My stored ammo...

My stored ammo...

This is a discussion on My stored ammo... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wanted to share with everyone the ammo I am storing for that day I hope never comes. Though I can't afford to have thousands ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My stored ammo...

I wanted to share with everyone the ammo I am storing for that day I hope never comes. Though I can't afford to have thousands of rounds, I managed to purchase $500 worth at the last gun show and my last trip to Wally World. Down here in S. Florida, ammo isn't nearly as hard to find as it was. So I packed all of my rounds in zip lock bags, labeled them and they went into a new ammo can I got at Cabellas online. I stored it this way after doing a pretty thorough search on this forum....Am I missing anything? Should I store this way? Thanks in advance for taking the time to look and offer any advice....
    Attached Images
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

Your GOOD TO GO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

EBC
    I use the old ammo cans. with a little TLC they work get and are water tight. an other plus is they are easy to move (heavy as hell but).
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***American Legion member***
    ***CCDL member***

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    While handy and readily available, metal ammo cans are not the safest containers when exposed to fire. Believe it or not, wooden containers are better. Wood resists heat transfer much longer than metal. Yes, it will eventually burn through, but the metal container would have "gone off" long before. A consideration for any large amount of ammo stored in the home.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Why the ZipLoc bags? What's the matter with the original packaging?

All my factory ammo stays in the original packaging. Handloaded handgun ammo is in 250 round bulk boxes. Handloaded .223 ammo is in 10-round stripper clips, 250 rounds to the box; handloaded .308 is in 8-round M1 clips, 250 rounds to the box; other handloaded rifle rounds are packed in similar fashion to the handgun ammo.

It's a nice start for the OP, but when you reach the point of counting ammo in the thousands, instead of hundred of rounds, the ZipLocs just won't cut it. IMHO.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    While handy and readily available, metal ammo cans are not the safest containers when exposed to fire. Believe it or not, wooden containers are better. Wood resists heat transfer much longer than metal. Yes, it will eventually burn through, but the metal container would have "gone off" long before. A consideration for any large amount of ammo stored in the home.
    Absolutely!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member
    That was a duh moment for me. Like most of us, I use the old surplus cans. But your point is immediately obvious when I read it. At the end of the day, a fire is a fire and it'll take it all but thanks for the thought.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I'm thinking it's because the ammo in ziplock bags takes up less space. No cardboard and plastic trays.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I would show off my stash of ammo.....but its just a pile of brass, primers, bullets, and powder...

I really need to sit down and reload some ammo, I'm running pretty low right now.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

I like to put a few dissecant packs in my metal ammo cans. Cheap extra insurance here in South Florida.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I'm thinking it's because the ammo in ziplock bags takes up less space. No cardboard and plastic trays.
    That is excatly why I used zip locks. In boxes, that would have filled the can, now its only about 2/3's full. I ripped the end of the box off and taped it to each bag also...
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

Zip Lock bags contain PVC and may react with the rounds. It has been mentioned rarely, but there are advantages to leaving them in orig. package, in addition to this unlikely issue.

If I was traveling, nbd, but for storage, orig. package or containers people use for reloading.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Battle Packs of 7.62x51 are PVC. That is standard in many sources/countries. Are you sure it is PVC that is the offending chemical in ZipLocs that you refer?

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    To each his own. I have something approaching 20k and it all fits into a single 3Wx2Dx5H wooden cabinet. I have it a little more spread around than that, but it WILL all fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Besides its saves a lot of space as I stated above, cardboard is very poreous and retains moisture. I live in South Florida and humidity is probably close to 90% about 8 months of the year. Higher in the Summer and less in the Winter, but ALWAYS humid. I just want to have that original cardboard off so there is really no chance of any moisture around the ammo.
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links