.357 magnum vs. motorcycle jacket?

This is a discussion on .357 magnum vs. motorcycle jacket? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have a realistic possible threat directed toward my wife (5'2", 61 years old). Threat (6'2", 200 lbs., age 40) is likely to be wearing ...

Thread: .357 magnum vs. motorcycle jacket?

We have a realistic possible threat directed toward my wife (5'2", 61 years old). Threat (6'2", 200 lbs., age 40) is likely to be wearing a heavy leather motorcycle jacket. We know him to be dangerous based on past history.

(Hopefully nothing will come of this, and we are taking full precautions, but this is a somewhat isolated area in NM, and there is a realistic possibility of a serious problem.)

Firearms she knows and can use are 3" SP101 and 3" GP100, both .357 mag. Our regular HD loads are JHP Buffalo Bore "short-barrel lower recoil low flash" .357 125 gr (1322 fps from 3" barrel), or Hornady FTX, similar ballistics. I'm confident either is ordinarily way plenty for HD, but the motorcycle jacket gives me pause... Thanks for any thoughts.
    Mark

Distinguished Member
    I'm hardly a ballistics expert so my response is qualified. The 357 is well known for penetration to the point of being a concern in some circumstances. As a kid I witnessed a 357 ND that penetrated 2 interior walls, a solid oak head board on a once beautiful antique bed, and an exterior wall. Gone in to the night in a neighborhood. My ears were ringing and my granddad had a whole lot of splainin to do. But all that said, I'd feel comfortable with the round. Sorry for your concerns and very good luck to you.

Just a thought.....FMJ instead?
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    The motorcycle jacket shouldn't be an issue against a major caliber. There are only a few spots that should be double thickness leather, and even then, a .357 shouldn't be stopped by it.

I hope everything works out safely and peacefully though!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Think of it this way, people have taken many animals with the 357 and I don't think prepared leather is any tougher than natural animal skin. You should have no problem penetrating the jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Just a thought.....FMJ instead?
    Yeah, I thought about that ... don't know of any low-flash FMJ, but the 158 gr. stuff I have would certainly penetrate ... maybe too much. I could also get some 158 gr. BB in low-flash JHP, might be slightly better. Generally all the 357 loads pack serious power, of course... so I'm probably concerned for nothing. If I'm home, we'd be looking at 00 buck...

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    The motorcycle jacket shouldn't be an issue against a major caliber. There are only a few spots that should be double thickness leather, and even then, a .357 shouldn't be stopped by it.

I hope everything works out safely and peacefully though!
    Right, I think so, just this nagging thought that might get premature expansion with JHP. And thanks, we sure hope this works out well, too. Good support from neighbors and local authorities, security doors and window grates, but ... Mark

Could a discreet word to local law enforcement be of benefit in her situation?

A leather motorcycle jacket will make a flimsy bulletproof vest against that .357 Magnum load at close range.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Could a discreet word to local law enforcement be of benefit in her situation?

A leather motorcycle jacket will make a flimsy bulletproof vest against that .357 Magnum load at close range.
    Yes, we've done the discrete word, thanks for suggesting, tho in case we hadn't.

Y'all are convincing me we're probably good. Thanks, Mark

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I think that leather vests make poor bulletproof armor. They will stop wind and bugs but not .357. Hope you never have to find out.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

a leather motorcycle jacket, even with the goretex layer and CE certified padding is not bullet proof. Most jackets dont even have padding in the front standard, usually reinforced in the elbows and back area. I imagine if he's an attention whore Hardley Shaverson rider, he's gonna be wearing some "i wanna look like a pirate" leather jacket which is purely for aesthetic, not function. Even if wearing a bionic alpinestar armor under a full race suit...it's not bullet proof...just leather and plastic.
    guns rule

125 grain .357 Magnum JHP, the most effective one shot stopper of all handgun loads, penetrates 13.25" in ordinance gelatin and produces a football shaped stretch cavity.
    I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six shots or only five?" "Is that a Smith & Wesson 686+ 7 shot or 627 8 shot?" "Does he have a concealed Sig P226 SCT and two spare mags?" You've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

I think the .357 should perform quite well against a leather jacket.
    As far as hollowpoints, what the jacket would most likely do is actually plug the hollow point. If that did happen I believe the effect would be less expansion, but more penetration. The round would act like a FMJ. The only concern then becomes over penetration hitting someone standing behind him. If your aim is good, your going to put a hole in him. Hopefully you will not have it come to that however. Good luck!

Links