion on Never buy this.... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by automatic slim Just curious, but did you attempt to fire the defective round a second time? No, I didn't put it back ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Never buy this....

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Just curious, but did you attempt to fire the defective round a second time?
    No, I didn't put it back in the gun. Wish I would have done that.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by wilbmeister View Post
    No, I didn't put it back in the gun. Wish I would have done that.
    I actually DID with mine(the WWB) just racked the slide back enough to reset the trigger but not eject the round they all went off the 2nd time.

Were they Golden Sabers? Right now i have 2 boxes of golden sabers but when i have the money Im going to buy some Gold Dots. I like the GS I just want to try another brand.

And +1 the silica gel with the ammo. no need to buy them, walmart has them is shoes and other products.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Horsehockey. I suggest you read the following:

The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers - Page 1

I, and others, have duplicated the same test with the same results.
    I'm one of the others. I SUBMERGED range and JHP ammo, centerfire, rimfire, and LSWC revolver ammo in salt water, Hoppe's #9 and WD40. Some went 5 weeks submerged. All but one centerfire round fired. No premium JHP failed. The rimfire had a higher failure rate, but many still worked fine. Pull a Remington (or Federal HSHP) and you'll likely find a tar sealant on the neck of the case. That wasn't it. Goo or gunk in the firing pin channel, slightly out-of-battery, or bad Ju-Ju is much more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I'm one of the others. I SUBMERGED range and JHP ammo, centerfire, rimfire, and LSWC revolver ammo in salt water, Hoppe's #9 and WD40. Some went 5 weeks submerged. All but one centerfire round fired. No premium JHP failed. The rimfire had a higher failure rate, but many still worked fine. Pull a Remington (or Federal HSHP) and you'll likely find a tar sealant on the neck of the case. That wasn't it. Goo or gunk in the firing pin channel, slightly out-of-battery, or bad Ju-Ju is much more likely.
    The deal with rimfires is the bullet has a step-heel that fits into the case mouth. This doesn't seal near as well as centerfire rounds, but it does a decent job under most conditions.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

advantage of a revolver, if you hear a click, you pull the trigger again until it goes bang. On some DAO semi's, pull the trigger again quickly and if it still does not shoot, then slide a new round in.

My guess, the ammo. I've had a round not shoot, put it back in the gun and it shot, and was the only round that did it.

A man at a local range bought his first box of defensive ammo for testing. The Remington GS he chose went click on the first round too. He left with Gold Dots.

Premium Hp Failure

I bought a couple boxes of the Hornady Flex Tip 9mm. I had 2 or 3 failures to fire out of about half a small box. I was using a Taurus Mil Pro. Needless to say I have not staked my life on the other full box that I have left. I'm sure they'll get wasted at the range. I had read of primer issues with them, so I'll not be wasting any more money on Hornady ammo. I've had good luck with the Winchester Ranger HST ammo for my Kimber 45.

Quote Originally Posted by jmrswr View Post
    I bought a couple boxes of the Hornady Flex Tip 9mm. I had 2 or 3 failures to fire out of about half a small box. I was using a Taurus Mil Pro. Needless to say I have not staked my life on the other full box that I have left. I'm sure they'll get wasted at the range. I had read of primer issues with them, so I'll not be wasting any more money on Hornady ammo. I've had good luck with the Winchester Ranger HST ammo for my Kimber 45.
    Ive heard that this round is not good all around... From Hornady i have TAP rounds and shot 16 out of my XDm with no issue..
    I have a 4 left and would get them again,but i pick up some winchester supreme elite PDX1 and they seem to be very good..
    also i have gold dots in my EDC...
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    This is why you should practice failure drills!............All of you do practice this, right?
    No! Please enlighten us!
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by XDM40cal View Post
    Ive heard that this round is not good all around... From Hornady i have TAP rounds and shot 16 out of my XDm with no issue..
    I have a 4 left and would get them again,but i pick up some winchester supreme elite PDX1 and they seem to be very good..
    also i have gold dots in my EDC...
    Hornady rounds in general aren't very good. Those Win PDX1's are a good SD round, though.

EDIT: Hornady pistol rounds aren't very good. Their rifle rounds, however, are superb. Thought I should clarify that.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    No! Please enlighten us!
    Take a friend to the range with you, and have them load a couple of your magazines with a snap-cap or other dry-fire round.

You won't know where it is in the fire order, so when that hammer falls and nothing happens, you'll be able to observe a few things:

- Did the muzzle dip? If so, you may be "pushing" or anticipating the recoil, which hurts your accuracy. Dry fire more =)

- How do you react to a fail to fire? Depending on your firearm, you can try the trigger again (second strike), or move immediately to a "tap-rack-action"

Tap - tap/heel the magazine to ensure it's fully seated
    Rack - fully rack the slide
    Action - This used to be bang - fire again. Seems now it's "target"; get your sights back on the threat. I prefer "bang". I pulled the trigger once, chances are awfully good I'll still want to send that round.

...Ammo does not age, deteriorate, go bad or any other such...
    Well, most of the time. The provided 30 year mark, if that is the only factor, would be reliable. I would happily used for deer hunting, but might not if I was hunting in grizzly territory.

For SD, I keep it to under 5 to 10 years, and really depends on the storage mileage (for example, in a mag used in an EDC, I'll switch out after a year or two).

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    ....with proper storage (air-tight container, dessicant inside container, proper temps, etc.) ammo should last many a year. In a hot and humid area you should consider cycling your carry ammo twice a year.
    Agree, depends how it was stored, where it was stored, and how long.

...Age of the ammo had nothing to do with your problem.
    99.99% agree. I would be equally concerned it was the firearm. Even then, one fail tells little.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links