.357 sig

This is a discussion on .357 sig within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I just bought a .357 SIG barrel for my P229. I know it's kind of a novelty round in some ways, but I think ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .357 sig

.357 sig

So I just bought a .357 SIG barrel for my P229. I know it's kind of a novelty round in some ways, but I think it's cool. Anyway, I know a few of you use this. I was wondering what you run through it and why. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

The only rounds I know of that have been vetted in .357 SIG by Dr. Roberts are these:

Federal Tactical and HST loads.
    Speer Gold Dot 125gr JHP

(According to Winchester's comparison site, the .357 SIG Ranger-T round performed to satisfaction, so I'd imagine they would work just fine, too.)
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

.357 Sig is the most accurate round I have ever fired from a pistol and I have shot them all! NC SHP (Highway Patrol) uses this round, Sig 229 the S&W M&P, and they LOVE it. They are having excellent success with the 357 Sig. The Lead Instructor said it works much better than the 40 and is in a different league than the 9mm. He said they used to have to shoot the SOB's 10 times with the 9mm to stop them but with the 40 and .357 Sig just once usually. 357 Sig performs much better against auto glass and sheet metal than 40. The bottleneck design aids feed reliability. The only negative is that .357 Sigs don't last as long and require more frequent maitenance. I can live with that trade.
    The NC SHP uses Speer 125 Gr. Gold Dots. They are pretty hot for factory stuff. I've tried Rem. Golden Saber, Hornady TAP, Winchester SXT and I also like the Gold Dots best.

For the range, Whnchester White Box 125gr from Walmart.

For CCW - Federal HST 125gr
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich1B View Post
    For the range, Whnchester White Box 125gr from Walmart.

For CCW - Federal HST 125gr
    Same here plus Speer GDHP also for CCW
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I have gone to this round as my everyday carry. I have a P2k, G32C, Sig 229 and Sig 226 ready to go.
    When Mas was here a few weeks a go he carried my Sig 229 in a Wild Bills's No Such Agency holster.

This is an accurate round that 'wants' to feed. One of the things I found at LFI III was that when Mas had us making shots from cover that went from 25 to 50 to 100 meters is that I had to make very little sight adjustment.
    For me, living along the Az Mexican border where I just might have to make that 50 meter shot to protect my family (in another car) along the border on the stretch between S Vista and Douglas, I could do so if I didn't have the time to get to my carbine.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    I have gone to this round as my everyday carry. I have a P2k, G32C, Sig 229 and Sig 226 ready to go.
    When Mas was here a few weeks a go he carried my Sig 229 in a Wild Bills's No Such Agency holster.

This is an accurate round that 'wants' to feed. One of the things I found at LFI III was that when Mas had us making shots from cover that went from 25 to 50 to 100 meters is that I had to make very little sight adjustment.
    For me, living along the Az Mexican border where I just might have to make that 50 meter shot to protect my family (in another car) along the border on the stretch between S Vista and Douglas, I could do so if I didn't have the time to get to my carbine.
    GDHP's for carry and anything else for practice.

I'm curious about what caliber you changed from. I also agree with you about the performance of the Sig.

I know it's kind of a novelty round in some ways
    I wouldn't consider it a novelty round, with the:
    United States Secret Service
    Federal Air Marshals
    Internal Revenue Service's Criminal Investigation Unit
    ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement)
    Treasury Inspector General
    North Carolina State Highway Patrol
    North Carolina DMV Enforcement
    North Carolina Wildlife Enforcement
    New Mexico State Police
    Rhode Island State Police
    Virginia State Police
    Montana Highway Patrol
    Delaware State Police
    Tennessee Highway Patrol
    Texas Department of Public Safety
    Oklahoma Highway Patrol
    Pennsylvania Game Commission

all carrying it, in addition to a large number of smaller agencies, just a few being......
    Paramus Police Department in New Jersey
    Bastrop County Texas Sheriff's Office
    Alameda County Sheriff's Office in CA
    Nashville Metro Police
    Bedford Heights Police Department in Ohio
    Elloree Police Department in South Carolina
    Madison Police Department in Madison, WV
    Lexington Police Department in North Carolina
    Richmond City Sheriff's Office in Virginia
    Wake County Sheriff's Office in North Carolina
    Twin Cities Police Department in CA
    Nags Head Police Department (NC)

and the:
    Canadian Forces Special Operations Unit Joint Task Force
    Canadian Naval Boarding Units

And who knows how many more that carry, or have the option to carry, the 357Sig. I don't see novelty being associated with this caliber any more.

Performance of in the league of a 38Super, 9x23Win, or 357Magnum, all of which generally require a full size weapon, harnessed in a more compact weapon, higher capacity....it's not by chance these agencies switched to the 357Sig, some from 40S&W, 10mm, and at least one from the 357Mag.

A vast majority of these agencies use the Speer Gold Dot 125gr, as well as me .
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

This round has interested me for a while. I usually dismiss the idea due to the diameter. Are there any ballistic tests that I could view online comparing this round to .40S&W and 9mm? (in gelatin, through thin clothing, thick clothing, etc)

How does this round compare regarding pricing? General availability?

Quote Originally Posted by NIS350ZTT View Post
    How does this round compare regarding pricing? General availability

General availability-- I would say poor, don't see it often on the shelf.

Pricing-- more than .40, less than .45
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Ammuntion availability seems to be a very local phenom. During the Great Ammo Drought of '09 .357 Sig was one of the most readily available in NC. Here's a good article on 357 Sig, enjoy......
    HandGunInfo.com: 357SIG: FBI tests the 357SIG

Quote Originally Posted by NIS350ZTT View Post
    This round has interested me for a while. I usually dismiss the idea due to the diameter. Are there any ballistic tests that I could view online comparing this round to .40S&W and 9mm? (in gelatin, through thin clothing, thick clothing, etc)

How does this round compare regarding pricing? General availability?
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Thanks for the replies!

I don't own the .357SIG platform yet, but after much research it will be my next purchase.
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

Quote Originally Posted by Devone6 View Post
    I don't see novelty being associated with this caliber any more.

Performance of in the league of a 38Super, 9x23Win, or 357Magnum, all of which generally require a full size weapon, harnessed in a more compact weapon, higher capacity....it's not by chance these agencies switched to the 357Sig, some from 40S&W, 10mm, and at least one from the 357Mag.

A vast majority of these agencies use the Speer Gold Dot 125gr, as well as me .
    Well I did buy the thing. I wasn't trying to knock it, it was more of a comment on how it is seen on shelves less often than say the .40 that I have been using in my P229. I think it is an interesting round and I have read nothing but good things about it from a performance standpoint. I look forward to giving this new barrel some range time, I think I am going to be very happy with it . Thanks everyone for the replies and advice!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links