Different loads for different seasons

This is a discussion on Different loads for different seasons within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have found the Hydrashok round to be about the best compromise for me in regards to penetration, expansion, and weight retention. They also has ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Different loads for different seasons

I have found the Hydrashok round to be about the best compromise for me in regards to penetration, expansion, and weight retention. They also has the added benefits of low muzzle flash, and low recoil. No I dont change ammo, I want to reduce the amount of surprises I get in a fight. I've fired enough rounds to know how the rounds going to function. Yes I do worry about overpenetration. If I'm going to shoot its going to be because my family is in trouble and I dont want to place my child or wife in any more danger than they already would be in.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by David III
    Why?
    Absolutely no offense meant at all, really trying to learn. I spent a fair amount of time considering what ammo to carry. If it's not that important, then I will just go back to FMJ and not worry about it.
    Lethal threat management is a huge subject.

First, we do everything we can to avoid. Next we do our best to escape.

Now we also need to train, dry fire, live fire, shoot and move, move and shoot, learn our firearms, learn use of cover, concealment, learn how to handle the adrenalin hit, etc, etc, etc.

Suggest a read of In Gravest Extreme, Principles of Personal Defense, as a beginning.

Any quality ammunition in .38, 357, 9MM, 40, 44, 45 will do the job if you do yours. No magic bullets.

As an old friend wrote many years ago and I paraphrase 'lower your expectations of your ammunition and gun, and raise your expectations of tactics and marksmanship'.

Instead of chasing magic guns and ammo, chase training. :))
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

sm
    KC135,

Great Posts and I agree 110% !!
    Use Enough Gun

sm
    Something else -
    Marketing is great - sometimes.
    Creative Marketing IMO is negative for most folks in this serious business of CCW.

Find a gun that fits YOU,, meaning you can reach and operate all controls and get quick accurate hits.
    The ammo is reliable 200 rds Including all Mags in testing.
    Then check Ammo shoots POA/POI
    I suggest having more than one Brand / Ammo choice in the event the store is out of, quits carrying, or you out of town and need more - having already checked a variety of ammo as mentioned about YOU know for YOUR gun.

FWIW, I also believe in having at least 3 of same CCW and prefer 4.
    One is primary, one is backup, one in case one needs repair/taken in as evidence and one off-site somewhere.

Some guns I use are over 20 years old still using the same loads year round I tested back when. If it ain't broke - don't fix it.

Borrowing from Another Discipline :

Shooting is 90% Mental , the other 10% is Physical .

Physical include the gun, the loadings...
    Find a gun that fits, the loads are reliable, then quit messing with it! You have taken care of the Physical....

Now you can better use all of the 90% of the Mental to focus on mindset, targets,...

Good shooters are made - not born...

Practice, become one with the gun until it is an extension of you, practice until the Physical is natural, freeing up the Mental - and never stealing from the 90% Mental Aspect toward Physical...

-Fred Misseldine.

For you young folks, Champion at Skeet, Trap and hunting -
    "If he could see it - he could fell it".

Simplify!

I prefer to focus on mindset and mental, the physical was taken care of a long time ago. For ME.

Steve
    Use Enough Gun

Same gun, same load, year round. Yes, I worry about over-penetration, so I focus on shot placement.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Senior Moderator
    I carry a 9mm loaded with 124 +P GD's year round. But, we really don't have the heavy coat winters here that the more northern areas do.

Ben,
    Penetration vs lack of penetration seems to always be an issue. While I don't believe there is a magic bullet, I do believe some bullets perform better under some conditions than others and I gather that's what you are inquiring about. Bullet effectiveness seems to be directly related, to a degree, to penetration.

As for the Corbon round you mentioned, I think that 12 to 16 inches of penetration through 2 layers of denum is about right. And, of course, it always depends on the situation. If we shoot a BG from front to back, a bullet with 12 to 16 inches might go through and have something left to hurt someone else. But, if we shoot a BG from the side (side to side), that 12 to 16 inches looks pretty good.

Plus, I don't know that I've heard of an actual civilian shooting where over-penetration was an issue. I wonder sometimes if over penetration isn't a little "over-talked". I'm not saying it isn't a problem, but sometimes problems can become bigger than life.

Yes i switch but not like some i will keep the spare mag loaded with ball and still the primary with hollow in summer go all hollow

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Shure do , I go to ball ( when out boondockin ) in my ccw for snake season since i really dont like snakes , but dont value them enough to waste hp ammo on them lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    Tangle I know what you are talking about. I have no military experience and I'm not a hunter. But I had a grandfather that sweared through out his life that he killed two deer with one shoot. I know it was a long gun and not a hand gun but still I do not want something like this to happen to me in a self defence shooting. I do want to be respondsible but still do not want to be over or under powered.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links