Defensive Carry banner

military surplus .45 ammo

7K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Majorlk 
#1 ·
An aquiantance inherited recently a large amount of .45 ammo. Sealed cases of 1000 rounds each. Mostly ball, some match grade. This is govt issue stuff. His FIL was competition shooter in army. Unsealed one case, it was labeled IMI 230 gr. He wants to sell some as he is not a pistol shooter. I assume it is legal to own and safe to shoot. No real good guess of age and not much luck so far of finding any info. Any one have any idea as to value of this stuff? Might be cool just to own a sealed case. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
IMI = Israeli Military Industries

It's usually good stuff and I've seen 9mm for sale before. It's perfectly safe as long as it is not corroded in any way and is stored cool and dry. As for value well, I don't rightly know. .45acp is about $30 per box of 50 that I know of. Snap a couple of pictures of the rounds and the case and toss up a for sale add on gun broker or something.

#7 ·
I got some wwb at Dicks Sporting goods earlier this week for less than $20 for 45 230, just a heads up if you have one near you.

#4 ·
I just don't know how popular an IMI round would be vs a WWB, Remington, S&B, Fiocci etc. which is why I just gave a $30 per box of 50 estimate.

#5 ·
Thanks,guys. I can"t find any source on the web for comparison. Guess I always figgered US ammo was MADE in the US. Thought there may be some intrinsic value as they are sealed in govt. cans.Haven't unsealed match grade yet to see where it was made.Heck I didn't know govt made match grade. This forum is a good place to learn about this stuff.

#8 ·
The IMI stuff is good ammo, though there's nothing particularly rare about it or the fact it's in sealed cans.

Yes, match ammo has been produced for years, in both pistol and rifle calibers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.