.357 Sig vs 10 mm - Page 2

.357 Sig vs 10 mm

This is a discussion on .357 Sig vs 10 mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 10mm...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .357 Sig vs 10 mm

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    10mm

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    ...Plus, those gorgeous straight walls on that 10mm cartridge fairly scream "Reload ME!!!!" So ammo costs are simply irrelevant for my purposes...
    IMHO, I would not reload .357 Sig. Agree, if you are a reloader, as you state, 10mm is asking for it.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

10mm capacity? how about 15+1 in a G29 :)

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    10mm capacity? how about 15+1 in a G29 :)
    G29 holds 10 rounds, but will accept g20 mags

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    G29 holds 10 rounds, but will accept g20 mags
    Ummm yeah thats what I said 15+1 in G29,

mine doesnt hold 10 it holds 15 I dont even know where the 10 rounders went

357 Sig is a fine cartridge, but my vote is 10mm. IMHO, firing 357 Sig is psychologically devastating down range. 10mm has a great deal of versatility, that many other rounds just cannot be loaded to.

Now you fellas have me regretting my .357 Sigs.

I guess I still have the weak argument that a jury might consider a 10mm more then needed. But that is a weak one.

Well, on .357 Sig, I'm down to a slightly nicer grip and 2nd shot placement.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I carried a Glock 32 in .357 Sig for about a year. It developed some function issues, so I sold it. The 9x23s I now carry are, for all practical purposes, ballistic twins of .357 Sig. When I'm not carrying a 9x23, I'm usually carrying one of my Delta Elites, loaded with either Cor-Bon or Double Tap 135gr. JHPs. Overpenetration is not going to be a problem with these loads in 10mm. They do recoil a bit more than my 9x23s, but control is not a problem. My Deltas are holding up well.

I'm about to get a grip reduction done on my Glock 29, so I expect it will see some carry in a few months. When I'm on the road and choose not to bring along a long gun (rare) I have a Glock 20 with a 6" Bar-Sto barrel for my "hand rifle." So yeah, I like 10mms...

Here's my most frequently carried Delta:

And my 5" 9x23 Aegis:

And, last but not least, my little 9x23 Ultra Aegis, that rides with me more than any other:

VIP Member
    I am not a fan of the 10mm. The report is painful! Even with hearing protection, I hate shooting or being near someone who is shooting a 10mm. Balistically, it's great, sure, but it's painful!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

If you don't like the sound of a 10mm, you'll HATE a .357 Sig! Interesting the issue of report should come up; one of the things I like about my Glock 29 is the deep BOOM from the short barrel. Generates testosterone!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    If you don't like the sound of a 10mm, you'll HATE a .357 Sig! Interesting the issue of report should come up; one of the things I like about my Glock 29 is the deep BOOM from the short barrel. Generates testosterone!
    That's possible, I've never fired one. And, that I know of, never heard anyone else fire one.

Edit: The report of the 10mm sounds VERY sharp to me, is the .357sig similar?
    Last edited by sigmanluke; May 19th, 2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: add question
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    .357 SIG has a pretty fair amount of noise and muzzle flash - more than the "big three" of defensive handgun rounds. It's not as bad as full-house 10mm, though.

The 10mm is indeed a powerful and versatile round. If, somehow, I was restricted to only one handgun caliber (but could get that caliber in any weight/configuration I wanted), I'd choose it. That said, there still ain't no such thing as a free lunch - more power downrange equals more "whoa!" in your hands. For general CC, it isn't my first choice, though it is certainly capable of just about anything a defensive handgun could/should be called on to accomplish.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

cmb

Comment and Question

I love the 10mm round but only out of the 1911 platform, I first shot it out of the largest Glock and it wasn't good, but in the Delta Elite, wow I was sold.

How do the ballistics compared to a 44 mag and 454 Casull and could you use it against bear (in an extreme situation) and such with good results?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    I love the 10mm round but only out of the 1911 platform, I first shot it out of the largest Glock and it wasn't good, but in the Delta Elite, wow I was sold.

How do the ballistics compared to a 44 mag and 454 Casull and could you use it against bear (in an extreme situation) and such with good results?
    The 10mm is no 44 mag or 454 Casull or even a 41 mag.But there is a 10mm mag.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Now you fellas have me regretting my .357 Sigs.

I guess I still have the weak argument that a jury might consider a 10mm more then needed. But that is a weak one.

Well, on .357 Sig, I'm down to a slightly nicer grip and 2nd shot placement.
    Oh I wouldn't worry about it. I have a .357 SIG barrel and not a 10mm gun of any kind. Nothing wrong with that cartridge, if it works for you there's nothing to feel bad about.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links