.45 Gap

.45 Gap

This is a discussion on .45 Gap within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if the .45 GAP bullet could be fired from a barrel chambered for a .45 ACP, the way a .38 SPL can ...

Thread: .45 Gap

Question .45 Gap

I was wondering if the .45 GAP bullet could be fired from a barrel chambered for a .45 ACP, the way a .38 SPL can be fired from a .357 MAG. Has anyone read any reports about it or tried it? If so, how did it work?
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I don't think it's possible due to the way that the .45GAP would be seated into the .45 ACP magazine. Also, I'm not convinced that there would be any real benefits of doing this.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Since it headspaces on the mouth of the case, the cartridge would be too far into the chamber -- actually, maybe some guns could fire it since the extractor would be holding the case back against the slide -- but I sure wouldn't want to do that. And, as Bill said, I can't think of any benefit if it would work.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Only in a revolver chambered in 45 with moon clips.

As auto fan said thats the only way

Just curious. I guess if you could find a GAP barrel to fit an ACP gun, it might give you an extra option, especially with smaller, lighter, compact .45's (or their owners) that can be a bit recoil sensitive. Sort of a .45 "lite".
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Links