SIG Sauer P229R .40 S&W ammo question

This is a discussion on SIG Sauer P229R .40 S&W ammo question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey y'all. I just got a Sig 229 in .40. Obviously I plan on practicing with cheaper ammo, but what would you all reccomend as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIG Sauer P229R .40 S&W ammo question

SIG Sauer P229R .40 S&W ammo question

Hey y'all. I just got a Sig 229 in .40. Obviously I plan on practicing with cheaper ammo, but what would you all reccomend as a good self defense round in .40. Price is not really that big of a deal since I will probably only buy 50-100 rounds of it, again, because I will target shoot with cheaper stuff.

So what brands and types do you like? I know almost nothing about handgun ammo since all I have owned up to now is long guns. Hollow point, soft point, balistic tip, etc....

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    There are a number of good, high quality JHPs out there right now: Speer Gold Dots, Remington Gloden Saber, Federal HST, PMC Starfire, and others... Stick with a good brand name in a common bullet weight, then just find the one that shoots well in your gun and that you can get a ready supply of and don't look back. The differences between top of the line defense ammo are extremely minimal from a practical standpoint.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by lands5 View Post
    Hey y'all. I just got a Sig 229 in .40. Obviously I plan on practicing with cheaper ammo, but what would you all reccomend as a good self defense round in .40. Price is not really that big of a deal since I will probably only buy 50-100 rounds of it, again, because I will target shoot with cheaper stuff.

So what brands and types do you like? I know almost nothing about handgun ammo since all I have owned up to now is long guns. Hollow point, soft point, balistic tip, etc....
    That's not near enough to tell if any ammo will work reliable in your gun, and that's the single most important criteria for SD ammo.

As for brand, any of the major brands of SD ammo will do. There's not any practical difference in the performance of any of them.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I carry Federal Hydra-shock JHP, 165gr in my P229....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Check out this like on the Chuck Hawks web site. Soooo much invaluable information for self defense ammo here.

Ammunition for the Self Defense Firearm
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Well in my 40cal PP i have winchester PDX1 165g..
    Corbon 180g and winchester JHP (white box 50ct) also in my EDC i have Gold dot 165g..and brought some Hornady tap to top it off..

Why the all the different rounds well to see what was good in my HG after there broken in...
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

winchester 180 grn PDX1
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Dean View Post
    Check out this like on the Chuck Hawks web site. Soooo much invaluable information for self defense ammo here.

Ammunition for the Self Defense Firearm
    I like that article myself and have referred several people to it, but as far as I can tell it was last updated in 2006, which makes it somewhat dated. As you know, there are several new defensive defensive rounds available today that weren't in 2006, such as the Hornaday Critical Defense line and perhaps some of their TAP line also. Still a good article to help in ones choice, though.
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

VIP Member
    Yeah, I've wondered about the date of that article as well. And while there is some very good info in it, it is still ONE source of info and ONE person's opinions (well, two people's - Marshall and Sanow) and is based on relatively old data. Note that in the "9mm Handgun Table" there is no mention of Kahr, Kel-Tek, or pretty much any company that has come about in the last 20 years or so....

All the recent data I've found basically indicates that a premium bullet from a major manufacturer is pretty much the same as another premium bullet from another major manufacturer. Stay away from "gee-whiz" exotic stuff, find a top quality round that works and is accurate in your gun, and buy a bunch of it. The chance that the bad guy or the coroner will ever be able to tell if it was 5 grains heavier or lighter, or what the case stamp was, in infinitesimally small...
    Last edited by OPFOR; April 25th, 2010 at 11:18 AM.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Both my friend and I use Hornady 165gr Critical Defense ammo. It moves out at 1175 fps. It has the highest Energy and Momentum of any .40 ammo I have found. Not to mention all of the expansion tests done on Hornady have impressed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Harobi View Post
    Both my friend and I use Hornady 165gr Critical Defense ammo. It moves out at 1175 fps. It has the highest Energy and Momentum of any .40 ammo I have found. Not to mention all of the expansion tests done on Hornady have impressed me.
    I'm right there with you Harboi. I now carry Hornady CD ammo in my 380, 9mm, and 38. It's not the best round for punching holes in car doors and shooting through a windshields, but that's not what a "self defense" round is designed for....now for police it's a different story. I think CD ammo does a darn good job through multiple layers of clothing, plenty deep enough into flesh, expands perfectly and leaves all it's energy in the BG.. . .that's all I ask of any self-defense round.
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

I have Federal HST (LE) 155gr in my P229 and G23. About $32 for a box of a 100.
    Last edited by aedinius; April 25th, 2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: More specific.
    Knowing is half the battle.

Any one of these which functions 100% reliably in your pistol in your hands, and shoots with what you consider acceptible accuracy & control in rapid fire.

.40 S&W

Barnes all-copper bullets (140 & 155gr) loaded by: Cor-Bon (DPX40140)
    Winchester Ranger 180gr JHP (RA40T)
    Winchester Ranger 165gr JHP (RA40TA)
    Winchester Partition Gold 165gr JHP (RA401P)
    Winchester Bonded 180gr JHP (Q4355)
    Speer Gold Dot 155gr JHP (53961)
    Speer Gold Dot 180gr JHP (53962)
    Federal Tactical 165gr JHP (LE40T3)
    Federal Tactical 180gr JHP (LE40T1)
    Federal HST 180gr JHP (P40HST1)
    Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Congrats on the P229. That will be my next gun. I want the P229 Elite. I like the ability of shooting a .40 and a 357 Sig in the same gun. I have $250 saved up for it now, I just need to sell another gun.

My favorite defense ammo is the Winchester Talons! In my opinion they are the best and most destructive. Winchester Talons at TDS

The stainless steel looks nice with that rose wood grip.
    Attached Images

New Member Array CW2 Ralph Long's Avatar
    According to Evan Marshall's "Stopping Power" which recorded actual street shootings, the three best .40 Cal rounds are the 165grain Rem. Golden Saber, the Speer 155 grain Gold Dot, and the Federal 155 grain Hydrashok. Fed. HSTs came out after the book (2002), but the 155 grains are doing well most places. Nashville P.D. has been using 165 grain Winchester Ranger Ts with excellent results. Check Ammoman.com for decent delivered prices on various rounds. Ammo to Go has 165 Golden Sabers for 14.95/25 when you buy them in lots of 250 rounds or more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links