Best SD .380 ammo?

This is a discussion on Best SD .380 ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Augrunt while your there.. Cabela's -- Gun Digest 09 Oooooooooo. Nice book. I'll see if I can add it to my order. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best SD .380 ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Augrunt View Post
    while your there..Cabela's -- Gun Digest 09
    Oooooooooo. Nice book. I'll see if I can add it to my order. Thanks.

As far as defense ammo, like I said.."the best that you can actually get". I started out saying that I wouldn't use anything but Federal Hydra-shok as a defense.

Couldn't find it available anywhere in .380

So, I looked at alternatives. I've got 200 rds of the gold dot on hand now.

Will it work and accomplish my objective? Who knows? I hope I never have to find out.

I read ballistic reports. Supposedly, the FBI likes Speer.

But, until push and shove intertwine, you just don't really know.

Hopefully, it will never come to that.

If it does, and I lose....then you can all post "that Speer ammo ain't worth a crap".

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
    Just got a Sig P232 and I know ammo is scarce,my only problem w/.380's but looking for advice on a good JHP. I also have a glock 19,which I love and shoot well.Ammo is cheap,so it gets alot of range time and carried often.Got sig for summer ccw.It was either sig or Kahr cw9 but price on NIB sig was $429.00+shipping,nice.Stainless,nite sights and houge grips.I probably should have stuck w/9mm,but it's a sig!
    Congratulations on your Sig P232. It is a classic very similar to the Walther PPK but with less trigger pull & 7+1. You also got a great deal. Where did you buy it? Right now the 238 is very popular. It is a small mini-1911. They are very hard to find. Some dealers are selling for twice what it should sell for. .380 ammo is also hard to find. Cabela's actually does have some Russian Herter's FMJ and Buffalo Bore FMJ & JHP +P. I think I would call Sig before using +P. If you were sold anything else, you might want to check if it was back ordered. If they had what you were looking for you got very lucky twice.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Everything that Gene said, she looked purty and felt good in my hand but did'nt think about ammo crisis in .380 caliber.I looked at the P238, nice but really wanted a kahr 9mm.The price drew me in at $429.00 from CDNN sports catalog, can't order online.I'm headed to the miami gun show to work a booth with a friend and may sell or trade sig for a 9mm Kahr.I really am a 9mm guy but the sig is a real nice piece also.Can't decide to keep it or not.I do agree with FMJ loads for the .380 and thaks y'all for your replies,I needed the input!
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

Everything that Gene said, she looked purty and felt good in my hand but did'nt think about ammo crisis in .380 caliber.I looked at the P238, nice but really wanted a kahr 9mm.The price drew me in at $429.00 from CDNN sports catalog, can't order online.I'm headed to the miami gun show to work a booth with a friend and may sell or trade sig for a 9mm Kahr.I really am a 9mm guy but the sig is a real nice piece also.Can't decide to keep it or not.I do agree with FMJ loads for the .380 and thaks y'all for your replies,I needed the input!
    Don't you ever dare even think about selling or trading the SIG.

Any gun that uses "To Hell And Back Reliability" as its slogan deserves your undying love, especially when backed up by a lifetime warranty.

I took my carry permit course Saturday. Supposedly, my instructor had twenty five years experience in law enforcement, security, and whatever else. We shot 48 rds.

He looked at my target and asked "What were you shooting...a 10mm?"

"No. It was .380 through a SIG"

"It makes that big a hole?"

"Apparently."

Honest. I have no reason to make this up.

Gene how do you feel about the .380 ammo mess? Will availability get better and pricing drop? I just have that undergunned feeling if I don't at least have a 9mm.My gunsmith carries the exact sig i bought and he feels it's a keeper and a good ccw.
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

Gene how do you feel about the .380 ammo mess? Will availability get better and pricing drop? I just have that undergunned feeling if I don't at least have a 9mm.My gunsmith carries the exact sig i bought and he feels it's a keeper and a good ccw.
    The problem with .380 is that I compare it to .22 caliber. You're looking at 9mm short and 9mm long (Luger)

There's a run on ammo right now and Luger is more popular.

I started buying ammo long before I bought the gun.

The gun wasn't available, but I knew what I wanted and why I wanted it.

.380 Winchester USA FMJ doesn't last long at any dealer. I've got 300 rds on hand and another 500 rds on backorder.

I've got 200 rds of the Speer JHP on hand.

Oh, and I have 24 rds of Glaser Safety Slugs.

So, I think I've got enough ammo to stop a bad guy.

That only works if the gun works.

I took a SIG P-232 range gun rental and ran 48 rounds of Korean PMC ammo through it (which has to be some of the filthiest ammo I've seen) and the gun never so much as hiccuped. It just kept punching the holes in the paper.

Out of 48 rounds on a B-27 target, 1 shot was within the "X", 13 hit the ten ring, 15 hit the nine ring, 12 hit the eight ring, 2 hit the seven ring....and I have no idea where the rest went.

I've got cataracts. I couldn't see the rings. I just pointed toward the center of the silhouette.

The last time that I shot a gun was 1966.

That's why my weapon of choice is a SIG.

Oh, and it's still purty.

VIP Member
    The price should draw you in. A new Sig 232 in stainless w/ NS has an MSRP of $900.00. I'll have a look at CDNN. If it was not a mis-print, $429.00 is just about $150-200 under dealer cost. Since Sig went dealer direct, the more you buy, the more they discount. There is no shortage of 232's. There are plenty around, I just don't know anyone that is giving them away. The night sights alone add $100 to cost. A stainless finish adds another $100.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    The price should draw you in. A new Sig 232 in stainless w/ NS has an MSRP of $900.00. I'll have a look at CDNN. If it was not a mis-print, $429.00 is just about $150-200 under dealer cost. Since Sig went dealer direct, the more you buy, the more they discount. There is no shortage of 232's. There are plenty around, I just don't know anyone that is giving them away. The night sights alone add $100 to cost. A stainless finish adds another $100.
    My little darling came from Bud's in Kentucky. With tax, insurance and shipping....$723.88

Here's what she looks like.

That's what floats my boat.

Oh, and just as a side note..stainless is stainless through and through. My baby doesn't have some cheap plating job.
    Last edited by Gene83; May 3rd, 2010 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Defending my little SIG's honor

Not a misprint bud, I was looking at my gunsmiths sig while he ordered mine from his catalog.It was on special and they said they had plenty,looks just like yours!
    I can conceal my glock 19 under anything except a good fitting t shirt. I carry it in a elite tactical IWB holster which is very comfortable.Small of the back holster would be nice for sig.
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

Just got a Sig P232 and I know ammo is scarce,my only problem w/.380's but looking for advice on a good JHP. I also have a glock 19,which I love and shoot well.Ammo is cheap,so it gets alot of range time and carried often.Got sig for summer ccw.It was either sig or Kahr cw9 but price on NIB sig was $429.00+shipping,nice.Stainless,nite sights and houge grips.I probably should have stuck w/9mm,but it's a sig!
    Speer Gold Dots!

I've bought a few guns from Bud's, it's hard to beat thier prices sometimes.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Not a misprint bud, I was looking at my gunsmiths sig while he ordered mine from his catalog.It was on special and they said they had plenty,looks just like yours!
    I can conceal my glock 19 under anything except a good fitting t shirt. I carry it in a elite tactical IWB holster which is very comfortable.Small of the back holster would be nice for sig.
    Sounds good to me. Keep her out of the ditches.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    My little darling came from Bud's in Kentucky. With tax, insurance and shipping....$723.88

Here's what she looks like.

That's what floats my boat.

Oh, and just as a side note..stainless is stainless through and through. My baby doesn't have some cheap plating job.
    That is the going price, a good price if your's also has Sig night sights. Bud is a high volume dealer. I can tell you that he didn't make make much from your sale.
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    That is the going price, a good price if your's also has Sig night sights. Bud is a high volume dealer. I can tell you that he didn't make make much from your sale.
    Yep, just like the picture..Sig night sights included.

I didn't dicker around with them.

They told me what they wanted for the gun and I agreed.

Since they just moved to a larger facility this past weekend, they must be making money somewhere.

Gene how do you feel about the .380 ammo mess? Will availability get better and pricing drop?
    Cabella's has lots of Buffalo Bore +P JHP and ball in stock for defense and Academy is selling FMJ Monarch .380 for under $15 a box (about two bucks more for crappy Monarch HP). Ammo is available and cheap, you just don't have the wide variety of choices siting on the shelf as you do with 9x19.

corbon DPX.

it'll hurt ya'.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links