best caliber for short barrel auto

This is a discussion on best caliber for short barrel auto within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering on getting a sub-compact auto for conceal carry and would like to know which caliber hp is most effective ballisticly and expands ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: best caliber for short barrel auto

I am considering on getting a sub-compact auto for conceal carry and would like to know which caliber hp is most effective ballisticly and expands most reliably out of a short barrel 3"-3.5" 9mm, .40, or .45

I'm sure there will be many to reply, but I believe it has more to do with the type of ammo rather than the caliber.

All of the above.

Use a well designed JHP, usually one of heavier weights available for the caliber (147, 180 or 230grn, respectively), and all will perform about the same.

Some suggested reading: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Just scroll down for more info on other calibers.

However, all things being equal--ability to shoot accurately and well under stress, control in recoil, shot placement, % expansion--a .45 will make a bigger hole.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    However, all things being equal--ability to shoot accurately and well under stress, control in recoil, shot placement, % expansion--a .45 will make a bigger hole.
    +1

Distinguished Member
    45; Cause shooting twice just doesn't make sense

(ok, going to make some popcorn)

To be serious, I finally got rid of the 40's that I'd owned and beefed up on more 45's. There are MANY 9mm fans. They can't all be wrong I guess. But the 40 has a muzzle flip that I didn't care for. The 45 recoil is a push and I find it far more manageable. Certainly better for me at least and I'm the only one I'm buying for. But to each his own.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

It is a trade off...

9mm is lower powered, but higher capacity. 45. Is a hog but you sacrafice much capacity. The .40 is a happy medium.

You will need to decide what is more important to you, extra rounds in the mag, or a bigger hole in the BG.

I am a 9mm guy myself because I feel it is an effective round and like the higher capacities.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

9mm with +p rated bullets, the .40 and .45 lose alot of velocity in shorter barrels then the 9mm,means loses penetration and expansion.
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmPro View Post
    9mm with +p rated bullets, the .40 and .45 lose alot of velocity in shorter barrels then the 9mm,means loses penetration and expansion.
    Actually, percentage-wise, the fast 9mm's lose considerably more velocity out of shorter barrels than heavier bullets. If you're going with a 9mm, you're better served with a 147gr bullet.

And a heavier bullet tends to outpenetrate a lighter one.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

That is the conclusion I came too also. I load my G26 with Federal HS 147 for SD. My next batch of ammo may be the Double Tap 147+P, it looks like wicked stuff.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    That is the conclusion I came too also. I load my G26 with Federal HS 147 for SD. My next batch of ammo may be the Double Tap 147+P, it looks like wicked stuff.
    I'm not one to discount anyone's opinion. That's because I have one of my own and don't want it discounted either. Thing is, no matter what we believe, we've got to be into it with our all when we make a statement about it. Looks aint everything is what I'd say. The OP stated a question as to which caliber is best for a shorter barreled semi-automatic pistol to which we all know really has no reply other than our own opinions. Why has the world changed so much since the inception of the modern sub-compact pistols? Engineers and ballistics experts from around the globe making over $100k a year to sell more ammo, and companies just looking for any excuse to get an edge over the competition with a 'what makes it so special' to the market. Putting all of these things aside, and the reasons that you bought into the "short barreled ammo" marketing scheme in the first place......consider your choice on a caliber that's right for you and what you believe to be the best, and what you can get in the way of pistols in that caliber. Personally, I've discounted the short barreled ammo marketing tactics long ago. I never fell for it as I live on my own experiences and let few dictate what I should and shouldn't have in order to save my own life, and I don't loose any sleep over it. If you can hit where you want with your sub-compact pistol, then that's all there is to be no matter what caliber or bullet nor anything else. I will say one thing...in my experience with several calibers in different size semi auto pistols, is that the 40S&W caliber seems to be the most accurate for me in my pistols, and especially the sub-compact size. I believe the 40S&W is probably the most inherently accurate out of all the calibers in the pistols I've shot. Those are the main reasons I carry a pistol in 40S&W, and I carry a compact or sub-compact, and use the same PD ammo I've used for years before the SB/PD ammo ever thought about making a scene and confusing the issues at hand. In my honest opinion, if you're buying into the hype, the marketing tactics, or what everyone else is doing, then you're coming up short on the short barreled ammo ordeal. Math, statistics, sales analysis, scientific proof, R&D, engineering trials.......has nothing to do with you saving your life by firing a shot or several from your semi-auto pistol. Game hunting ammo might be a different story, and that's why many of us regular folks reload our own ammo with specifics and ballistics in mind. On the street and up close, it's you that makes the difference in everything that goes down or has a chance to fire back. There are no myths, warranties, or marketing schemes attached to that.....you'll be on your own without technical support. Make the best of it and forget the nonsense that plagues your mind from doing what you believe is right.

I had a .40 in a 4 inch barrel and couldnt see carrying it much longer for SD/CC. The muzzle flip just was not what I wanted. I cant imagine shooting .40 in anything shorter. Velocity plays a major role in expansion,this is proven fact. So..Im thinking a +P 9mm HP. My opinion of course...im not trusting a good enough velocity/expansion from a .45acp in that short of a barrel. Id go with a +P or even a +P+ in 9mm, whichever one you feel you shoot best.

Well thanks for all your advice guys I guess my real question was which caliber is least affected by a short barrel but that will quickly lead to a caliber argument that I really don't care to start, but I am a fan of the .40 so I guess I'll start there I'm also looking at m&p 40c for my weapon of choice so any prefered ammo for that let me know, once again thanks for the advice.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    All handgun calibers can be assumed to be "short-barreled." The difference between a 2-inch snubbie .357 and a 6-inch .357 looks like a lot on paperwork, but to the guy on the receiving end, the numbers mean nothing; it hurts!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    Actually one decent advantage to "short barreled ammo" are newer propellants tailored to reduce muzzle flash.

Good point Old Vet, makes me wanna stick with my old colt agent snubby .
    TheRevolverGuy likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links