Ammo for my M&P9c and Glock 19

This is a discussion on Ammo for my M&P9c and Glock 19 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bought my first two pistols today, wondering what kind of ammo I can shoot with it. If I buy some +p is it ok to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo for my M&P9c and Glock 19

Bought my first two pistols today, wondering what kind of ammo I can shoot with it. If I buy some +p is it ok to shoot through the pistols, also any recommendations.

Thanks

I can and do shoot everything through my Glock 19. FMJ, HP, reloads, standard pressure, +P, +P+. The Glock will shoot anything you feed it. Not familiar with the M&P 9c so I can't help you there.
    Oh welcome to the forum by the way and congrats on your new toys!!
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

The genral consensus for the glock is it will shoot anything, but it is not recommended to use lead-non jacketed rounds and not to use reloads with unknown quality. with my Glock 19 i shoot blazer (115 FMJ), federal (115 FMJ), winchester (115 FMJ), lawman (115 FMJ), speer gold dots (124 gr & 147 gr), hornady FTX (115 gr), Wolf (115 Gr). In conlusion, for range shooting i buy whatever FMJ that is cheapest. and for SD rounds i use CCI Speer Gold-Dots becuase it is what the police use where i live.
    Glock 19, Trijicon Night Sights, Hogue Slip on Grip & 124gr Gold-Dots
    With an Adam's Holster Texas IWB Holster (Cowhide w/ Ostrich Trim)

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    My carry ammo is Federal +P+. I don't shoot my carry ammo after I already know that it will work with my gun since +p+ rapes your gun but I never had a problem with shoot it.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Shoot anything in the right caliber, but keep in mind that a steady diet of +P increases wear and tear.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Check the User Manual(s). My wife's M&P9 (full-size) booklet clearly stated that up to +P is acceptable, but +P+ was not and had a brief explanation. I agree with knightrider and OldVet about the wear and tear and with diablo9489 and jlusaf about feeding my G19 pretty much whatever.
    --
    Rayford

Same as all of the above. My Glock 19 feeds everything reliably. I really like Speer Gold Dot +P rounds. Very accurate.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I wonder on the M&P if +P+ is only verboten because there's no SAAMI specs for it. Specifically I wonder if the 127-gr. Ranger +P+ would be okay.

Just idly wondering, though. I carry 124-gr. Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel in mine.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    I wonder on the M&P if +P+ is only verboten because there's no SAAMI specs for it. Specifically I wonder if the 127-gr. Ranger +P+ would be okay.

Just idly wondering, though. I carry 124-gr. Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel in mine.
    That's the reasoning for pretty much every manufacturer not warrantying their guns for +p+.

Howdy neighbor!

My GLOCK 19 gets fed a diet of Remington UMC 115 gr FMJ, Winchester White Box (WWB) 115 gr FMJ, or Federal Champion 115 gr FMJ. Depends on price and availability. I ran a few magazines full of Remington Golden Sabre 124 gr JHP +p's just to verify that they digest properly, the rest I'm saving for special occaisions. I'm real hesitant to shoot lead (non-jacketed) bullets and re-loads of any sort right now. I've heard that you can get an aftermarket barrel and shoot lead, but I'm not messin' with a masterpiece. I would imagine the M & P is pretty similar, would probably handle +p ok and may handle lead better than the GLOCK but I do not know.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Thanks for all the good advice and tips..buying some carry ammo tomorrow :)

Quote Originally Posted by howdydudy View Post
    Thanks for all the good advice and tips..buying some carry ammo tomorrow :)
    Before you start betting your life on whatever you buy, make sure:

- it is 100 percent reliable in YOUR gun.
    - it is accurate in YOUR gun.

You should put a minimum of 50 rounds, preferably 100 rounds, of whatever you buy through your gun before deciding that the above two conditions are met.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Good info for you here....

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

TOF
    joker1, M&P's love lead or jacketed equally well. They do not require aftermarket barrels. Try one you will like it.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Bought my first two pistols today
    wow! 2 pistol in one day???? are you married? if so how did you pull this off w/ the boss? LOL
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links