Never buy this....

Never buy this....

This is a discussion on Never buy this.... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to carrying a concealed gun but decided that it was the right thing to do to protect my family and myself. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Never buy this....

Never buy this....

I am new to carrying a concealed gun but decided that it was the right thing to do to protect my family and myself. I learned that I should change my self defense rounds every 6 months or so. Today I went to the range and instead of using target ammo I used the Remington hollow points that I had in the gun for the past 6 months. To my surprise the first time I pulled the trigger the gun went click and nothing happened. I racked the gun and fired the next 9 off ok but I can't help but wonder what would have happened if the first time I needed to protect myself and that happened. I'm not sure what to trust now. For the record I just loaded my gun with Spear Gold Dot ammo.

Hmmm, normally Remington's go bang, not click.
    Did it dent the primer in the FTF round?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Yes it did. I could see where the firing pin dented the round.

I will never use a round for defensive purposes until I have fired hundreds of rounds of that particular ammunition to ensure it is going to work reliably in my particular gun.

Semi-automatic pistols can be very finicky when it comes to ammo and I have to know the ammo I choose is going to work every time I pull the trigger before I stake my life on it. Now, that means you have to spend some $$$ because these days, defensive ammo from any brand isn't exactly cheap.

In regards to the failure to fire. I could just be a fluke. Hard or faulty primer. Or you could have a weak firing pin spring or other mechanical problem with your pistol.

I would be worth checking out by shooting a whole lot more of that Remington ammo than just 9 or 10 rounds. As Lewis128 pointed out, Remington ammunition is a top notch brand and you expect it to go bang. However, that doesn't preclude them getting a bad load.

I would first check ammunition and then have firearm checked by a competent gunsmith.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by wilbmeister View Post
    Closely compare the primer dent in the round that failed to fire with the primer dents of the rest of the casings that did fire.

If the dent on the bullet that failed to fire looks to be the same depth and shape of the others than it was likely a faulty primer.

If the shape of the dent is noticeably different that those that fired (especially if the dent is more shallow), you may have had a mechanical problem with the pistol. Firing pin spring, or perhaps the way the bullet seated in the chamber.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I can't help but wonder what would have happened if the first time I needed to protect myself and that happened.
    Train for it.......
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

VIP Member
    As stated compare the firing pin strikes, depending on the weapon there could have been something in the firing pin channel or clogging the firing pin slot/hole. How often do you change out the round in the chamber? Did you clean the weapon and then chamber a round? It is possible that solvents or lube got to the primer. Just things to look at.
    Almost forgot as stated train, train and train some more. TAP-RACK-BACK ON TARGET.

One statistical anomaly, of unknown origin, is not worthy of castigating a "name brand" ammunition manufacturer like Remington.

While it stinks to high heaven that you heard a "click" instead of a "BANG", the source of the problem is unknown and thus not worthy of consideration. It is something however to keep in mind, as you continue to test your handgun with more rounds of the same ammo, both in your gun, and a second or third gun.

If the problem repeats itself repeatedly, and doesn't do it with other ammunition, then change ammunition. Until then you are basing your conclusions on subjective data.

Biker

With only one round failing, I wouldn't think that enough is yet known to be able to attribute this to a specific problem. Hard to say it's the ammo, gun, crud or fluke. Your gun could tend to strike the primer a bit lighter; that one cartridge could have had a bad primer, or a primer not seated correctly; some crud could have gotten into the firing pin hole and jammed (slowed) up the force of that first strike of the firing pin.

Uncertain which specific Remingtons these were. Golden Saber JHP? The Remington GS cartridges that I have used in the past (across many different pistols and revolvers) have been highly reliable.

I vet every type of ammo that I am going to carry. Like you, every couple of months I send the active batch of round through the gun and cycle in a new batch into the magazines. So long as my testing continues to show high reliability for the ammo, I continue to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carry4MyFam View Post
    Train for it.......
    Yup. It's a good opportunity to execute a quick clearing of the jam and continuing to fire. Imagine that you're in a firefight at that moment, when the failure to fire occurs. You can't care less at that moment what the specific cause is. Your only goal is to eject that round and to fire the next. Your life depends upon it. The more you can quickly roll with the punches, whenever this sort of thing occurs, the greater is the likelihood you'll perform well if it ever occurs.

Good luck!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I am new to carrying a concealed gun but decided that it was the right thing to do to protect my family and myself. I learned that I should change my self defense rounds every 6 months or so. Today I went to the range and instead of using target ammo I used the Remington hollow points that I had in the gun for the past 6 months. To my surprise the first time I pulled the trigger the gun went click and nothing happened. I racked the gun and fired the next 9 off ok but I can't help but wonder what would have happened if the first time I needed to protect myself and that happened. I'm not sure what to trust now. For the record I just loaded my gun with Spear Gold Dot ammo.
    The only valid reason for such advice is to get you to shoot your SD ammo on a regular basis.

Ammo does not age, deteriorate, go bad or any other such. I have ammo that I loaded 30 years ago that shoots just as good as it did when I loaded it. Same for factory ammo. If you look at most of the imported rifle ammo, it was made anywhere from 10 to 30 years ago. Same for surplus pistol ammo.

Age of the ammo had nothing to do with your problem.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

you should give speer a call and ask if they want to take a look at it. Im sure they hate faluires as much as you!
    it can happen with any ammo. thats why we practice failure drills
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Exclamation ...

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    you should give speer a call and ask if they want to take a look at it. Im sure they hate faluires as much as you!
    it can happen with any ammo. thats why we practice failure drills
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Thanks for all your comments. I have put about 1500 to 2000 rounds through this gun over the past year. It is a Glock 23. That is the first time this happened where the round failed to fire. It only bothered me because it was the first round of self defense ammo I ever fired. I will take up the advice to start using some SD rounds more often. I understand someone saying that I shouldn't castigate a name brand but when something like this happens it makes you explore other choices.

The gun was clean and gets cleaned after about every 200 rounds through it. I check for crud and I check the firing pin.

And as many of you said, it provides for good training. I ejected and went right back to target. In the long run it may be good it happened because now I can be ready for the unexpected and recognize what can happen before it does.

oh sorry. missread that. either way- see if remington wants to see them then.
    phew.. i carry gold dots :) luv em
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Don't be too quick to blame the ammo. Maybe you had a light strike. Is the unfired primer dented the depth as the rounds that fired? If not, it wasn't the ammo.

Don't buy into the "shoot up your ammo before it goes bad" idea (a subliminal marketing ploy). Modern ammunition will last forever given the slightest reasonable care. It doesn't go "bad." I have a stash of WWII ammo and the only "care" I give it is to keep it stored in an ammo box in a closet. Fired several hundred rounds of the stuff and not one failure. Not as shiny as originally, but always goes boom.

Most SD ammo is nickel-plated to prevent casing corrosion. As long as that doesn't happen, the rounds will be good-to-go.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links