FTF Concerns

This is a discussion on FTF Concerns within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought a Springfield M1911-A1 Mil-Spec .45 ACP. Okay so today I went out and bought 2x eight rounder CMC mags like these (model ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FTF Concerns

FTF Concerns

I recently bought a Springfield M1911-A1 Mil-Spec .45 ACP.

Okay so today I went out and bought 2x eight rounder CMC mags like these (model #14310).

I bought them to supplement my 2x seven rounders that came with my 1911. However I am having FTF problems with all the mags when it comes to chambering 230gr JHP Gold Dots (from both slide lock then letting the release of the slide stop chamber the round as well as racking the slide myself,) but no problems whatsoever from Remington UMC 230gr FMJs.

I have only put 80 rounds through the pistol so far and my question is this: will my FTF problems be remedied by putting say 120 more FMJ rounds through it and put all 20 Gold Dots through it? (I plan on ordering a 50 round box of Federal LE HSTs as soon as possible because I like how they are shaped and how they deform compared to anything else I've seen)

I really don't want to be relegated to carrying 230gr FMJ rounds of which I'm terrified by the possibility of over-penetration.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sleipnir; May 10th, 2010 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Added some more specific information

2. Remove Ads

When I buy a 1911 I tend to throw the magazines out that came with the gun and put in my Wilson 47D's.

They have always worked for me, with one exception. One of these days I'll get around to sending it back to Wilson for a replacement.

Biker

Some 1911s do have a break in period. Some do not end up liking certain brands of ammo and some of the best smiths can't explain why. Speer has been one brand that for me has been hit and miss. I gave up on it and now prefer the 230 Federal HSTs and they work and function flawlessly in all of my 1911s.

I also agree with the mags, until recently. I used to love the Wilson 47Ds. Do I still respect them? Yes. Would I ever buy any more of them. Never. Why? Well, I tried the Wilson ETMs, Tripp Cobra Mags and the MetalForm Elite mags. They all have a slightly longer mag tube and this greatly aids in seating a full 8 rounder when there is already one in the chamber. The disassembly of the Wilson ETM is more of a pain than the other two due to the design of the basepads. These mags are more expensive but if it came down to it, I would trust the Tripp Cobra Mag over any of them. The hybrid follower and the tube and well, they are great. I would then rate the Metal Form second and the Wilson third.

Getting back to the point, 1911s can be fickle. Mags and ammo can vary from one to another. Good luck and have fun while testing out what works.

Later, Lumpy.

In my history with 1911s, you just need to find mags that will work in your gun. They are all a bit different. I have quite a few mags that wont lock my slide back for example. For 'normal' 1911 mags I would say Wilson is by far the most recommended. Too bad they dont make one for my gun.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Since you are having problems with one particular type of ammo and not the other, it would appear to be an ammo issue rather than a magazine problem. It appears your gun prefers the round profile of FMJ's over HP's. Something you might try is polishing the feed ramp and maybe the slide and frame rails for additional friction reduction.
    There are HP ammo types such as Pow-R-Ball which might function better in your gun since they mimic the FMJ profile.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    I recently bought a Springfield M1911-A1 Mil-Spec .45 ACP.

Okay so today I went out and bought 2x eight rounder CMC mags like these (model #14310).

I bought them to supplement my 2x seven rounders that came with my 1911. However I am having FTF problems with all the mags when it comes to chambering 230gr JHP Gold Dots (from both slide lock then letting the release of the slide stop chamber the round as well as racking the slide myself,) but no problems whatsoever from Remington UMC 230gr FMJs.

I have only put 80 rounds through the pistol so far and my question is this: will my FTF problems be remedied by putting say 120 more FMJ rounds through it and put all 20 Gold Dots through it? (I plan on ordering a 50 round box of Federal LE HSTs as soon as possible because I like how they are shaped and how they deform compared to anything else I've seen)

I really don't want to be relegated to carrying 230gr FMJ rounds of which I'm terrified by the possibility of over-penetration.

Thanks!
    First, congratulations on your purchase. Most Springers are good guns.

Second, run some more FMJ through it. THEN buy different brands of JHP and see if the problem persists.

Third, please try to lose your overpenetration terrors. Any round that will penetrate deep enough to stop a man, will penetrate just about the same in say, drywall. In fact, I'd say you should be more worried about hitting your target in a vital place and getting sufficient penetration long before you should be worried about "overpenetration".

Enjoy shooting your M1911. Worry less.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's a little unusual to hear of Gold Dots having problems, so it sounds more like firearm/slide issues. But maybe not.
    The .45 auto is not known for "over penetration." Most SD rounds are designed for @12 inches (more or less) of jel penetration. Unless you're concerned about penetrating from one room to the next, anything bigger than a .22 Short is going right through interior drywall.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Here's something I've found with my 1911s: Loading them with JHP rounds to full capacity results in what you're describing has resulted in the same problem, but loading with one lower than full has allowed them to feed just fine. I might try 6 rds in a 7-rd mag, 7 in an, so on. Just a thought. The mil-spec has the polished feed ramp and throated barrel so it should take the JHPs just fine, generally.

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Third, please try to lose your overpenetration terrors. Any round that will penetrate deep enough to stop a man, will penetrate just about the same in say, drywall. In fact, I'd say you should be more worried about hitting your target in a vital place and getting sufficient penetration long before you should be worried about "overpenetration".

Enjoy shooting your M1911. Worry less.
    I know JHP has relatively little chance to OP but if they won't feed reliably then I will have to use FMJ, and those I know are more prone to OP.

Also, that second part are words to live by. I do need to shoot more and worry less. Just a big investment for a college student to have something so mundane as a feeding issue worry about on a, relatively speaking in terms of income, expensive shiny new pistol.

I guess the solution is this: Take the $30 from jury duty compensation I got in the mail today and order some Federal HST JHPs, while those are back ordered take some of my book money from selling back books and buy a mess of 230gr FMJ to complete break in of the pistol. As a bonus, introduce my girlfriend how to properly and safely shoot and maintain a firearm, talk about an expensive date ($42 for 100 rounds of FMJ, $15 for range time + targets) but I suppose I could persuade my father into letting me borrow his M&P9 for the day.

If you're really broke, maybe even investing in a single stage Lee reloader might be in order.

It's slow, but cheaper than buying ammo, if you can get primers. The .45 ACP is prolly the easiest thing to reload out there.

I went to the range yesterday and put another 173 rounds downrange (20 rounds Remington UMC leftover from the first range day, 50 rounds of reload from my gunsmith, 100 rounds of Winchester Whitebox, and 3 rounds of Speer Gold Dot all in 230gr.)

As long as I seat the magazine against my hand the Gold Dots feed reliably now, and as an aside my 1911 HATES Winchester Whitebox. With the WWB I had a few instances where the slide did not fully clear the breach as in it allowed the spent cartridge to eject, but the newly stripped round would not fully seat in the chamber. I guess some of the loads were a little weak, but for $32 for 100 rounds it wasn't so bad of a deal to pass up.

That puts the round count through my gun at 253 rounds.

I also couldn't pass up a set of Hogue grips for my 1911.

Sounds like you have something keeping your mag from fully seating. I think you might want to have it looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Sounds like you have something keeping your mag from fully seating. I think you might want to have it looked at.
    The thing is, only the WWB rounds were doing that. I put 20 rounds of Rem UMC and 50 reloads from my gunsmith with no hiccups and that's with filling each mag up to capacity several times.

With the malfunctions I have read about it actually sounds like a case of limp wristing now that I think about it as I was getting a little bit of fatigue in my sticks-for-arms after the first 70 or so rounds . From the wikipedia entry on limp wristing: "The other common result of limp wristing is a failure to return to battery; the slide will be moving too slowly to move the new cartridge fully into the chamber, so the slide will stop partially open."

Congrats on the new 1911. Remember the .45 is a huge caliber and comes pre-expanded so regular 230 grain ball ammo is even a good choice in this caliber. It's a man stopper.

From a Springfield owner:

My first 1911-A1 was bought in 1990. It fed hardball pretty well but mot perfectly. Local instructor/gunsmith throated the fun and polished the feed ramp for a modest charge, which improved the feeding... most of the time. Then I moved to Wilson mags, and NEVER had a feeding problem with the gun again.

Fast forward to 2009: bought a TRP, and over the winter I started shooting it frequently in informal steel matches. About 99.5% reliable feeding, until I tried using 200 gr SWC reloads... choke city! Took it to local gunsmith Eric Zinn, and guess what - the gun needed throating. Now I can cycle empties in that gun... cute parlor trick.

But even with hardball, the Wilson and Tripp magazines are the 100% reliable ones. Metalform, CMC, King's and even the stock Springfield mags all have occasional feeding problems.

Try some good mags - like Wilson 47D. If feeding problems remain, find a gunsmith in your area who does reliability jobs, OR give Springfield a call. Their customer service is quite good.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links