Best SD .380 ammo?

This is a discussion on Best SD .380 ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bikerboy Just got a Sig P232 and I know ammo is scarce,my only problem w/.380's but looking for advice on a good ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best SD .380 ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
    Just got a Sig P232 and I know ammo is scarce,my only problem w/.380's but looking for advice on a good JHP...
    Bikerboy,

Congrats on the P232!

Of all the thirty-some handguns I've owned, the P232 is right up near the top of the list as the finest. My CCW of choice is my Kahr CW45, but for lighter carry at a lower 'threat level', the P232 is right there at my #2 spot.

Fantastic workmanship, great ergonomics, great feel, near perfect reliability, and it's even got great looks. Mine's loaded with Hornady 90 gr. JHP/XTP's. I carry my CW45 in a High Noon Bare Asset IWB holster, and one of my next purchases will be a Bare Asset for the P232.

Great choice for a CCW, and the longer you have it & the more you shoot it, the more you'll like it!

Regards,
    Jim

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs up

Thanks Jim,
    I just ordered a galco scout w/clip IWB for my sig P232 and also a real nice holster from elite tactical.A #2 IWB BCH w/clip,check out Elite,good stuff.Just got the same holster for my glock and it's comfortable and sturdy and pistol fits perfectly.I got a box of herter's 95 grain FMJ for my sig from a bud today to get started.Can't wait to get to the range with my new partner!
    Heres my Sig:
    Attached Images
    Last edited by bikerboy; May 6th, 2010 at 04:00 PM.
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

Heres my glock 19:
    I added ext slide release,magwell plug,neon nail polish on front bead sight and
    a 4 leaf clover engraved on slide back plate to make it mine!
    Attached Images
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

Smile

bikerboy,

Boy is that a great looking gun and what a deal!!
    I own a Walther PPK/S .380acp and my experience with ammo goes like this:
    FMJ is mostly available from Winchester, WWB but finding it in my area is spotty, WalMart is the most likely source.
    S.D. ammo I use is strictly "Pow'RBall" and "Hornady Critical Defense". I get them from Cabella's on line.
    My experience with plain JHP's is that my gun really doesn't like them but will fire ball ammo all day long so my theory is that the Pow'RBall & HCD imitate ball ammo with the polymer insert & therefore work great.
    Should you decide that the anxiety over ammo is too much to deal with I will gladly help you out and take that Sig off your hands for the same price you paid, besides that I've got 1,200 rounds, approx., that i could feed her:)
    Good Luck
    SEMPER FI
    Life member: DAV
    Life member: USMC
    Life member: MOPH
    Member: NRA
    Life member: VVA

Sorry jack,not just yet,lol.I use ammotogo on line for my 9mm ammo and looks like cabelas or lucky Gunner for .380's.Ck out Lucky gunner,nice choices and prices w/availability.I work a couple of local gun shows and usually find good 90 or 95 grain ammo for .380 from 2 dealers at fair price.
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

[QUOTE=bikerboy;1606343]Thanks Jim,
    I just ordered a galco scout w/clip IWB for my sig P232 and also a real nice holster from elite tactical.A #2 IWB BCH w/clip,check out Elite,good stuff.Just got the same holster for my glock and it's comfortable and sturdy and pistol fits perfectly.I got a box of herter's 95 grain FMJ for my sig from a bud today to get started.Can't wait to get to the range with my new partner!
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

Lightbulb

Sorry jack,not just yet,lol.I use ammotogo on line for my 9mm ammo and looks like cabelas or lucky Gunner for .380's.Ck out Lucky gunner,nice choices and prices w/availability.I work a couple of local gun shows and usually find good 90 or 95 grain ammo for .380 from 2 dealers at fair price.
    I'm sure you know that I was only concerned about the stress being inflicted upon you and just wanted to help:)
    Have fun!
    SEMPER FI

No worries jack,You have been a great help.Question for you,are you familiar with the S&W M&P compact 9mm? Just comparing this one to my glock 19 for ccw.Glock gets to be a load at times.
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

Thanks peckman for ammo advice. I lived on Oahu,just off kalani st. back in late 70's.It was a beautiful place then.
    Wow small world. It's still beautiful out here, just a lot more crowded now.

I hope you find some good stuff for the .380 there. I use the Federal in my Beretta Cheetah and I really like it. Like others have said, the 90-95 gr JHP rounds are probably your best bet, outside of the heavier Golden Saber stuff, which my gun likes. Best of luck!

Thumbs up

I ordered buffalo bore 90 JHP's and Sellier/Bellott 95 fmj from cabelas.These should be good choices.For EDC I will alternate the 2.When I get ready to retire I want a quiet place where I can shoot cans in my own backyard!!
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

Cool

No worries jack,You have been a great help.Question for you,are you familiar with the S&W M&P compact 9mm? Just comparing this one to my glock 19 for ccw.Glock gets to be a load at times.
    I agree, the G19 does get to be a load but what I'm finding out is that the trick is to get the proper holster.
    I have ordered a MS VMII for each of my guns but in the meantime until they get here I'm using some others. For my G19 I'm currently using a Tucker Silent Thunder IWB. It's a pretty cool holster because It's a combination of Kydex on the outside with a leather lined interior. I've never had a holster fit as well as this one does. On the downside however it suffers from the same problem that 99% of holsters do, it has only one point, the clip, that carries the weight as opposed to the MS design that has two.
    The S&W M&P model is a gun I've never held but I hear a lot of good things about it. At one time I owned a S&W Sigma SW9VE 9mm and I really like that gun but sold it after I got my G19 because of round capacity. I'm not the type of guy to carry extra magazines, CC the gun is enough for me at 5' 10" & 160lbs. The G19 solved that problem and now all I need is the proper holster to come in.
    SEMPER FI

Thanks jack,
    I have a fobus tactical paddle for my G19 and it's great.I just got a Don Hume 715 IWb for it and it's not bad.Guess I should spend a little more a get a good IWB with cant and belt snaps for easy on and off.
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

anyone ever shoot ammo from these folks? Stars and Stripes Custom Ammunition They touted this ammo in .380 and .32 ACP on the Seecamp Forum a few years ago. I still have a stash of .380's but will consider this product when I have to reorder.

I also looked at the Storm Gene,are you familiar at all w/S&W M&P compacts?
    Been looking at them in 9mm. I'm a 9mm guy all the way.
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

I can't tell you how many holsters I bought in the $30-$80 range that are in my holster box and I'll never use them. I could have saved myself a lot of money had I been patient enough to order a belt from Beltman & holsters from MS from day one.
    SEMPER FI

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links