.357 Sig vs 10 mm - Page 3

.357 Sig vs 10 mm

This is a discussion on .357 Sig vs 10 mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This thread is going to push me over the edge into buying the used S&W 1006 10mm I found last Sunday......aaaaaaargh! - Cam...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    This thread is going to push me over the edge into buying the used S&W 1006 10mm I found last Sunday......aaaaaaargh!

- Cam
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    That's possible, I've never fired one. And, that I know of, never heard anyone else fire one.

Edit: The report of the 10mm sounds VERY sharp to me, is the .357sig similar?
    Most 10mm ammo operates at lower pressure than most factory .357 Sig, although, with Cor-Bon and Double Tap loads, especially with the lighter bullets like the 135s I usually carry or the 155s, there is little difference between the reports of 10mms and .357 Sigs, to my (damaged) ears, if fired from barrels of roughly the same length. The Sig round, to me, has more "crack" and is sharper than most 10mm ammo. My little Glock 32 was a bear to shoot at the indoor range, and I usually wore both plugs and muffs when shooting it. Our IDPA ROs really hate it when someone shows up with a .357 Sig. My 9x23s are similar, but to me, not as annoying as the Glock 32 was. From the stubby barrel of a Glock 29, the 10mm has a deep, resonant "boom" that really appeals to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    This thread is going to push me over the edge into buying the used S&W 1006 10mm I found last Sunday......aaaaaaargh!

- Cam
    Do it!!! Those are great guns. Big and heavy, but tough and easy to shoot.

I can shoot full house 10mm with one hand in a 29 with no problem, and I am not a big guy. My wife can also easily handle it. As stated above, the 10mm is no 44 or even 41 mag, although it does trespass into the lower end of 41 mag power. As for defense aginst bear, and that being subjective, it will easily dispatch black bears. However for the large grizzly or kodiaks, I would want nothing less than a 45-70. Having said that , lets look at the firepower/energy advantage of the g20 over the 44 mag. with 6 rounds of 44 mag loaded up with 315 grain bullets, you are looking at around 1000 fpe per round, with substantial recoil and blast out of a revolver suitable for "packing" into the back woods. Due to the severe recoil of such a revolver, an accurate follow up shot on a charging bear would be very difficult. Now with the 10mm loaded with hard cast 200 grain bullets with a wide metplate, you are looking at 15 rounds with each round packing about 730 fpe, multiplied 15 rounds, and you have 10,950 fpe loaded into one gun compared to 6000 for one revolver. The g20 is softer shooting than the revolver, and much easier to shoot rapidly, and accurately. Then throw in the durabilty factor inherent to glock pistols, lighter weight, and maintenence free characteristics, and you have one heck of a backwoods carry gun for protection against anything that walks, flys, or crawls in the lower 48. But please......do not think my opinion is in any way biased. Anyone looking for a do-it-all auto pistol is selling themselves short if they dont take a good look at the ballistic advantage and versatilliy of the 10. It is time the 10 took its rightful place at the top of the autopistol caliber selection.

If you like the 357 sig, you will love the 9x25 Dillion, which is nothing but a barrel swap in your g20 or 29. It fires a 125 grain bonded bullet at....1700 fps for....803 fpe! Talk about smokin! Can you imagine the devastation that would cause inside a BGs body?

My G20 has the 6 inch hunting barrel. It gives it a little
    more fps. If I ever get the G29, the barrel from the 20 will
    drop in it. Why not get the 20 ballistics from the 29? Putting the longer barrel did not prevent me from using the same high noon holster ether.

Quote Originally Posted by big gary View Post
    My G20 has the 6 inch hunting barrel. It gives it a little
    more fps. If I ever get the G29, the barrel from the 20 will
    drop in it. Why not get the 20 ballistics from the 29? Putting the longer barrel did not prevent me from using the same high noon holster ether.
    True. Possibilitys are many with this platform/cartridge combo.

The 10mm is my favorite of all the platforms I have; just wish they had a single stack compact 10mm that wasn't $3,000.

If the choice was between the .357 sig or anything in 10mm, pick the 10mm.
    Glock 36, 20, 30, 29, PX4 Storm SC 9mm, Colt Delta Elite, Colt Agent, Sig C3, Kimber CDP 2, Firestar 40

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth" - George Washington
    Remember the first rule of gunfighting... "have a gun." - Jeff Cooper

The 9x25 has been mentioned a couple of times. Now, we're truly talking about LOUD!! Back when it was briefly popular in IPSC, ROs HATED it.

Sandbagger, you could likely get a compact 10mm built for well under $3000, maybe under $2000. I built a 10mm on an STI short lower with a Commander-length upper a few years back. It worked fine, once I got the springs balanced and installed an EGW firing pin stop, but with hot ammo, it is a bear to shoot; just a tad too light for that much horsepower. The double-stack spare mags are bulky to carry, too. I've been looking hard at Nighthawk's T3 in stainless, which is available in .40 S&W. It would be easy to ream the chamber to 10mm, and I already have a reamer. I'd prefer that the barrel hood be properly labeled, or left without caliber markings, but that's not a big deal, especially since would probably still run fine with .40. Springs would need to be re-balanced and an EGW stop installed, but that would be about it. Still mighty pricey, but all-steel and well thought out for carry. One of my young CHL students has a T3 in .45, and it's a sweet gun.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links