Wildcat EDC ?

This is a discussion on Wildcat EDC ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok I have heard and read the arguements about having rloaded ammo in the event of a shooting. But what if factory ammo is not ...

Thread: Wildcat EDC ?

Wildcat EDC ?

ok I have heard and read the arguements about having rloaded ammo in the event of a shooting. But what if factory ammo is not available ie 10mm magnum, I believe (could be wrong on these two 9x21 or 9x25 Dillon) what should you do if its the one you feel most comfortable with protecting self/family?
    It something to think about!

2. Remove Ads

Shoot whatever you want! 10mmMagnum, .460 S&W, .500 S&W Not for me unless I am out for big game.

BTW, I am not that recoil sensitive and over the years have fired lots of full power .44magnums (factory and handloads), but will now stick to 9mm, .357, .40S&W and .45ACP when it comes to defense ammo.

Why not use a .41 or .44 magnum (handguns and ammo are both widely available)???? I would rather carry a less punishing caliber for SD, one that is easier to control, with recoil that allows me to fire a few hundred rounds at the range without turning my hand into jelly. I would also worry a little about penetration with the really high powered "hunting rounds" from those hand cannons.

As to the implications in a court ??? Wow..Ammo that delivers muzzle energies in the vicinity of the 1000 pound range could be shown to be a little extreme, but that is up to the lawyers not me..

OMO

bosco

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Once I get a reload dialed in, I wouldn't have a problem carrying it in my EDC. I've had far fewer failures in reloads (one pistol, one shotshell - both defective primers [the same brands used in factory loads]) than in factory loads (more than a dozen), and I've shot a lot more of the reloads. Reloads can be as good or better than factory loads, both powerwise and accuracywise. I'm checking almost every case for correct powder level, etc. I don't think I can say that for the factory loads.

As far as legalities, I never load as hot as some SD brands, say Buffalo Bore for instance, as they're not as accurate as my reloads, which I can tune to my individual guns. I doubt any DA could make much of a case against a reload with less power than commercial SD brands. I think a nice .45 230 grn RN chunk of lead would be effective, and can hardly be called "designed to explode and kill."
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links