Winchester .380?

This is a discussion on Winchester .380? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at Ammunition To Go's website. 50 rds of Winchester .380 for $21.95 in stock. But, it says that it's 93 gr. and the ...

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Winchester .380?

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array Gene83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,220

    Winchester .380?

    I'm looking at Ammunition To Go's website. 50 rds of Winchester .380 for $21.95 in stock. But, it says that it's 93 gr. and the Winchester that I have on hand is 95 gr. Looking further, I see that this ammo is made in Czech Republic. My boxes are all US made.

    Anybody familiar with the Czech stuff?

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Senior Member Array DIABLO9489's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    1,071
    Can't say that I am. I came across 100 round boxes of the WWB for $35 at the gun store that I bought my new Kimber at yesterday. What 380 ammo shortage are people always talking about??
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

  4. #3
    VIP Member Array Gene83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,220
    Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    Can't say that I am. I came across 100 round boxes of the WWB for $35 at the gun store that I bought my new Kimber at yesterday. What 380 ammo shortage are people always talking about??
    I can see it on Lucky Gunner at $60 a box also. The shortage seems to vary by area of the country and dealers are jacking prices all over the place. I've got some on backorder from Cabela's that's Winchester USA.

    I just hadn't come across the Czech stuff before. Guess I'll have to read all the fine print before I order something.

  5. #4
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    14,627
    A lot of Winchester White Box ammo is foreign produced (as are other "range" ammos). There's usually no problem with it, although it may may some firearms misfeed, etc. That's due more to the lighter loading than quality.

    What you need to look for (be aware of) with any foreign ammo is: (1) Is it corrosive? Much of the cheap stuff is, and unless you're very thorough in cleaning your gun afterwards... (2) Is it Berden primed? If you don't intend to reload, it makes no difference. Most Berden primed ammo isn't reloaded (Boxer primed is). (3) Probably going to be steel cases (non-reloadable) in the cheapest prices. No big deal, but some firearms don't digest it as well.

    Imported ammo is usually affordable and makes good range ammo, but not necessarily the best choice for SD purposes. If you're just looking to put bullets downrange for practice, it's good stuff.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  6. #5
    VIP Member Array Gene83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,220
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    A lot of Winchester White Box ammo is foreign produced (as are other "range" ammos). There's usually no problem with it, although it may may some firearms misfeed, etc. That's due more to the lighter loading than quality.

    What you need to look for (be aware of) with any foreign ammo is: (1) Is it corrosive? Much of the cheap stuff is, and unless you're very thorough in cleaning your gun afterwards... (2) Is it Berden primed? If you don't intend to reload, it makes no difference. Most Berden primed ammo isn't reloaded (Boxer primed is). (3) Probably going to be steel cases (non-reloadable) in the cheapest prices. No big deal, but some firearms don't digest it as well.

    Imported ammo is usually affordable and makes good range ammo, but not necessarily the best choice for SD purposes. If you're just looking to put bullets downrange for practice, it's good stuff.
    Thanks. I had just never come across it before. I was in a gun shop a couple of days ago and heard a couple of guys talking. One said "Don't buy Winchester white box. It's not made in the US anymore." I thought he didn't know what he was talking about because all my boxes are stamped "Made in USA".

    Then I came across Ammunition to Go's listing this morning.

  7. #6
    Member Array Big Larry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    97
    I've shot 100 rounds of the 92 grain WWB through my P380 without any problems.
    Walk quietly and carry a big stick.

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array Majorlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Naugatuck, CT
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    A lot of Winchester White Box ammo is foreign produced (as are other "range" ammos).
    That's interesting, because everything I have seen has Made In USA on it.

    Maybe USA is a city in Poland.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array Gene83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    That's interesting, because everything I have seen has Made In USA on it.

    Maybe USA is a city in Poland.
    I thought maybe the box was just made in the USA.

    Seriously, I think the 95 gr WWB is probably US made and says so on the box. The 93 gr is foreign but the box won't say made in the USA on it.

  10. #9
    Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,226
    Perhaps they're starting to outsource .380 ammo to help fill temporary demand.

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array Gene83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,220
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    Perhaps they're starting to outsource .380 ammo to help fill temporary demand.
    It could be. As long as you know what you're getting, I don't have a problem with it. The only reason I brought it up was if you always thought Winchester white box was US made, apparently now you have to look a little closer.

  12. #11
    Member Array Big Larry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I thought maybe the box was just made in the USA.

    Seriously, I think the 95 gr WWB is probably US made and says so on the box. The 93 gr is foreign but the box won't say made in the USA on it.
    The U380A92 is in fact 92 grain not 93 and clearly labeled on the back made in the Czech Republic, the USA380VP on the other hand is still made in the USA. IMO both are good rounds. In the pic the USA is on the right.
    Walk quietly and carry a big stick.

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array Gene83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,220
    Thanks for the info and the pics.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. How much would you pay for a Winchester 94-30?
    By pcon in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: December 1st, 2010, 10:52 AM
  2. 358 winchester
    By palmgopher in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: February 18th, 2009, 10:22 AM
  3. Winchester Ranger T vs Winchester Ranger Bonded
    By Eddie A. in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 9th, 2008, 05:12 PM
  4. Winchester sx3
    By fernset in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 26th, 2008, 11:43 PM

Search tags for this page

.380 winchester

,

winchester .380

,

winchester .380 ballistics

,

winchester 380

,

winchester 380 carry

,

winchester ranger .380

,

winchester ranger t 380

,

winchester usa 380 ammo

,

winchester usa 380 ballistics

,

winchester white box .380

,

winchester white box 380

,
winchester white box 380 kahr p380
Click on a term to search for related topics.