155 or 180 grain

This is a discussion on 155 or 180 grain within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think the .40 caliber round was first developed around the 180 grain bullet....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 155 or 180 grain

I think the .40 caliber round was first developed around the 180 grain bullet.

2. Remove Ads

Yes, the original .40 S&W load was a 180gr JHP at 980fps.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    From what I've read, you can't go wrong with any of the weights in .40 S&W, similar gasmitty, I use lighter rounds for my Sig P239 and heavier for my P226, 140 gr. Corbon DPX for the P239, and 165 gr. Fed HST for the 226. I also have some 155 gr. HSTs that might replace the dpx load in the 239, and a box of 180 gr. gold dots as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'd say it's splitting hairs, but for .40 S+W in short-barrelled guns (3-inch range) I'd use lighter bullets, and in longer-barelled guns (4-inches or more) I'd use heavier.
    I keep reading so so so so much mixed information on this point. Some people say it makes a difference, others say it doesn't mean anything. A substantial reference or link to clear this up would be appreciated.

I use a Glock 27 as my main carry gun. I have some Federal HSTs in both .155gr and .180gr. The stock barrel length is 3.46 inches. Which grain would you use and why?

Quote Originally Posted by dyvegas View Post
    I keep reading so so so so much mixed information on this point. Some people say it makes a difference, others say it doesn't mean anything. A substantial reference or link to clear this up would be appreciated.

I use a Glock 27 as my main carry gun. I have some Federal HSTs in both .155gr and .180gr. The stock barrel length is 3.46 inches. Which grain would you use and why?

Heavier bullet keeps momentum better, giving better penetration; also, heavier bullets tend to lose less % of velocity when fired through short barrels.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by lungbuster View Post
    I have a 40XDSC and 40XDm. I carry the SC for CC and the XDm is in a Gunvault by my bed for Home Defense. Both guns like the Gold Dots and I really can't tell a difference in the 155 or 180 grain in terms of accuracy for either gun.

Which grain bullet would be best suited for CC and HD. What are the pros and cons of these two bullet weights?
    Welcome to the forum!
    You know.......I can't honestly tell the difference in the 155-180gr myself out of my Glocks either. I think the 40S&W is a good choice overall. Think about why there is less of a span in available bullet weights available for the 40S&W. IMO, the 40cal appears to be the best balance of engineering for what it's worth. No caliber war need be declared over this thinking, it's just common sense. I'm not intending to say the 40S&W is the ideal caliber for the reasons explained. It's just that there's a narrower margin of what's available because of it's design and engineering. I'm a fan of the 40S&W for several reasons, but it's not the only one I'll carry. IMO...either the 155 or the 180gr will do just fine, and considering the caliber, I don't think there's any pros or cons of choosing one over the other because the E=MC˛ is going to be so close that it shouldn't even elicit a question in the real world.

I have a 4" barrel on both my Glock 23 and my SIG P229. I use 155gr in both, Federal HST (LE).

The numbers vary so little, and I don't think it matters except that was a extremely good deal at the time and both guns have no problems shooting any of them.
    Last edited by aedinius; May 31st, 2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: s/either/any of them/
    Knowing is half the battle.

I'd use a 9mm if I wanted lighter bullets..I like to hit them with the heaviest hammer I can, so I vote for the 180s in the .40. Thats the same reason I use 230 gr. in a .45
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    IMO...either the 155 or the 180gr will do just fine, and considering the caliber, I don't think there's any pros or cons of choosing one over the other because the E=MC˛ is going to be so close that it shouldn't even elicit a question in the real world.
    There can be several inches difference in penetration, as well as expansion can vary quite a bit from 155 to 180 depending on brand. This seems to be a big deal and greatly warrants eliciting a question in the real world. This thread contains a very important discussion IMO.
    Glock 27 & 22. Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC IWB holster.

This list that I've posted a thousand times will probably give you a pretty good idea of which round tends to be best:

.40 S&W:
    Barnes XPB 140 & 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP
    Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)
    Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)
    Winchester Partition Gold 165 gr JHP (RA401P)
    Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)
    Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)
    Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)
    Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)
    Winchester 180 gr bonded JHP (Q4355 or S40SWPDB1)

[SOURCE]

You'll notice that only one (Barnes XPB doesn't count in this instance) round qualified in 155gr versus three in 165gr, and six in 180gr.

So, basically, avoid 155gr for the most part.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by lungbuster View Post
    I have a 40XDSC and 40XDm. I carry the SC for CC and the XDm is in a Gunvault by my bed for Home Defense. Both guns like the Gold Dots and I really can't tell a difference in the 155 or 180 grain in terms of accuracy for either gun.

Which grain bullet would be best suited for CC and HD. What are the pros and cons of these two bullet weights?
    I think lighter grain is better because you get more reliable expansion, less felt recoil (giving more accurate followup shots), and less chance of over-penetration. Also less chance of a stray bullet going through a house wall and hitting an innocent. The only time penetration depth becomes an issue is if you're shooting a big guy with his shoulder turned into you so you have to go through his arm and then into the torso.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

I used 180 grain hydrashock ,and in my spare mag I got Winchester PDX1 bonded 165 grain

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    I think lighter grain is better because you get more reliable expansion, less felt recoil (giving more accurate followup shots), and less chance of over-penetration. Also less chance of a stray bullet going through a house wall and hitting an innocent. The only time penetration depth becomes an issue is if you're shooting a big guy with his shoulder turned into you so you have to go through his arm and then into the torso.
    Or if he's facing you, arms in front of him, when presenting a weapon (which he probably will be--it's usually considered bad form to shoot an unarmed opponent). Not a very unlikely occurrence.

Or if he's in a bladed stance (particularly with the right shoulder forward).

Or if he's ducked behind some type of light cover.

And, in modern hollowpoints, the heavier bullets tend to expand just as much, if not greater.

Overpenetration/missed shots...bullets which properly expand after hitting their target tend not to completely penetrate, and if they do, usually end up on the ground within feet of their exit point. As for a miss--a properly constructed bullet, regardless of weight, will go through walls, plural.

If you want to carry lighter weight bullets, go ahead...but the facts aren't there to support claims like the above.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Given how hard HSTs are to find these days, I use whichever ones I can find. But, I prefer the heavier grain bullets.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    I think lighter grain is better because you get more reliable expansion, less felt recoil (giving more accurate followup shots), and less chance of over-penetration. Also less chance of a stray bullet going through a house wall and hitting an innocent.
    Eh, all of this is false.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links