Different loads for different seasons

This is a discussion on Different loads for different seasons within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do any of you change you loads in your weapon depending upon the season of the year? For instance in my 45, in the winter ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Different loads for different seasons

VIP Member

Different loads for different seasons

Do any of you change you loads in your weapon depending upon the season of the year? For instance in my 45, in the winter season ( for the states that have cold weather ) I use a Corbon DPX+P. This load has a full copper Barnes bullet, 185gr, 1075fps and an impact of 475lbs. A very powerful round and will easily pass through a leather coat. But in warmer weather where less clothes are worn, I'm afraid this round might be too powerfull and over penetration may be present so I use a lighter round. Does anyone else worry about over penetration?

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Worthwhile considerations Ben - certainly in more Northern climes perhaps.

Tho in PA we have quite significant winter weather I do not in fact change my ammo choice. I stick to 124 +P GD's working on the basis that if clothing is especially thick then I accept I may have perhaps something only slightly over ball effect.

I have tho been rethinking a bit as the DPX performance seems superb and I worry less about over penetration to be honest than actual performance - I very well may switch to those. I do want something that, in the cal in question - will do a good job.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

After having read your question, yes, I guess I did that very thing this year but did not actually realize it. I had been using 230 gr FMJ as I'd thought about problems with hollow points and heavy material plugging them. Then, as it turned to spring, I considered overpenetration and went with 230 gr HP. I'll probably stay with the hollow points regardless of season in the future. After shooting through some things around the house (ok, outside the house..), the hollow points just act like FMJ when plugged, so might as well use the HP as they may expand.

VIP Member
    I wish I had a dgital camera P95Carry so that I could show you a spent bullet. It is so perfectly mushroomed that my friends who know I'm a machinist think I did it at work. Corbon garauntee it will get 12 to 16 inches of penetration through 2 layers of denim. But, that too much penetration for a self defence weapon?

Assistant Administrator
    Well - if you go to Steve Camp's site - http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/ you'll find some nice expanded pics, including in more recent times some DPX examples.

It could be argued that yes the potential penetration is excessive - same has been said by some for the .357 SIG GD's too.

I am not sure I would preclude a round tho solely because it has great penetration potential - if we ''back off'' too much toward whimpy ammo for this reason then we in part prejudicing our defensive effectiveness.

Maybe as best we can - keep in mind rule#4 - if time and circumstance permit.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I wonder how the ammo such as pwerball , with a polymer tip would work thru heavy clothing. Been meaning to get some pwerball anyway, might have to try some thru heavy material.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I carry the Federal 105gr EFMJ in 9mm. Based on test data, clothing makes little difference, including heavy denim or leather. Short of body armor, the round is going to do its job. By carrying one round, year round, I don't have to compensate for diffierent ammo and varying POI's.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

Lead Moderator
    Efmj ?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Efmj ?
    Expanding Full Metal Jacket.

The feeding reliability of a ball round, the expansion capabilities of a hollow point.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Think of it as a hollowpoint filled with a rubbery polymer, then closed off so it looks and feeds like FMJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy
    Corbon garauntee it will get 12 to 16 inches of penetration through 2 layers of denum. But is that too much penetration for a self defence weapon?
    I'd be more worried about too LITTLE penetration. I think overpenetration is a myth just like overkill. Either you penetrate it or you don't. Either you kill it or you don't.

I am more worried about a missed shot hitting an innocent bystander rather than a bullet that travels approx 30 feet through air, a couple layers of clothes, breaks a rib or two, penetrates through 6-8" of fat, muscle, and other bodily tissue, breaks ribs on the other side, penetrates through the backskin, through another couple layers of clothes and travels beyond that to penetrate yet another couple layers of clothes..yada, yada, yada enough to do damage to an innocent bystander.

Sorry, maybe with a hardcast bullet, but so far in my research of penetration of certain bullets on actual live animals actually breaking bones and such and getting a through and through with a SD bullet out of a handgun inside of 25y, the bullet that penetrates the farthest with any consistency has been the 200gr Hornady XTP out of a 10mm at 1250fps that penetrated a measured 20" actual animal body before coming to a rest. This was a frontal shot on a feral dog, hit in the brestbone and the bullet traveled 20" and stopped just before the genitals of the dog. That bullet is tough.

I don't understand the desire to switch rounds for different weather. If it makes you confident, go right ahead. I prefer to carry one round that will do the job 365 days a year no matter the weather.

That being said, I carry the 180gr XTP @ 1375fps out of my 5" 10mm, courtesy of Double Tap ammo. I am not worried about overpenetration. Oh since the OP posted his fpe, if you like ft-lbs, that is 755.85 ft-lbs of muzzle energy times 19 rounds in the gun. So we're looking at a little over 14,000 ft-lbs of muzzle energy plus one reload.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

In the winter I carry corbon powrball in my .40 p229, summer time I usually carry a lighter gun with premium hollowpoints of whatever flavor works reliably in it. By the way get some powrball ammo - its some serious stuff and feeds in anything.

Thumbs down

Same guns, same ammo winter or summer.

The ammo in your gun is perhaps 10% of the solution at most.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Quote Originally Posted by KC135

The ammo in your gun is perhaps 10% of the solution at most.
    Why?
    Absolutely no offense meant at all, really trying to learn. I spent a fair amount of time considering what ammo to carry. If it's not that important, then I will just go back to FMJ and not worry about it.

First of all dont go back to fmj ammo for defense, almost a definite overpenatration problem there. I think what he's getting at is that any hollowpoint that functions %100 of the time in your gun is adequate for summer or winter carry. I can agree with that, I just find that anytime I find a different brand of ammo I just have to give it a try. Just about any of the premium hollowpoint ammo out there performs fairly close to the competition. Peoples preference is based on what works in their gun, some are based on hype, some like whatever expands best or penetrates deepest. You can pick apart the differences in ammo all day long but the bottom line is that for the most part all of this ammo (except fmj) performs very similar. Find whatever works in your gun and carry it year round.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links