Heavier 9mm Self-Defense Rounds

This is a discussion on Heavier 9mm Self-Defense Rounds within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 4 inch, Beretta 9000s...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heavier 9mm Self-Defense Rounds

Forgot the Barrel Length

4 inch, Beretta 9000s
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

2. Remove Ads

I find it interesting that a lot of people here recommend +P rounds for short barreled pistols; in my experience, all a +P does out of a short barrel is gain you more muzzle flash, without gaining all that much velocity over a non +P...in fact, usually as a percentage, the +P's lose considerably greater velocity out of short barrels than non+P due to the inefficient burn.

The only times I like to run +P is in longer barreled pistols that will make the most use of the extra velocity...

My two cents.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    I find it interesting that a lot of people here recommend +P rounds for short barreled pistols; in my experience, all a +P does out of a short barrel is gain you more muzzle flash, without gaining all that much velocity over a non +P...in fact, usually as a percentage, the +P's lose considerably greater velocity out of short barrels than non+P due to the inefficient burn.

The only times I like to run +P is in longer barreled pistols that will make the most use of the extra velocity...

My two cents.
    Winchester recommends 147 gr standard pressure in short barrels. The slower bullet has more dwell time in the barrel, allowing it to take a fuller advantage of the charge.
    147 Ranger-T will work as advertised in the 830-850 fps. range.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    147gr HST's and Ranger T's are hard to beat.
    What he said. I personally use HSTs, but I would not feel underprepared with Black Tal--er, Rangers.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

My two cents.
    Speer claims to have addressed this with faster burning, low flash powder in a bullet "especially for short barrel guns" called Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Personal Protection Ammo. The only 9mm round they sell in this line is a +P 124 gr. 1150 fps out of a 3.5" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Savior Sound View Post
    Speer claims to have addressed this with faster burning, low flash powder in a bullet "especially for short barrel guns" called Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Personal Protection Ammo. The only 9mm round they sell in this line is a +P 124 gr. 1150 fps out of a 3.5" barrel.
    They may make them but I'm beginning to wonder if they actually sell them. I've been looking for several months getting words that they will be available in 3 weeks only to hear they didn't come in, so another 3 weeks, etc.

Speer Gold Dot 147GR Bullits??

I just bought 5000 bullits of Speer Gold Dots 147Gr HP's. Loading them over some Unique Powder that works just fine and prints at the same place as 115Gr FMJ ammo does out to 15Yards. Not too hot and very accurate for Plinking and other uses. Read that as PPC if you need that.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

My two cents.
    Funny thing is most +P 9mm ammunition is actually operating in SAAMI standard MAP specs, not SAAMI +P. Speer is using the +P as a marketing tool. Handloaders have been pushing the 124gr bullet to 1200fps (4 inch barrel) for decades. Hell, I push a 147gr that fast in a 4 inch barrel under SAAMI MAP.

If you need to increase pressure in a high pressure cartridge to achieve desired results, move up a caliber so you get more velocity per grain weight with equal pressure.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

147gr HST's and Ranger T's are hard to beat
    I have yet to see any ballistics that do not show these two rounds utterly dominating all others. Corbon DPX is a close second because it is like a HST with less mass. I still have a box of these since they make my 21SF lighter when wearing shorts. If I cant get HST I get Talons and if I cant get those I go DPX
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -Suzanna Gratia Hupp

How bout some love for the 147gr Golden Saber Bonded.
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS DAK 9mm (EDC)
    MR Micro Desert Eagle .380 acp (BUG)
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)
    Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader 12ga (HD)
    WASR 10/63 AK-47 7.62x39 (SHTF)

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    They may make them but I'm beginning to wonder if they actually sell them. I've been looking for several months getting words that they will be available in 3 weeks only to hear they didn't come in, so another 3 weeks, etc.
    Check gunbroker.com every once in a while. here
    And Midway has it in stock ready to ship today @ http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=216634

Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    HST's are the best jhp's on the market right now.

the only downside is their scarcity.
    Unless you want a bonded bullet, then Ranger Bonded are king of the mountain.

I have read authoritative articles that recommend 115 grain 9mm bullets as the most effective weight for that caliber for SD.

I have read authoritative articles that recommend 147 grain 9mm bullets as the most effective weight for that caliber for SD.

I don't have the expertise, time, or money to try and decide which is right, so I went with the Goldilocks solution:

I carry 124 grain +P in a major brand JHP.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links