HD Shotgun Ammo - Page 3

HD Shotgun Ammo

This is a discussion on HD Shotgun Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by xdglocker +1 to that. I personally know of a woman who took buck to the chest and shoulder @ 25ft and was ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HD Shotgun Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by xdglocker View Post
    +1 to that.

I personally know of a woman who took buck to the chest and shoulder @ 25ft and was able to run away and call for help. She had some nasty damage done but lived and was able to function enough to save her own life.

As far as over-penetration, with the right slugs, it's a non-issue. That's why I use Brenneke Tac HD. Made specifically for urban CQC. They give me option of CQC or if needed, to go long without needing to think about what color to take out of the saddle in a SHTF situ.

I like my 00 buck too but the slugs are first up and at the ready.
    An interesting Round esp. for "checking out" the yard & property.

When I was a LEO, we carried slugs with us ( esp. those of us that "patroled" the boonies ). Depending on the "situation" some times loaded " Buck & Ball"

Puffer

For my 20 gauge Remington 870 Express Youth model: 2-3/4" 20 gauge, 1oz slug.

If you're going to run slugs in a shotgun, wouldn't you be better off with a carbine?

More ammo capacity
    Faster follow-up shots
    Less recoil
    Faster reload

Seems to me that running slugs is giving up the greatest advantage of the shotgun - the delivery of multiple, simultaneous wound tracks.

Why turn a shotgun into a rifle when dealing with close range threats?

PS - Gabe Suarez tells of a perp who was shot through-and-through with a slug. The perp not only survived - he evaded police, and turned himself in the next day with his attorney. Shot placement still matters - slug, buckshot, carbine, or handgun - doesn't matter. You still need to hit something vital.

The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member
    00 buck here. I use the low recoil type, just because that is what I practice with.

Is a low recoil load a whole bunch less effective, maybe I am using flawed logic on that and should go with non-low-recoil. ??

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    If you're going to run slugs in a shotgun, wouldn't you be better off with a carbine?

More ammo capacity
    Faster follow-up shots
    Less recoil
    Faster reload

Seems to me that running slugs is giving up the greatest advantage of the shotgun - the delivery of multiple, simultaneous wound tracks.

PS - Gabe Suarez tells of a perp who was shot through-and-through with a slug. The perp not only survived - he evaded police, and turned himself in the next day with his attorney. Shot placement still matters - slug, buckshot, carbine, or handgun - doesn't matter. You still need to hit something vital.

That's why I have my Rock River Arms LAR-15 semiautomatic rifle in
    .223 caliber/5.56mm. It's my SHTF gun if my pistols and shotgun don't do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Same here. I have on hand both the low recoil (132-00) and full power (127-00) 9 pellet. Currently my 870P has the low recoil in it.
    I'd agree they are fun to shoot. I only use slugs for practice since they overpenetrate, not good in a city like VA Beach or Richmond.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    00 buck here. I use the low recoil type, just because that is what I practice with.

Is a low recoil load a whole bunch less effective, maybe I am using flawed logic on that and should go with non-low-recoil. ??
    There are two ways to get less recoil:

1. Reduce the number of pellets, but keep the velocity the same as a standard load. This means less mass shot out the muzzle, which reduces recoil.

2. Keep the same number of pellets, but reduce the velocity. This means each pellet will have less momentum than a standard load, which will negatively effect penetration to some degree.

I would go with option 1 if I was interested in low recoil loads.

My solution was to add a cheap slip-on rubber pad onto my shotgun's buttstock. It does a nice job of reducing recoil. In a real situation, I don't think I'll notice. For more money, there are also the Knoxx stocks.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have a 30-30 model 94 lever action accessible to me, but I only have hunting rounds for it. On the other hand I am well accustomed to how my shotgun points and shoots. I don't have enough money (college student) to buy a semi-auto rifle or I would.

Senior Moderator

More ammo capacity
    Faster follow-up shots
    Less recoil
    Faster reload

+1
    That's why I use a M1 carbine for HD
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I have done a search and found several threads that deal with HD shotguns, but none that deal with the ammo. Here is my question - what ammo do you keep for your HD shotgun?

I have 2-3/4 "00" buck for mine. I figure that this should disable a BG and minimize overpenetration. I appreciate your thoughts.
    You might want to surf on over to:

Shotguns The ProArms Podcast

The Pro Arms podcast is my favorite and they had 2 podcasts (17 A & B) back in Feb of 2009 that addressed the whole issue of shotguns as home defense weapons.

They spent a lot of time discussing the various gauges and ammo types.

The pod cast is hosted by Mas Ayoob, Kathy Jackson (of Cornered Cat fame) and a number of other people whose names I can't recall but you should recognize.

Simeon

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Offer a more traumatic wound channel, deeper penetration, more area of permanent tissue damage. Me? I'd rather punch a 3/4 inch hole through someone's chest than spray some lead balls into a cute pattern that might get to the vitals.

Nope and nope.

I would rather a tight concentrated pattern for maximum damage to the vitals.

This isn't Hollywood.
    I completely disagree with your premise of a 1 projectile group maximizing damage. You're also losing the advantage of using a shotgun at short/near contact distances. You might as well use a rifle. A close distance shotgun blast destroys everything, even the wad penetrates and acts like another projectile, nothing but a mess is left of what it touches. Human beings can't survive a shotgun blast to the chest at close range.

My coach gun is loaded with Federal 00 buck...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    I completely disagree with your premise of a 1 projectile group maximizing damage. You're also losing the advantage of using a shotgun at short/near contact distances. You might as well use a rifle. A close distance shotgun blast destroys everything, even the wad penetrates and acts like another projectile, nothing but a mess is left of what it touches. Human beings can't survive a shotgun blast to the chest at close range.
    They can, and they do. It's not terribly uncommon, in fact.

It would seem you need to unlearn the myth of the shotgun as an uberweapon.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Sometimes, although rarely, will we have a shortage of Federal Tactical 00 Buck loads. So if it comes to that, I will instead choose Federal Powershock 00 Buck, which has a much wider pattern than the Tactical version. I prefer to target practice with 80-100 rds. of Remington/Federal slugs since they are cheaper. I will shoot my 00 Buck but only about 20 rds. of it, which I have with my shotgun that I would get rid of. But there is a downside to slugs though. Theyo do leave a lot of residue on the shotgun barrel that makes them difficult to remove. As a matter of fact, I still have some remaining stubborn slug residue on the barrel of my Mossberg 590 that I was unable to remove since my last firing session w/ Federal Tactical slugs. And I didn't shot any of my Federal Tactical 00 Buck loads at that time either.

VIP Member

More ammo capacity
    Faster follow-up shots
    Less recoil
    Faster reload

These are the ballistics of the ammo I have for my shotgun (SG) and my Sig 556, and the reason I choose to use slugs in a SG before the rifle for HD.

Federal Premium LE Tactical rifled slug

1oz, hollow-point slug 438gr.
    1300 fps./muzzle 1642 ft.lbs/muzzle
    1100 fps./25yd. 1275 ft.lbs/25yd.

Federal Premium LE Tactical TRU (Tactical Rifle Urban)

Hi-shock SP 55gr.
    3220 fps./muzzle 1266 ft.lbs/muzzle
    2782 fps./100yd. 945 ft.lbs/100yd.

For in home protection, I'll take the SG with slugs over the rifle every time. Sure, I get more recoil and slower reloads with it, but MUCH bigger wound channels. Obviously shot placement matters, but no different than the rifle.

Show me a rifle (that you could use in your home) that shoots a .75" diameter projectile weighing 438gr. with the ease-of-use the SG provides.

By the way, outdoors, I'll take the rifle everytime.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links