Stephan Camp on .380ACP

This is a discussion on Stephan Camp on .380ACP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by stephen a. Camp hello. I am glad that the article was of interest. Best. thank you for sharing.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stephan Camp on .380ACP

Quote Originally Posted by stephen a. Camp View Post
    hello. I am glad that the article was of interest.

Best.
    thank you for sharing..
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

2. Remove Ads

"The biggest problem with the .380 isn't the round, it's the itty bitty guns people carry it in. "

I had the same thought. A friend of mine has the Ruger LCP, and, while shooting it was more difficult than a full-size gun, handling it was very difficult. The mag release was hard to push and the mag was hard to jam in because the grip was so tiny. It was like I was tripping over myself constantly; and that was while I was calm, cool and collected. I would hate to be fumbling around with that little thing while I'm all pumped up on adrenaline.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, thanks to Mr. Camp! I had no idea you were a member of this forum.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Despite it's light weight, convenience and ease of carry, the .380 is nothing to stake your life on.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I dunno...I have no issues running my LCP. I have no issues with the trigger. With the pinky extension, I have no issues with recoil. My only complaint is that I wish it locked open when empty.

All handgun calibers stink. The key, with all of them, is shot placement and multiple hits.

The only issue with .380 is penetration with some JHPs. The solution is simple - use FMJ, or alternate FMJ with JHP.

How many folks who carry a large handgun on their hip wear it every waking hour? Very few, I daresay. Small .380 pistols like the LCP can be carried in your pocket from pants-on in the morning to lights-out at night. That's a big advantage for these little guns. If uninvited guests come calling while I'm at home, I have something on me that I can use to get to my other arms.

Would I use a small .380 to hunt down a platoon of jihadists? No. Will it allow me to protect myself against the most common threats on the street? Yes - as long as I do my part.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

A .380 that is with you is always better than a .45 left at home! Having said that, I make sure that I have at least my Kahr 9mm on me when I am out and about.
    God bless our troops!

The only loaded handgun in Uziel Gal’s (inventor of the Uzi SMG) home at the time of his (natural) death was reported to be a SIG-Sauer P230 loaded with FMJ ammunition.)
    I found this statement interesting, of course I am a bit biased towards my Sig P230. But the article did make me a bit interested in a Bersa .380 for my daughter , the gun looks good , and is very reasonably priced... though I have never shot one.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Good post. I think everyone should have a minimum caliber in mind for CC and stick with it. My minimum is 9mm and nothing less.
    I agree with the minimum caliber rule, mines is a .38.

I agree with the link, there are so many other more powerful guns then guns that come in .380. I just won't trust the .380 to help me out in a jam.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Im carrying an LCP most of the time. I dont have anything else to carry! I did just get an MTAC for my XD-9 service but it seems to print too much and I never wear much more than a tshirt. I will probably end up getting the XD9sc for that purpose.

I think the first manufacturer (XD, M and P, glock, etc) to make a small single stack 9 will definitely rule the market. I realize there is the kahr and pps but neither quite floats my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    The biggest problem with the .380 isn't the round, it's the itty bitty guns people carry it in. Small guns are more difficult to shoot well, even in a relatively low power caliber like the .380. I would be reluctant to carry one of the micro-compact .380s as my sole firearm, but I would not feel under-armed with the same caliber packaged in a reasonably sized gun (say, the Glock 25).

That's pretty much my thoughts on the .380 as well.

I've got big mitts with fat fingers...teeny-weenie pistols just don't work for me. And when I look at .380 pistols that will work, well...there's usually a 9mmP pistol that's the same size, and I just can't see choosing a less-powerful round in that case.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I dunno...I have no issues running my LCP. I have no issues with the trigger. With the pinky extension, I have no issues with recoil. My only complaint is that I wish it locked open when empty.

All handgun calibers stink. The key, with all of them, is shot placement and multiple hits.

The only issue with .380 is penetration with some JHPs. The solution is simple - use FMJ, or alternate FMJ with JHP.

How many folks who carry a large handgun on their hip wear it every waking hour? Very few, I daresay. Small .380 pistols like the LCP can be carried in your pocket from pants-on in the morning to lights-out at night. That's a big advantage for these little guns. If uninvited guests come calling while I'm at home, I have something on me that I can use to get to my other arms.

Would I use a small .380 to hunt down a platoon of jihadists? No. Will it allow me to protect myself against the most common threats on the street? Yes - as long as I do my part.
    Interesting article, I agree with it in general, but disagreed with a few pointsin it, such as some 9mm's are just as small in size as the .380's now. I grant they are getting closer, but not there yet.

I completely agree with the above post.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

1951 - 2011
    Hello. Again, I am glad that the article was of interest and that discussions sparked have been civil.

Best to all.

Administrator
    Note to our newer members.
    If you folks have not yet discovered any other older reviews posted by Stephen A. Camp on DefensiveCarry you are really missing out on some of the best firearm & ammo related "stuff" on the Internet.
    You can find more threads started by Stephen A. Camp on our forum by clicking here
    ~~~> http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...archid=3155463
    It will be time very well spent & it's free education!

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Disclaimer: I know the Rohrbaugh is the size of these guns, but I've seen one in person or had a chance to buy one.
    I actually made the mistake of picking up one of their 9mm at a local gunshop. I really like it, the real mistake was handling one they had sent to a shop. Trigger work, checkering etc...about $750 worth of stuff. As I said this was a mistake, I haven't quit thinking about it since I put it down.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links