.357 Sig vs 10 mm

.357 Sig vs 10 mm

This is a discussion on .357 Sig vs 10 mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have enjoyed reading the lasest posts on the .357 Sig. I, too, think it is an great round and have carried and shot alot ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

.357 Sig vs 10 mm

I have enjoyed reading the lasest posts on the .357 Sig. I, too, think it is an great round and have carried and shot alot through a Glock 23 with a Lone Wolf barrel and a Sig 229. My problem is that recently I gave started to carry a Glock 29 and love it. Some range time is also being spent with my Glock 20. I find both guns fairly easy to control. If you find yourself fainting away from your favorite 45 ACP, looking for the next better round, I gave found that the 10 mm fills those wants and needs!

12 Gauge
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A while back I planned on getting a G22, intending to acquire 9mm and .357 SIG barrels for it. Unemployment put a hold on those plans, but I hope it eventually happens. Never fired a 10mm. Will have to give it a try. I, ofr one, enjoy shooting different calibers and different makes. Never cared too much for having several guns all of the same caliber to "save ammo room."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

SELF EDIT due to STUPIDITY
    Last edited by Thanis; May 17th, 2010 at 07:53 PM.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    1) Capacity. Both rounds will clearly do the trick for SD, but the .357 Sig offers greater capacity. For this same reasons, some would say 9mm/ 9mm+P is better vs 40 S&W and .357 Sig. Fair enough, but what some might consider a compromise (either in capacity or punch) I see as the right fit, for me, and the number of firearms I want to own.
    Disagree with you here, the .40s&w, .357sig, and 10mm all use the same diameter brass, they'll stack the same amount of rounds in the same amount of space..

My 10mm EAA Witness Elite Match with full house FMJ loads is my woods gun of choice..
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

Quote Originally Posted by HahnsXD View Post
    Disagree with you here, the .40s&w, .357sig, and 10mm all use the same diameter brass, they'll stack the same amount of rounds in the same amount of space..

My 10mm EAA Witness Elite Match with full house FMJ loads is my woods gun of choice..
    Well, I knew that (use the same diameter brass, aka the .40 S&W is a cut down 10mm), but for some reason assumed 10mm had less capacity. I'm wrong. Mud on the face.
    NRA Member

If. I say if I did get out of my standards and into something more interesting....and the availability was there....and the affordability was there....and discounting my interest with the 45G.A.P. cartridge in the Glocks, I think I would choose the 10mm over the 357SIG. Thing is, my previous G21 and G30 didn't work out so well for me when I had them, especially for carry. With the SF frames, who knows. I just haven't tried them personally, but the ballistics speak well of the 10mm, and I speak highly of Glocks. One thing sticks in my mind about what our instructor said in the Glock armorer's course, and that's a little to do with history and the now. He said what used to be the best defensive ballistics in theory were that a bullet or cartridge was designed to have the most penetration and energy while staying inside the body of the intended target. These days, and the current thought is to have a cartridge that will go into the body with enough velocity and energy to do the most amount of damage and go in and out leaving the largest hole upon exit. To me, that well defines the 10mm cartridge whether it's coming out of a Glock, or something else. I believe in the current theory by the way. Glock on!

The 10mm is not ''the next better round'', it is THE round. While it may be debated based on preference to size of carry gun, ammo availibilty ect...the 10mm reigns supremely above all others in the power range and versatility. This cannot be denied. If someone were choosing an auto to accomplish a variety of requirements, the 10mm is the only choice.

I have the G20 and a 229 in 357. The 10mm has allot more punch. It could be an overpenetration problem. I really like both guns but ammo is high. The 40 barrel will save you some ammo cost.

Bob boatman has a good book out about glocks and his love of the 10mm. Some good info in it.

Just my opinion but I think the 10mm is a little much for the 1911 platform.

Quote Originally Posted by big gary View Post

Just my opinion but I think the 10mm is a little much for the 1911 platform.
    My Colt, from the 1991 is still going strong, at about 80,000 + rounds. I did replace the barrel, started to loose it's accuracy.Did a lot of action shooting in the 90's. Lot of old boys ran 1911,in 10mm and held great. It's a great round. I do like the 10mm in the 170 to 200 grain area better.For up close defence from people, I would give the edge to 45 ACP 230 grain, for all around 10mm is great.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

10mm vs .357 Sig, really about the recoil and recovering for 2nd shot, right (if $ is not an issue)? It is more about the shooter's abilities and comfort.
    NRA Member

I am slowly circling the 10mm cartridge for my next gun.

In Iowa, it is illegal to handgun hunt with a bottlenecked cartridge, so .357 SIG is out.

Plus, those gorgeous straight walls on that 10mm cartridge fairly scream "Reload ME!!!!" So ammo costs are simply irrelevant for my purposes.

Technically, the .357 SIG should be more reliable, due to the bottleneck cartridge, but I have not data on the reality of that.

120mm, do it, but if you really want a screaming bottleneck, check out the 9x25! It is a 10mm case that takes a 9mm pushing it to 2000fps!and it comes in a drop inbarrel for the g20.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    120mm, do it, but if you really want a screaming bottleneck, check out the 9x25! It is a 10mm case that takes a 9mm pushing it to 2000fps!and it comes in a drop inbarrel for the g20.
    Also the 400 corbon neck down 45 to 10mm.
    Last edited by SatCong; May 18th, 2010 at 05:35 PM.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

ugh. i love the 10mm. a nice steel framed 1911 in 10mm is certainly on my list of guns to get!
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

The 10mm is a very versatile round. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a 10mm 1911 one of these days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links