Defense Ammo for my S&W 1076 10mm

This is a discussion on Defense Ammo for my S&W 1076 10mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Defense Ammo for my S&W 1076 10mm

Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Kinetic energy is not a factor in wounding effectiveness and has only been marketed in the last few decades when the manufacturers needed a new edge. Thousands of people have been killed with cartridges and round balls transferring far less energy than today's modern cartridges and loads. Recall a time when the .30-30 Winchester making 2,000 fps absolutely shocked the entire shooting industry, as that was the fastest cartridge in existence at the time. So many elk fell DRT to the .30-30 Win yet today, with unchanged ballistics, it's rendered sub-par by a majority of the shooting community. There is so much ignorance in this industry it's quite amazing. I know a lot more about what things are than I say on the open forum, but professional responsibility necessitates my discretion. I just get a kick out of all the stuff on the gun forums. Very entertaining.
    What you are referring to, are the two different schools of thought that have been argued for along time. Almost a Roy Weatherby vs Elmer Keith. I do think that kinetic energy has some effect on wounding potential of a given load. After all, Energy is a measure of a bullets ability to do work. However, I do not think it tells the entire story. If a bullet has weight, its momentum will carry it thru, if it is too light, it need velocity. The idea that a bullet can create a shocking effect, ie hydrostatic shock has also been argued. From what I have seen on game animals, some appear to go down harder with lighter and faster, but may require a coup da grace to finich the job. While others hit with the slower heavier, have a tendancy to run at least a few yards and go down. These rarely require a second shot. The thing is they both work, but in different ways. If you are in an SD situation, your goal is to stop the threat and put distance between you and the threat. Distance buys time, which renders the BGs weapon less effective. SD is not about the capture or arrest of the BG, so you would be stupid to engage anymore than necassary in that situation. When I read this forum, it seems that people have forgotten that its about defense and not combat, two entirely different things, requiring different tactics. Shoot and move, shoot and move, that is the tactics needed in self defense. That is why I think the 135 10mm will do the job..

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I don't know anything about Buffalo Bore, but from what I have seen on the others, they seem to be loaded closer to 40S&w velocities, which is OK, I just think if you are gonna have the 10mm, than might as well have the 10mm power advanatage. But then again, other people may want something else.
    Buffalo Bore loads a 180gr Speer Gold Dot to 1350fps. Original spec for 10mm was 200gr @ 1200fps. Seems about right to me. Plus the Gold Dot bullet is very high quality. Hornady is just available everywhere (almost) so if someone needed something asap it might be more easily obtained.

fwiw: 180gr .40sw from Buffalo bore is rated at 1100fps. I mentioned them because they are always highly recommended when someone wants quality high velocity loads that use real ballistics testing to get rated velocity and energy.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Buffalo Bore loads a 180gr Speer Gold Dot to 1350fps. Original spec for 10mm was 200gr @ 1200fps. Seems about right to me. Plus the Gold Dot bullet is very high quality. Hornady is just available everywhere (almost) so if someone needed something asap it might be more easily obtained.

fwiw: 180gr .40sw from Buffalo bore is rated at 1100fps. I mentioned them because they are always highly recommended when someone wants quality high velocity loads that use real ballistics testing to get rated velocity and energy.
    Yep, that sounds right to me.

if i were using a 10mm i would use something like this from Hornady

Ammunition To Go : 20rds - 10mm Hornady 155gr. XTP Hollow Point Ammo [9122] - $17.95

The XTP is a great bullet, just don't know if hornady loads it to 10mm power ranges. If not, then might as well use a 40.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links