Win SXZ

This is a discussion on Win SXZ within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any more reports on Win SXZ ammunition. I read a few reports that it is cleaner shooting, but did not reduce the importance of cleaning ...

Thread: Win SXZ

Win SXZ

Any more reports on Win SXZ ammunition. I read a few reports that it is cleaner shooting, but did not reduce the importance of cleaning (and was suggested it was even more important to clean after firing because of the Lubalox). There was a potential for a chemical reaction that can lead to corrosive damage due to moisture (even moisture caused from outside to inside condensation).

I have absolutely no knowledge on the issue or the ammunition, but thinking of buying some in .40 S&W (if it is there, as it is on sale) at the up comming Brass Pro event.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

Well, either most have not tried this mmo, or most don't buy ammo at Bass Pro. Hopeful someone replies by Friday, if not, I'll take it as a reason to pass on the purchase.
    NRA Member

This ammo has been out for a while and is exclusive to Bass Pro shops. They claim that the practice rounds have the same ballistic characteristics, feel and performance of the defense rounds. What little I know about it leads me to believe that defense rounds are not any better than other basic Winchester ammunition (WWB) and probably inferior to the Ranger T , SXT and PDX1. I dont think using it will be a problem, it really doesnt seem to be that popular from what I can see. If its priced right give it a try, I would not use the personal defense rounds for protection, there are other rounds that are better.

According to Winchester, the SXZ ammo is the same as their WWB Personal Protection line with the addition of the Lubalox coating.

I have not heard anything about the Lubalox causing any problems or requiring any additional cleaning requirements.

As for their effectiveness… There is nothing wrong with this ammo, it works just fine in a SD situation. However, as theheater905 stated, it is not as good as the premium brands. I would certainly not use it for a duty round. It is older technology and may have some issues with expansion after going through a barrier (unfortunately, there does not seem to be much in the way of test results for this ammo), but since I do not plan on shooting through doors or other barriers in a defensive situation, I do not see any problems with using it in your carry piece.

i have used some the HP at the range in my xdm (40 cal) i do not see any benefits than the pdx1 if you look at the bullets between the szx hp and pdx1 hp the pdx1 "looks" more painful to get shot with. i also notice some of the black coating is starting to wear off some the ammo. so i guess it may help with lead fouling in barrel but after firing it at the range my gun is still ditry in the chamber area. hopes this help.

Exclamation

I got a flyer in yesterdays mail about a big event at Bass Pro Shops this week end focused on instructing people why they should have a CPL, how to do it and offering classes. Another segment was they will be selling this ammo beginning at $14.99/box in 9mm.
    I may go out to pick up a few boxes in .45 if they have it.
    SEMPER FI
    Life member: DAV
    Life member: USMC
    Life member: MOPH
    Member: NRA
    Life member: VVA

Quote Originally Posted by jackg View Post
    I got a flyer in yesterdays mail about a big event at Bass Pro Shops this week end focused on instructing people why they should have a CPL, how to do it and offering classes....
    The classes look basic, but sometimes it is good to hear the basics. I think it would do me a lot of good, especially on reloading, as I've never done it on my own. There will also be vendors there, or so I'm told.

Thanks for the replies on the ammo. Not sure if I'll buy or not.
    NRA Member

I would steer clear of any corrosive ammo because I don't always clean guns right away. If you use do use corrosive ammo the way to clean it is with ammonia or windex after using your regular solvent. And you need to do it within a few hours of shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    I would steer clear of any corrosive ammo because I don't always clean guns right away. If you use do use corrosive ammo the way to clean it is with ammonia or windex after using your regular solvent. And you need to do it within a few hours of shooting.
    I am unaware of any current US manufactured ammunition that is corrosive, including Winchester SXZ.

And the best way to clean a barrel after shooting corrosive ammo is with hot, soapy water. THEN follow up with your regular cleaning solvent. Ammonia and/or Windex has little, if any effect on removing/dissolving corrosives salts.

FWIW, a few hours is all it takes to ruin a barrel.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    My guns are cleaned religiously after each use.
    SEMPER FI
    Life member: DAV
    Life member: USMC
    Life member: MOPH
    Member: NRA
    Life member: VVA

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Any more reports on Win SXZ ammunition. I read a few reports that it is cleaner shooting, but did not reduce the importance of cleaning (and was suggested it was even more important to clean after firing because of the Lubalox). There was a potential for a chemical reaction that can lead to corrosive damage due to moisture (even moisture caused from outside to inside condensation).
    Lubalox is simply a bullet lubricant and Winchester has been using it for years. There is nothing corrosive about it, with or without moisture.

It's amazing the nonsense that shows up on the Internet.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Links