Speer Gold Dot 357 Mag (short barrel) Whats the point?

This is a discussion on Speer Gold Dot 357 Mag (short barrel) Whats the point? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I picked up some Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 357 mag ammo today. And am now asking what the point is? The 357 short ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Speer Gold Dot 357 Mag (short barrel) Whats the point?

Well I picked up some Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 357 mag ammo today. And am now asking what the point is? The 357 short barrel on Speer's website states the short barrel version only puts out 990 velocity 294 energy?!?!!?! The 38 Special +P puts out 945 and 248! Whats the point in the 357, can anyone find one? Especially since the regular 357 mag in 125gr posts 1450 velocity, and 584 energy.

Seems to me like the short barrel 357 is pointless?
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

it sounds better and tougher ..... 357 magnum!
    joking aside i'm sure we have a bullet expert here that can explain it to you.
    i carry critical defense .38sp +p in my SP101 and don't feel undergunned.
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

What bullet weights? The .357 mag. can typically sling a heavier bullet than a .38 spcl. at the same or higher velocity.

Sorry, the 357 short barrel is 135 grain.
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

What you are getting for that round is a round specifically calibrated to burn off its powder load inside the barrel of a snubby. That means that you are in effect getting the absolute maximum ballistic efficiency of the cartridge. If you look at the chronograph numbers for the 125 gr. standard .357's I would imagine that those numbers came from a 4 or 6" barrel.

I carry the standard 125 grain GDHP in my M&P340 because of the powder overburn - I carry it as a second when I am on duty and as such expect that I may be using it make contact shots - I like the fact that if I am making contact shots that I am also infusing my target with burning powder in addition to a 125 grain hollow point. When I am carrying my 340 off duty or around the house it is loaded with the 135 grain short barrel rounds, as it slightly reduces recoil and follow on shot accuracy. finally as a third choice of ammo, I load it with Federal low recoil .38 personal defense rounds when I put it in the safe, that way my wife can more comfortably shoot it, as I have a Glock 23 to go to....

In essence you get a large number of choices with a .357 and the 135 grain short barrel round is a key item for me to keep in stock.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Speer's 135 grain short barrel .357 Mag is a relatively light load by design. Speer's ballistic tables show it's only 130 feet per second faster from a 2" test barrel than Speer's 135 grain short barrel 38 Special +P (both cartridges use the same bullet).

If you go much hotter than this light .357 Mag load in a snub-nosed .357 Mag, you are going to get a lot of flash and more recoil. The 135 grain bullet, designed for relatively low velocities, would actually suffer a performance degradation with a high velocity. I think Speer's intent with this cartridge is to keep both the flash and recoil low specifically in a snub-nosed .357 Mag.

Perhaps all this raises another question, why a snub-nosed .357 Mag when a 38 Special is cheaper and gets the job done nearly as well?

Chasboo, to answer your last question see my above post. .357 mag revolvers can handle higher chamber pressures than .38 spec can - ergo more power. Even if sometimes it is only a little more I like having the option. :-)

****edited to mention that there is also the macho factor with .357 out of a airweight J Frame.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    Chasboo, to answer your last question see my above post. .357 mag revolvers can handle higher chamber pressures than .38 spec can - ergo more power. Even if sometimes it is only a little more I like having the option. :-)

****edited to mention that there is also the macho factor with .357 out of a airweight J Frame.

I have a 2" scandium .357 Mag.

Ah! 135 gr. is relatively light for a .357 mag. That caliber is designed to throw heavy bullets, so take advantage of that. For many years, 158 gr. was the industry standard for a .357. It still works well with a lot of penetrating power. You'll get kick and flash, but that downside is outweighed by the power of the round. .357 still ranks very high in "stopability".

I'm still waiting on them to stamp the stuff .357 -P.
    Recon1342 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I'm still waiting on them to stamp the stuff .357 -P.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Some hard data points to review:

Ballistics by the inch ~ 38 Special
    Ballistics by the inch ~ 357 Magnum

Consider the felt recoil and report (noise) of .357 as related to .38 +P is significant no matter the shooter or the environmental condition.
    Add to that ability to make follow on shots quickly AND as with relative accuracy.

Do _all_ the math prior to making a judgment one way or the other with these specific two, at a given barrel length, and that includes range time testing under not bullseye precision shooting but combat conditions.

Run the rounds through same length barrel and same type action guns (double action) under 'Bill Drill' conditions.

The Bill Drill Revisited
    http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/382349/2300998

Your eyes will be opened, or closed.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Janq
    Ballistics by the inch ~ 38 Special
    That was very enlightening, I really looked at the comparison between .38spl and .327. It helped me; but, I suspect the .327 naysayers would not be interested.

I felt same NN.

In fact I _was_ among the .327 Magnum naysayers.
    Suffice it to say from what I've now found out I am nearly a full convert.

The physics are there to support it...

Ballistics by the inch ~ .327 Magnum
    Ruger SP101 .327 Magnum | Reviews

...All it needs is a Corbon DPX loading and it would be a serious contender in my Trapper Keeper.

- Janq

P.S. - What this round needs is a short carbine for small game hunters and HD use.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Janq :
    DPX yes, maybe a hard cast bullet; but, out of a carbine/lever gun it could be used for all sorts of small to medium hunting applications even small deer to 50 yds
    I'd like to see a shot rnd, but, first I'd rather have better availability of ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links