Augusta Wal-Mart's Method of Rationing Ammo

This is a discussion on Augusta Wal-Mart's Method of Rationing Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As you can see from the picture, the shelves were surprisingly well stocked for once. This was taken tonight at about 8:25pm because I had ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

As you can see from the picture, the shelves were surprisingly well stocked for once. This was taken tonight at about 8:25pm because I had plenty of time to kill while waiting.

When I approached the counter, the clerk was checking someone out and I made a happy greeting of, "Oh wow, the shelves are full, great!" and he replied "Yeah, I'll be right back" So I waited....and waited.....and finally found another clerk who tried to track someone down.....and waited and waited....I found another clerk who said, "I don't think we sell that at night.....so I found another one who went to look.....and then the original guy comes walking up 19 minutes from when he left with a, "Oh, you're still here, do you need ammo?"

I mean seriously.....I figure he was either very anti-gun or just hates his job so much he doesn't care anymore. So, his name was taken, copy of my receipt has been made, and I have left a message on the manager's voicemail. It makes me wonder if this guy is personally doing his best to not sell ammo.

Anyways, massive amounts of 9mm, .40 and .22lr, good supply of .38 spcl and a few .357 magnum and .45 auto along with various rifle rounds. I didn't see any .380 or .357sig

So for practice ammo I scored a 100ct WWB 9mm FMJ (I don't own a 9mm but I shoot my friend's G17 occasionally), 3x50ct .40 Federal 180gr FMJ, 100ct .40 Remington UMC JHP and a 50ct .40 Federal 135gr JHP to try as I haven't seen those before but was on the lookout for them after someone mentioned them in a prior thread.
    Attached Images
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Well, after the long wait, sounds like the purchasing went well!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Once (in 2008) I called on the phone prior to arrival (little after 5PM), asked to speak to someone at the sporting goods counter. Arrived before they answered the phone. Waited by the counter, on hold. Walked up to the front counter. Talked in person to the associate who had me on hold. Asked for a manager. While I was waiting for the manager, the person asked again, via phone, who I was holding for. Replied on the phone (turned away so she could not see me talk). When manager arrived, I asked him to pick up the line that was on hold, it was someone I knew who had been holding a long time. He picked up, I held my cell phone to my ear and said, "Hello, it is me, I'm standing in front of you." Hung up, showed him the call had lasted 1 hour. He could not help but laugh, apologised that he laughed. I smiled back, as it was humorous. I reviewd quickly the number of times my brother and I had issues getting someone. He walked back, opened the ammo for me, and said he would do his best to address the on going problems. This was just before all the ammo shortages, so never got so see if he made a difference.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Well... that's one way to make sure there is a lot of ammo on the shelf, if anyone asks for any..... walk off and leave them standing there a long time..... and after the break is over, see if they are still there. LOL.

Thanis, I was so close to picking up the paging system and calling for a manager to sporting goods but I've read too many stories of people getting charges pressed against them for doing something stupid with the P.A.

As a business owner, I have become extremely patient with waiting at places when the employees are busy working. In both of our situations, I don't see any logical reason why our time was wasted.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    Ruger 10/22

Wow that is ridiculous. At least you finally got what you wanted...

Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    ...I have become extremely patient with waiting at places when the employees are busy working....
    Same, for the most part. Why I was willing to be tricky and wait on hold, but did not make a huge deal about it. Just matter of fact proof I wanted when I spoke to the mgr that there was a problem more then just me saying I waited a long time.
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What did you expect from a WalMart? It's a destination for the slobbering masses.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    What did you expect from a WalMart? It's a destination for the slobbering masses.
    Ya, but one of the few big box retails that offer retail price on ammo (my only other option is Brass Pro). Sure others carry ammo (for example Gander Mt.), but most all at a greater price. I desided keeping walmart in the ammo game helps the wallet.

It also make a major retailer interested in preserving its right to sell a product (a speed bump to those who might want to limit where ammo is purchased legally).
    NRA Member

You probably cost that guy his job. If you call and complain no matter how dumb the manager has to talk to them and add a strike against their record. You only get two before you get fired. Over your 19 mins... he probably got stoped by customers.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Our local Gander Mountain and Academy stores have some people like this. One lady that seems to always be there when I go, behaves as if she could care less. I spent over 3 decades dealing with the public,so I never excuse their bad behavior. Yes,some jobs suck and the public can be a pain in the rear, but that is no excuse to take it out on the customer. I never did.

DrJ
    Glad you got your ammo, but waiting so long serious violated DrJ's first rule of life: NEVER beg anyone to take your money. If I'm ever in a store that I feel doesn't appreciate the opportunity to do business with me, I take my business elsewhere. That's probably why I RARELY go to Wal-Mart.

Supergrade, if he does lose his job he did it to himself. He went directly from the counter through the doors to the back and that's where he came back from. No apology, no explanation. His response exact response was, "Oh, you're still here, you need ammo?" He only came back out because I got somebody to go get him. It's not about 19 minutes. I waited over 30 minutes tonight for a dinner order with the difference being they were busy. This guy simply had no respect.

Yeah, DrJ, I should have left, but ammo is usually the only thing I get at Wal-Mart and I'm not paying $20/box for standard target ammo at Dick's or Academy. Plus I had stubbornly entered my "I will not be beaten" mode.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    Ruger 10/22

AzB
    This is SOP for the WalMart here too. I quit going. I may pay $3 more for my ammo, but I'm going to support a store that has something resembling service.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    As you can see from the picture, the shelves were surprisingly well stocked for once. This was taken tonight at about 8:25pm because I had plenty of time to kill while waiting.

When I approached the counter, the clerk was checking someone out and I made a happy greeting of, "Oh wow, the shelves are full, great!" and he replied "Yeah, I'll be right back" So I waited....and waited.....and finally found another clerk who tried to track someone down.....and waited and waited....I found another clerk who said, "I don't think we sell that at night.....so I found another one who went to look.....and then the original guy comes walking up 19 minutes from when he left with a, "Oh, you're still here, do you need ammo?"

I mean seriously.....I figure he was either very anti-gun or just hates his job so much he doesn't care anymore. So, his name was taken, copy of my receipt has been made, and I have left a message on the manager's voicemail. It makes me wonder if this guy is personally doing his best to not sell ammo.

Anyways, massive amounts of 9mm, .40 and .22lr, good supply of .38 spcl and a few .357 magnum and .45 auto along with various rifle rounds. I didn't see any .380 or .357sig

So for practice ammo I scored a 100ct WWB 9mm FMJ (I don't own a 9mm but I shoot my friend's G17 occasionally), 3x50ct .40 Federal 180gr FMJ, 100ct .40 Remington UMC JHP and a 50ct .40 Federal 135gr JHP to try as I haven't seen those before but was on the lookout for them after someone mentioned them in a prior thread.
    That is why I don't go to Walmart to buy my self-defense ammo. Not enough knowledgeable staff and not enought variety of ammo to buy. I get my ammo at the local gun shop/shooting range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links