Fiocchi Extrema 9mm 124 & 147-gr. Ammunition

This is a discussion on Fiocchi Extrema 9mm 124 & 147-gr. Ammunition within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello. I recently bought some of the Fiocchi 9mm Extrema line of ammunition in 124 and 147-grain loads. I've not used these particular factory 9mm ...

Thread: Fiocchi Extrema 9mm 124 & 147-gr. Ammunition

1951 - 2011

Hello. I recently bought some of the Fiocchi 9mm Extrema line of ammunition in 124 and 147-grain loads. I've not used these particular factory 9mm loads before and folks on-line seem to be interested in them.

I checked accuracy, penetration/expansion and chronographed both loads, which were fired from one of my Browning Mk III Hi Powers.

This Mk III was used with both loads. It has been used in more than a little chronograph work over the years. No accuracy work has been done on this pistol. It outshoots my capabilities as it came from the factory!

Both loads were fired at 15 yards and both grouped very well. When fired into super-saturated newsprint, both bullets expanded as expected.

On the left is the expanded 124-gr. XTP and on the right, the 147-gr. The lighter bullet penetrated 6" in the soaked newsprint, which should work out to about 9" in ballistic gelatin. The 147-gr. made an average of 6 1/2" or probably about 9 3/4" in bare gelatin. XTP's usually penetrate a bit better than today's results in my experience with them in similar "informal tests" and in the field on small and medium sized animals.

Fiocchi lists the 124-gr. at 1290 ft/sec and the 147-gr. at 950 ft/sec. Actual measured velocities based on 10 shots each fired 10' from the chronograph screens yielded signficantly lower speeds. The 124-gr. Extrema averaged 1072 ft/sec compared to 876 ft/sec for the 147-gr. Other 9mm 147-gr. loads I've chronographed averaged between approximately 975 and 1030 ft/sec. I am pretty well satisfied that however Fiocchi obtained its listed velocities for this load, a standard "service size" pistol was not used. (I had brought a Glock 26 along to provide average velocities for folks having smaller 9mm handguns, but didn't even break it out of the range box when I saw these velocity results.)

I have seen some conversations concerning why there is no "+P" designation on the 124-gr. load; the long-and-short of it is that it's just not necessary...for obvious reasons.

It is for individual shooters to decide if this is suitable defense ammunition. For me, it will used as range or target ammunition since it does have both light felt-recoil and very good accuracy at least from the Mk III Hi Power used today.

For folks wanting more specific information on these "informal tests", look here:

Ammunition test

Best.

i had been thinking of making this my carry round due to the price compared to Hornady. I always thought that the fiocchi was much hotter than most loads since it does seem to pack more of a punch (or at least the 45's I shot did) I do like the XTP round, and carried Hornady Tap in one of my guns.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

I think most ammo manufacturers add a little velocity to there test. There claims seem to be a little faster than reality. OMO
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

That Fiocchi seems like some good stuff. I'll be keeping my eye on that brand. My Cheetah liked their .380 practice ammo.

I have used a lot of Fiocchi ammo in different calibers and have never had a problem or been disappointed. Certainly good ammo in my book.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If your comparison to gel is accurate, that is some pretty crappy performance.

RE not being +p at the manufacturer's listed velocity, European 9mm is generally loaded hotter than SAAMI spec form what I've heard.

1951 - 2011
    Hello. Fiocchi USA manufactures this ammunition.

Best.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen A. Camp View Post
    Hello. Fiocchi USA manufactures this ammunition.

Best.
    I found similar results with the 124 Fiocchi load. 1027fps out of 4" FNP9 and 987fps out of PF9.

Fiocchi's site indicates their 115gr and 147gr XTP loads are from 4 inch barrels, but the 124gr XTP load is TBD with only a velocity of 1290fps as nominal. Other barrel lengths for their FMJ ammunition are stated from 5 inch barrels. No indication if they are production barrels or test barrels, my guess is test barrels.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Stephen

IME, you will never get the velocity from saami loaded rounds you will get from cip loaded ammo. Ammo loaded here in America is subject to saami pressures, not cip. IIRC, these rounds (115 and 124 gr.)are loaded to cip pressures in their home country, which is Italy. I know we import some of this for I have seen it on some websites.

Why Fiocchi tranfers those published velocities to their ammo made in the USA I don't know, but apparently that is what they did.

Bill

1951 - 2011
    Hello and thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

Best.

Billinmiss, not entirely correct. If the ammunition manufacturer is a member of SAAMI, they must follow their standards. If the ammunition manufacturer is NOT a member of SAAMI, they can do what they want.

Fiocchi USA is a member of SAAMI. What you don't know is how they test their ammunition to obtain the ballistics information published. That will indicate a lot.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Sponsored Links