My stored ammo... - Page 2

My stored ammo...

This is a discussion on My stored ammo... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Majorlk To each his own. I have something approaching 20k and it all fits into a single 3Wx2Dx5H wooden cabinet. I have ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My stored ammo...

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    To each his own. I have something approaching 20k and it all fits into a single 3Wx2Dx5H wooden cabinet. I have it a little more spread around than that, but it WILL all fit.
    I agree...I live in a small apartment with my 3 year old son, so space is kind of any issue for me. MOST importantly though I wanted it all to fit in one ammo can as it is much easier to hide 1 can from curious 3 year old hands...
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

The plastic bags can actually work against your ammo, as your retaining moisture with the ambient air inside the bags. Only possible downside to using them I can think of at the moment.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

sfl1972, I call that a good start...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Exsimguy1 View Post
    ...Are you sure it is PVC that is the offending chemical in ZipLocs that you refer?...
    IDK....you have me.

Only thing I can find on PVC is it can react (tarnish) metal, but I'm not sure lead / brass is on that list. I am likely misinformed.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Looks like you have enough to get you to the 'bread lines' and back when the SHTF...

You do look well-organized...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm also in South FL and keep well stocked on ammo. I have many thousands of rounds between 9mm, .40sw, and .45acp. Also a few hundred Various JHP loads for each caliber.

It's too much to photograph and I'd prefer not to do so anyway. If you can I'd recommend hopping over to ammunitiontogo.com or somewhere like that online and purchasing ammo "bulk". Basically they discount each box when you buy it in case quantity. For example 50rounds of S&B 9mm is $14.95/box. If you buy 500 rounds you save about $.50 per box and around $1 per box if you buy 1000. So if you need or want more ammo and want to get quite a bit at a time you can always order online and have it shipped to you. It's usually worth it as Walmart sells their 9mm 50 round boxes for $20 anyway. So you're already saving money by buying online. Sure you pay shipping, but no tax.

Just something to think about next time you're thinking of buying some ammo.

If you ever need a heads up about what's going on with ammo in the area or need a lead on something specific, drop me a PM.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I'm also in South FL and keep well stocked on ammo. I have many thousands of rounds between 9mm, .40sw, and .45acp. Also a few hundred Various JHP loads for each caliber.

It's too much to photograph and I'd prefer not to do so anyway. If you can I'd recommend hopping over to ammunitiontogo.com or somewhere like that online and purchasing ammo "bulk". Basically they discount each box when you buy it in case quantity. For example 50rounds of S&B 9mm is $14.95/box. If you buy 500 rounds you save about $.50 per box and around $1 per box if you buy 1000. So if you need or want more ammo and want to get quite a bit at a time you can always order online and have it shipped to you. It's usually worth it as Walmart sells their 9mm 50 round boxes for $20 anyway. So you're already saving money by buying online. Sure you pay shipping, but no tax.

If you ever need a heads up about what's going on with ammo in the area or need a lead on something specific, drop me a PM.
    My Walmart sells 50rd boxes of 9mm for less than $10.00......
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by sfl1972 View Post
    Besides its saves a lot of space as I stated above, cardboard is very poreous and retains moisture. I live in South Florida and humidity is probably close to 90% about 8 months of the year. Higher in the Summer and less in the Winter, but ALWAYS humid. I just want to have that original cardboard off so there is really no chance of any moisture around the ammo.
    It's not the outside humidity that matters; it's what's in the house. Now if one has no air conditioning, it might be an issue but I don't remember the last time I saw a non-air conditioned house in Florida. Any actual humidity under 50 percent will have no noticeable effect upon the cardboard in ammo boxes. Has anyone ever bought a box of ammo from a store and had the box be wet?

The only possible adverse effect moisture can have on ammo is surface discoloration of brass, or absolute worst case mild corrosion. One would have to have soaking wet cardboard in contact with the brass for at least weeks, if not months, for that to happen.

Moisture cannot get inside loaded ammo. Fears about moisture and ammo is a leftover from black powder days and are basically irrational in regards to anything made in the last 75+ years. I've shot WWII .30-06 ammo that was retrieved from water-logged and rotted wooden cases and it shot just fine.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I agree...I live in a small apartment with my 3 year old son, so space is kind of any issue for me. MOST importantly though I wanted it all to fit in one ammo can as it is much easier to hide 1 can from curious 3 year old hands...
    With all due respect, that's what locked cabinets are for.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post

Thank you very much.I will keep that and your help in mind....Also, where can i buy those packs that you put in an ammo can to suck up any moisture?
    Last edited by sfl1972; April 27th, 2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Add on...
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

Thank you very much.I will keep that and your help in mind....Also, where can i buy those packs that you put in an ammo can to suck up any moisture?
    I went by CVS to ask them where they bought theirs and to see if I could purchase any. They saved me about 300 over a couple of weeks and called me back. Gave them to me for free. Any drug store corporate or otherwise should be able to do the same.
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

Quote Originally Posted by Passin' Through View Post
    I went by CVS to ask them where they bought theirs and to see if I could purchase any. They saved me about 300 over a couple of weeks and called me back. Gave them to me for free. Any drug store corporate or otherwise should be able to do the same.
    That's great! My neighbor works at Walgreens...Thanks...
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

Midway and Cabela's sell the Hydrosorbent silica-gel canisters that can be "refreshed" by heating in an oven....the pack that treats ~3 cu.ft. is around $4-$5....lasts forever...I use one in each of my ammo lockers...

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    It's not the outside humidity that matters; it's what's in the house. Now if one has no air conditioning, it might be an issue but I don't remember the last time I saw a non-air conditioned house in Florida. Any actual humidity under 50 percent will have no noticeable effect upon the cardboard in ammo boxes. Has anyone ever bought a box of ammo from a store and had the box be wet?

The only possible adverse effect moisture can have on ammo is surface discoloration of brass, or absolute worst case mild corrosion. One would have to have soaking wet cardboard in contact with the brass for at least weeks, if not months, for that to happen.

Moisture cannot get inside loaded ammo. Fears about moisture and ammo is a leftover from black powder days and are basically irrational in regards to anything made in the last 75+ years. I've shot WWII .30-06 ammo that was retrieved from water-logged and rotted wooden cases and it shot just fine.
    Florida gets some good thunderstorms which mean power outages. south Florida is more likely to get hit by hurricanes. Houses might have a/c here in Florida but a/c doesn't work too well when there's no juice going to it. :-p

as far as ammo going bad due to moisture as the op seems to be worried about you're fine even with our humidity levels. Its safe to bet many a hunter cabin/trailer here in Florida has had ammo stored in it for an extended period of time and the ammo still goes bang every time. take the money you'd spend for anti-humidity stuff and use it to buy more ammo :-D

I would leave the ammo in the original packs and just store the stuff in ammo cans with a dessicant pack, or do what I do and store it in your safe which has a goldenrod dehumidifier in it......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links