Corbon 125gr +p ?

Corbon 125gr +p ?

This is a discussion on Corbon 125gr +p ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ive heard and read alot about the DPX round, but never see anything on Corbons standard JHP round. Anyone use these rounds?I always see them ...

Thread: Corbon 125gr +p ?

Corbon 125gr +p ?

Ive heard and read alot about the DPX round, but never see anything on Corbons standard JHP round. Anyone use these rounds?I always see them at Ammo to go.

9mm Luger Plus P 125gr CORŽBON Self-Defense JHP
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Yes, I do. I think it's a decent Self Defense round. Although, I haven't used it on a BG. :)

I use the 115gr +p. It expands then fragments and throws off bits of lead and jacket. If you are a "bonded" bullet person, you won't like it. If you can accept a little less penetration it's plain awesome. I've used it on everything from wet newspaper to hogs with no complaints. The 115gr is whats in my HD Glock right now. Not fancy technology, electroplated jackets made of brass with sharp points and wedges in the middle, just fast transferring a lot of energy.

I bought a box at Cabela's a while back and it shoots very well. You will however, know what you touch off in a light pistol like the CW9. Haven't had a need to shoot it at anything but a target so far. Seems like good ammo. I wish I had bought more than 1 box.

corbon's quality control is in the crapper right now. several guns have blown up due to double charged corbons at my local range. not to mention many dud rounds.

i would never trust this brand for self defense.

read the customer reviews on corbon ammo on cabela's website, you'll hear this.

i used to be a hardcore corbon fan too.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I use the 115gr +p. It expands then fragments and throws off bits of lead and jacket. If you are a "bonded" bullet person, you won't like it. If you can accept a little less penetration it's plain awesome. I've used it on everything from wet newspaper to hogs with no complaints. The 115gr is whats in my HD Glock right now. Not fancy technology, electroplated jackets made of brass with sharp points and wedges in the middle, just fast transferring a lot of energy.

you're referring to the sierra jhp's in their standard ammo. it fragments a lot , loosing much penetration.

the OP is referring the DPX (barnes X bullets is all it is). it's a solid copper alloy bullet with no lead, and does not fragment.

The link was to the plain JHP load. I'm not
    really too worried about slightly less penetration with the 115 or 124/5 gr loads. Especially for what I use them for. I had no idea though about the QC issues. They always had a good reputation or so I thought. Wow. I wonder what happened. Going to have to do some reading now.

Back in around 1995 or so we had a ND in the gunshop where I worked and the boss fired a 147gr Winchester subsonic into the floor. It hit the carpet and padding and skipped into a wood display case and stopped. Barely deformed or fragmented. I went to hot 115 or 124 gr 9mm after seeing that.

Thanks guys....I thought I remembered seeing some tests where the jacket seperated. I see these everywhere, but never here of anyone carrying them or suggesting to carry them. It seems that Corbons powerball also seperates and fragments also. I guess the dpx is the best round they offer. The pics I have seen appear to really open up in gel and water tests. The copper petals look really thin though. I would need to hold a expanded round in my hand to see. It looks like these thin petals would lay down when traveling thru test gel or the BG. That would mean they have some spring then, but I may be completely wrong on this. Anyway...thanks for the info on the standard JHP.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Links