9mm Magtech vs. DPX - Page 2

9mm Magtech vs. DPX

This is a discussion on 9mm Magtech vs. DPX within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nice Post RebelRabbi...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nice Post RebelRabbi

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    Sure they will-----MAYBE ! That "maybe" is why I choose to buy, and carry, the very best there is to protect my life and the lives of those I love.
    I can apprecitate your desire to protect your life and the lives of those you love, as you put it. Even if it means buying overpriced
    hyped ammo to accomplish that.

But that doesn't alter the fact that the the Win Ranger 127 +P+
    and the Speer Gold Dot 124 +P are proven rounds commonly used by LE agencies.. I retired from a 6000 member LE agency where
    the duty ammo was the ranger and the gold dot is the issued NYPD
    ammo.. The choice of the aforementioned rounds doesn't come from what we read in a gun magazine or solely about how far it penetrates ballistic gel. The choice was made as a result of exhaustive T&E and by the effectiveness of real life police shootings. And finally believe me, all the LEO's that carry the aforementioned loads, want to go home to their familes at the end of the day as much as you do.

Quote Originally Posted by cavnamvet View Post
    I can apprecitate your desire to protect your life and the lives of those you love, as you put it. Even if it means buying overpriced
    hyped ammo to accomplish that.

But that doesn't alter the fact that the the Win Ranger 127 +P+
    and the Speer Gold Dot 124 +P are proven rounds commonly used by LE agencies.. I retired from a 6000 member LE agency where
    the duty ammo was the ranger and the gold dot is the issued NYPD
    ammo.. The choice of the aforementioned rounds doesn't come from what we read in a gun magazine or solely about how far it penetrates ballistic gel. The choice was made as a result of exhaustive T&E and by the effectiveness of real life police shootings. And finally believe me, all the LEO's that carry the aforementioned loads, want to go home to their familes at the end of the day as much as you do.
    The price of the issued round is a huge factor in determining which round a department or agency will use. Most departments that I know of buy a lot at the initial time of order since they have the funding at that time for the purchase and who knows what happens next year. That means they may use an inferior round to something newer on the market simply because they bought a ton of it and haven't used it up. Having said that, both the Gold Dot and Ranger T are both very good ammo. I have some Ranger T rounds on hand myself in various calibers. I prefer Federal HST but either of these alternatives will be a very good choice for anyone looking for defense ammo.

and Hello to fellow Broward resident
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    The price of the issued round is a huge factor in determining which round a department or agency will use. Most departments that I know of buy a lot at the initial time of order since they have the funding at that time for the purchase and who knows what happens next year. That means they may use an inferior round to something newer on the market simply because they bought a ton of it and haven't used it up. Having said that, both the Gold Dot and Ranger T are both very good ammo. I have some Ranger T rounds on hand myself in various calibers. I prefer Federal HST but either of these alternatives will be a very good choice for anyone looking for defense ammo.

and Hello to fellow Broward resident
    And hello to you too; would like to meet you sometime.

You are correct in stating some small Police Agencies are constrained by purchasing policies imposed upon them by local govt.
    However, the ammo purchasing process you eluded to is not the norm in a progressive department these days. As retired police chief who managed a $25 Mil annual budget for 10 yrs., I can tell you that.

Meanwhile, the agencies I made reference to are free to select any ammo they choose... and do so as a result of T&E like I wrote... Not to mention if money were a huge issue, the ranger and gold dot would be out of the question since it is a relatively costly option.

My whole point in responding to Coffee was to let the members know
    there are excellent alternatives to spending enormous amounts to purchase a hyped handgun magic bullet. There is no such thing. The only bullets close to magic come out of rifle barrels. He and others of the same mind set would be better served working toward consistent shot placement and getting multiple good hits.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links