Ammo question for S&W 340PD owners.

This is a discussion on Ammo question for S&W 340PD owners. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just wondering for the S&W 340 owners here who have tried .357's out in this gun which bullets did not get pulled out ...

Thread: Ammo question for S&W 340PD owners.

Ammo question for S&W 340PD owners.

I was just wondering for the S&W 340 owners here who have tried .357's out in this gun which bullets did not get pulled out of their cases by the recoil?

When I had the 340 M&P version with the steel cylinder,the 135gr gold dots and the 130 and 158gr hydrashoks didn't have this problem in this gun. However the PD model has the titanium cylinder so I'm not sure. I do plan to test the .357 defense loads listed above as well as others but was looking for others experiences as well.

So what .357 loads have and have not had crimp jump issues in your 340PD? Does anyone here think that holding one of these guns to loosely would cause this?

I remember reading that according to the S&W engineers,that crimp jump is caused when someone holds one of these guns to loosely while firing it. Any credence to this at all? Or is it really just dependent upon the given load and how tight the manufacturer crimps them?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I have had good luck with Federal Hydrashocks - 130 grain, low recoil.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    I was just wondering for the S&W 340 owners here who have tried .357's out in this gun which bullets did not get pulled out of their cases by the recoil?

When I had the 340 M&P version with the steel cylinder,the 135gr gold dots and the 130 and 158gr hydrashoks didn't have this problem in this gun. However the PD model has the titanium cylinder so I'm not sure. I do plan to test the .357 defense loads listed above as well as others but was looking for others experiences as well.

So what .357 loads have and have not had crimp jump issues in your 340PD? Does anyone here think that holding one of these guns to loosely would cause this?

I remember reading that according to the S&W engineers,that crimp jump is caused when someone holds one of these guns to loosely while firing it. Any credence to this at all? Or is it really just dependent upon the given load and how tight the manufacturer crimps them?
    I have never seen this happen with factory ammo. I have seen it with handloads that were not properly crimped.

As for the loose hold, that makes no sense. What CAN happen with a loose hold is the recoil can flip the gun back into your face and/or accuracy will be down the drain.

The material the cylinder is made of has nothing to do with it.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

One thing you might want to consider: The Cor Bon DPX 125gr .357 Magnum round uses the all copper Barnes X bullet. Since copper is not as heavy as lead, the only way to make a bullet of comparable weight (125gr for instance) is for the all copper bullet to actually be longer than an equal weight jacketed lead bullet. For the overall length of the whole round (bullet and casing) to be within standard specs, the all copper DPX slug needs to ride deeper inside the shell casing. This means more metal to metal contact within the shell casing (at the crimp), which in all likelyhood means less chance of crimp jump. The other thing is that because of their short barrels, snubbies traditionally post better ballistic numbers when using light weight bullets. The added benefit is that these light weight bullets are less likely to crimp jump. I have a 340 M&P and have not had any crimp jump issues using Hornady, Cor Bon, Speer, Federal or Winchester ammo. And the previous poster is correct. Cylinder material would have no bearing on whether you do or do not experience crimp jump. The PD is about 1.5 oz lighter than the M&P. It's doubtful the reduced weight of the PD would increase recoil enough to made a differenct, but........ who knows? If with a certain round you were right on the verge of "crimp jumping" with the M&P, then maybe the lighter PD could reach the tipping point? (so to speak).

If I remember correctly S&W stated that with the Titanium revolvers you could not shoot lead bullets, only jacketed and the rounds had to be 125gr or heavier. The lead rounds would unseat from the casings.

I carry the BB 158 Gr LSWCHP +P's in mine, the DPX is as good, these are actual results that I obtained:

Bullet Type: DPX Barnes Copper Bullet
    Caliber: .357 Magnum
    Bullet Wt.: 125 Gr.
    Mfg by: Cor Bon / Dakota Ammo
    Model of Gun: S&W 340
    Bbl Length: 1.875”
    Class: Undercover / Back Up Revolver
    Actual depth of BTT Penetration: 9”
    Penetration converted to Ballistic Gel: 12”

Commentary: This load exhibited clearly superior performance in the Undercover / Back Up Revolver comparisons.

Bullet Type: GC-SWCHP All Lead
    Caliber: .38 Special +P
    Bullet Wt.: 158 Gr.
    Mfg by: Buffalo Bore
    Model of Gun: S&W 340
    Bbl Length: 1.875
    Class: Undercover / Back Up Revolver
    Actual depth of BTT Penetration: 9”
    Penetration converted to Ballistic Gel: 12”

Commentary: The Buffalo Bore Load is a semi-custom premium load that also displayed optimal performance from the Undercover / Back Up Revolver

Links