Defense Ammo for my S&W 1076 10mm

This is a discussion on Defense Ammo for my S&W 1076 10mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a S&W 10mm 1076. I would appreciate recommendations on defense ammo!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defense Ammo for my S&W 1076 10mm

I recently purchased a S&W 10mm 1076. I would appreciate recommendations on defense ammo!

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post
    I recently purchased a S&W 10mm 1076. I would appreciate recommendations on defense ammo!
    Try Double Tap 135 grain or 155 grain loads. Also the Winchester Silvertip has always been an exellent load. Beware that many name brand manafacturers download 10mm to 40 s&w velocities.

DT's 135gr load does not sufficiently penetrate deep enough to be considered for self defense. Also it's quite known in the industry that DT's expansion measurements aren't taken to the industry standard and indicates the person who took the tests doesn't know how to measure their loads for terminal ballistics much less publish results properly. Knowing what you are doing goes a long way.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    DT's 135gr load does not sufficiently penetrate deep enough to be considered for self defense. Also it's quite known in the industry that DT's expansion measurements aren't taken to the industry standard and indicates the person who took the tests doesn't know how to measure their loads for terminal ballistics much less publish results properly. Knowing what you are doing goes a long way.
    Here we go again.....Opinions vary, I'ii take the double tap, or silvertips. Killed a white tail deer with a 135 grn DT, one shot stop at under 20 yards. I would think a live animal is a better indicater than ballistic geletin. If you want to know for sure how a bullet performs , ya get off the Internet, out of the lab, and shoot some live things with ribs and muscle and organs, then ya know first hand. Once again go double tap or silvertips

Or you can ask people that know what they are doing.

That being said, the Nosler JHP that DT uses is not a defensive bullet. It's a target bullet. It should not be used as a defensive bullet. I trust Nosler's research more than DTA's testing.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I guess Hornady or a Gold Dot loaded by Georgia Arms or Buffalo Bore. They seem to be well recommended.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

It doesn't really matter. I have seen what it does first hand, and I have 100% confidence in it as a load for social purposes, plenty of penetration in animal tissue which more closely resembles the human body than geletin. Additionally, the bullet holds together well. I would say Mcnett and company are doing something right, they have been in business for a long time, while other wannabe ammo makers remain for the most part unheard of. Yeah, I'd say they know a couple of things.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I guess Hornady or a Gold Dot loaded by Georgia Arms or Buffalo Bore. They seem to be well recommended.
    I don't know anything about Buffalo Bore, but from what I have seen on the others, they seem to be loaded closer to 40S&w velocities, which is OK, I just think if you are gonna have the 10mm, than might as well have the 10mm power advanatage. But then again, other people may want something else.

I would trust the company that actually designed and made the bullet rather than the company merely using the bullet to assemble ammunition. I would rather trust the company that's been in business longer that the owner of the other company has been alive. You want to play this game?
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I would trust the company that actually designed and made the bullet rather than the company merely using the bullet to assemble ammunition. I would rather trust the company that's been in business longer that the owner of the other company has been alive. You want to play this game?
    What game? We could get into a match on this, but the thread would be shut down. I have taken game animals all over the world, and will be traveling back to South Africa in 2 weeks, taking a model 610, and a 41 mag to hunt Blue Wilderbeast, Hemsbock and and maybe a culling hunt. I have used the 10mm to shoot redface baboons, warthogs, and an occasional head of beef on the farm. I know how these loads work on animals. I am sorry, but I do not put any faith in ballistic test done in hardened jelly under sterile lab conditions, or some nimrod on utube shooting water jugs filled with newspapers. I made the recommendation to the OP based on my experience on a live animal with a chest area that is similar and more consistent to a human than ballistic playdough. So you have your opinions based on .....So to answer your question, if you want to argue a point using a bunch of ballistic results produced in a lab, the answer is an emphathatic no. There is no comparison. No contest to what I know from personal experience.

Clearly you have no basic understanding of terminal ballistics as a science. That's fine. Carry on.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Clearly you have no basic understanding of terminal ballistics as a science. That's fine. Carry on.
    A scientist of ballistics? No, you are right. Someone who actually uses ammo in the field, yes. But consider this, if you want to discuss the book ballistics of a given load; for years, when revolvers ruled, the 357 mag with 125 grn jhp at 13-1500 fps[depending on variables such as barrel lenth, individual charicteristics of firearm, ammo manafacturer, ect] was the number 1 rated stopper and darling of the law enforcement community. The 10mm with a 135 grain bullet, loaded at 1600 fps exceeds that standard by velocity AND bullet weight. So what has changed? Have people become tougher? The Nosler bullet is certainly as tough as the old 357 mag bullets with the exposed lead nose and semi jacketed bullet. No, sir, I am not a ballistitcian, but I reload alot of bullets, and shoot alot of animals with these, and develop my opinions on what works in the field. Some people are quick to say that animals will not react the same way people do, and this may be true. But in self defense, it is stopping power, not killing power that is important. And I think that bullet performance is better guaged in a live animals body than in jello. Really, I am just a dumb country boy, who goes by what he sees work for himself, cause everybody knows we caint read those fancy bullet books.

The 10mm 135gr Nosler JHP will fragment at 1500fps and faster. The .357 125gr JHP will not.

There is a lot to bullet design that is not understood by the body public. Just because something can be used in a circumstance doesn't mean it's the proper choice. Sierra opines against using the MatchKing bullet on animals yet many hunter report splendid results. I default to Sierra, since they designed it, make it, and continually R&D each design. They know more about their own products than anyone else in the world.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Fragmentation is not a necassarily a bad thing, as many self defense rounds are designed for this such as Glacier, and others. Depending on the envioroment, such as on a bus or airplane. Also, I suspect sectional density[I know I am not supposed to know anything about that] plays a big role in a bullets ability to perform, or penetrate. If the 135 grain is fired point blank, it may fragment some, maybe not. If it travels some distance, shedding velocity, it may not frag. Once again, my experience with this bullet was almost total penetration of a good sized deer. It broke a rib at a quarting shot and stopped against the right shoulder, under the blade. the bullet was almost completlely intact, although it did lose some of its jacket. It is from this that I believe it would be a good choice for someone wanting the power and energy but not over penetration. I can tell you that the SIERRA MATCHKING is a great sniper round, and target round, but I have never used it on animals. I cannot believe that a 38 or 9mm firing bullets at a measley 300-400 fpe would get the thumbs up, but a 10mm 135 grain anything bullet exceeding 700fpe would not. Even if it fragmented after only penetrating 6 of the FBIs magic 12 inch rule, after absorbing 700fpe, the BG is screwed, definetly messed up.

Kinetic energy is not a factor in wounding effectiveness and has only been marketed in the last few decades when the manufacturers needed a new edge. Thousands of people have been killed with cartridges and round balls transferring far less energy than today's modern cartridges and loads. Recall a time when the .30-30 Winchester making 2,000 fps absolutely shocked the entire shooting industry, as that was the fastest cartridge in existence at the time. So many elk fell DRT to the .30-30 Win yet today, with unchanged ballistics, it's rendered sub-par by a majority of the shooting community. There is so much ignorance in this industry it's quite amazing. I know a lot more about what things are than I say on the open forum, but professional responsibility necessitates my discretion. I just get a kick out of all the stuff on the gun forums. Very entertaining.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links