My stored ammo...

This is a discussion on My stored ammo... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Careful not to drop the ammo cans. It is possible (unlikely- but possible) to have one round hit another's primer and have it detonate. It ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My stored ammo...

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Careful not to drop the ammo cans. It is possible (unlikely- but possible) to have one round hit another's primer and have it detonate. It would not be lethal, but it could put your eye out.

I leave ammo in factory boxes as much as possible. Then the primers are enclosed. Also, if there is a problem (like a recall) it is easier to find.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar

Store ammo in plain sight

Once I had accumulated about 2000 rounds of ammo, I thought long and hard about where to store same. I do not have a safe, which is, by far, the best and only true storage area if you want to protect same, so I came up with my own idea. I gutted one of those plastic carrycases that drills, along with their chargers come in and use it to store the ammo. I found a nice carton that tomatoes and other produce come in that is slightly larger than the dimensions of the carrycase that I use for storing old newspapers before I bring them out to the garage for the recycle bin, and placed the case into the carton and starting placing the newspapers on top of the case, as it sits in the carton. I have this carton with the case located in my laundry room where humidity is controlled per the entire house. If a smash and grab comes into my home, I have doubts he will spend a lot of time in my laundry room and looking under a bunch of newspapers piled high in a carton. As I said in my title, the ammo is basically in plain sight and IMO the next best place to a firearms safe. Certainly the last place to put your ammo if you want it found is in your bedroom or in a corner of a closet. Your garage is always a good bet but humidity and temp play havoc on contents.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I like to put a few dissecant packs in my metal ammo cans. Cheap extra insurance here in South Florida.
    Definitely...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Be aware that local ordinances may limit how much ammo can be stored in a residence, as it is often considered an "explosive."
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I store all my ammo in these boxes from MTM. Clip off the end of the ammo box and put it on top of the rounds for ID.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    My Walmart sells 50rd boxes of 9mm for less than $10.00......
    My walmart doesn't ever have it, and when they do they get the $20/box stuff. So whatever...I buy what I can get when I'm buying ammo...I don't wait for the magic appearance of cheap. I have to shoot. Plus I don't think 6 boxes at a time is even worth the trouble. For me, anything less than 500 rounds isn't worth purchasing at a time. That's mostly because I like to have lots.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    My walmart doesn't ever have it, and when they do they get the $20/box stuff. So whatever...I buy what I can get when I'm buying ammo...I don't wait for the magic appearance of cheap. I have to shoot. Plus I don't think 6 boxes at a time is even worth the trouble. For me, anything less than 500 rounds isn't worth purchasing at a time. That's mostly because I like to have lots.
    Well, I stop in on the way home everytime I go shooting to replace "most" of what I fired....I also have my Gf look when she goes 2-3 times a week so it adds up....especially if they have 100rd boxes in stock, 6 X100rds a trip works well, of course I spread this out buying .40 & .45 as well.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

only thing i can say is if your saving the ammo for the day you hope never comes have you function tested it in your weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by stoprilshoot View Post
    only thing i can say is if your saving the ammo for the day you hope never comes have you function tested it in your weapons?

Yes sir. All of these rounds have been run through my guns and all work very well...
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

VIP Member
    My question on ammo storage. I am rebuilding my house. All ouside is done doors windows etc. All locked up. I moved the ammo back in today. I can keep it out of sight in the attic which was 115 f the other day. Down in the basement it stays between 50f to 60f. I do not have heat or A/C yet, a work in progess and it is starting to get humid around here. CT. Is it best to keep it in the attic or basement ?. THX.

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    My question on ammo storage. I am rebuilding my house. All ouside is done doors windows etc. All locked up. I moved the ammo back in today. I can keep it out of sight in the attic which was 115 f the other day. Down in the basement it stays between 50f to 60f. I do not have heat or A/C yet, a work in progess and it is starting to get humid around here. CT. Is it best to keep it in the attic or basement ?. THX.
    COOL and DRY are the key factors to consider with ammo storage....
    NO EXTREME swings in temp or humidity....If the attic or basement are the ONLY 2 choices available, I'd go with the basement --- ammo in water-tight containers, each with a desiccant canister to shed any internal moisture, and ALL storage units OFF the floor, on palates or similar raised platform(s)...AWAY from walls.....
    Good luck!

VIP Member
    das38spl.

Thx I have pallets in the basement as well.

/\/\......I would think that a ~constant temp. would be better than one that fluctuates constantly, dunno.....my .02

EDIT: just saw I was late to the party, lol......
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    Look at the temperatures involved and then read the labels on the ammo. The answer is self-evident.

Put it in the basement and buy a de-humidifier. I have a 40-quart unit and the humidity in my basement stays below 50 percent which is plenty low for ammo and gun storage. FWIW, high humidity isn't that much of a big deal with ammo - it doesn't absorb moisture.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member
    Majoril.
    Look at the temperatures involved and then read the labels on the ammo. The answer is self-evident.

I never thought to look at the label.
    Yes I will run the de-humidifier, I will pick up a guage to keep a eye on the moisture level.

Check out.
    Welcome to the CCDL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links