Bullets are loose in the casing

This is a discussion on Bullets are loose in the casing within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have some Cor-Bon DPX in .45 ACP and I have noticed that some of the bullets are loose in the casing. Even some them ...

Thread: Bullets are loose in the casing

I have some Cor-Bon DPX in .45 ACP and I have noticed that some of the bullets are loose in the casing. Even some them that have been untocuhed and still it the box. How loose is too loose and should I refrain from shooting them? It's not like they just fall out of the casing. Some just spin but will not move in and out, and others move in and out, maybe 1-2mm as well as spin.

I may just go buy another box. I'd hate to have to check every single bullet to see if it's loose before I purchase them, haha.

I've heard of bullet set-back, but the bullets aren't being pushed into the casing. They're more or less starting to fall out. Like I said, they don't just fall out, but if you grab the bullet with a pair of needle nose, it will wiggle around a little.

You can pull or twist any bullet if you apply enough pressure (like using a pair of pliers). If they require a pair of pliers to move, I'd quit messing with them.
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by chenemf View Post
    You can pull or twist any bullet if you apply enough pressure (like using a pair of pliers). If they require a pair of pliers to move, I'd quit messing with them.
    Well I had noticed a few of them sticking out a bit further than they should and pushed them back into place with my thumb. I was just "checking" the others that didn't move at all (even with a light touch of plyers). After popping them back in with my thumb they're still loose, but you can't move them around with just you fingers alone.

It's not like they're set back and have increased pressure. I didn't hink shooting them would be a problem. I just wanted to check before hand.

Ah well. Thanks :)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    Well I had noticed a few of them sticking out a bit further than they should and pushed them back into place with my thumb. I was just "checking" the others that didn't move at all (even with a light touch of plyers). After popping them back in with my thumb they're still loose, but you can't move them around with just you fingers alone.

It's not like they're set back and have increased pressure. I didn't hink shooting them would be a problem. I just wanted to check before hand.

Ah well. Thanks :)
    I would not recommend shooting them, if they are loose enough to turn by hand they might set back enough to cause an overpressure condition, which may cause the gun to blow up. I would call Cor-Bon and describe the problem to include lot number and request a replacement box of ammo.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

If the bullet sets back enough to compress the powder the pressure spike could cause a kaboom,and if you can push em with a finger think what getting shoved into a steel feed ramp might do
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Are they new, out of box, or have you been cycling them through your pistol? That can loosen rounds that don't have a tight crimp. Being stripped from the mag and slammed into a chamber is pretty brutal.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I have some Cor-Bon DPX in .45 ACP and I have noticed that some of the bullets are loose in the casing. Even some them that have been untocuhed and still it the box. How loose is too loose and should I refrain from shooting them? It's not like they just fall out of the casing. Some just spin but will not move in and out, and others move in and out, maybe 1-2mm as well as spin.

I may just go buy another box. I'd hate to have to check every single bullet to see if it's loose before I purchase them, haha.

I've heard of bullet set-back, but the bullets aren't being pushed into the casing. They're more or less starting to fall out. Like I said, they don't just fall out, but if you grab the bullet with a pair of needle nose, it will wiggle around a little.
    (1) why are you grabbing the bullets with a pair of pliers? That serves no useful purpose.

(2) if you can move bullets with finger pressure, the rounds are defective, in my book. Either the cases were not properly sized in the first place or the bullets are under-sized. It should take considerable pressure against the bullet to make it move and the bullet should NEVER freely rotate in the case under finger pressure.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

OldVet: I was cycling a few through which made a few of them loose. I was checking the rest of them with the plyers and found a few to be loose still new in the box. I don't just for fun grab my bullets with plyers hahaha. I didn't mean to make it seem like that.

After pushing them back in with my thumb they're not longer loose and they're not setback. I'm familiar with setback.

I'm probably just going to go buy and nex box and discard the loose bullets. Not biggie.

But yeah I was only using the plyers to check for the tightness after finding a few that were loose. It's not something I'd normally do :)

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    What weight bullets? I don't use Corbons, but if they're 185 grns, they're not seated very deep and wouldn't have a lot of crimping grip.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    call the manufacturer and speak with them...

as far as overpressure form setback goes...i dont see that as a problem if the bullet is loose in the case...setback concerns are fro the amount of pressure required to unseat a bullet that has been crammed back into the casing and doesnt want to come out...thsi doesnt seem to be the case here...but it is odd for centerfire rounds...

ive seen it with .22 lr quite a bit...but not with centerfire rounds...

I don't understand the compulsion to repeatedly manually cycle ammo through a firearm. There's no logical reason, that I have ever found, to do it.

It must be an affliction of new/inexperienced gun owners.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

They're 185 gr.

I am a new/inexperienced gun owner. The reason I was cycling the ammo that was in the gun was because I had a jam recently which was rather strange. My Glock has functioned 100% from the day I bought it until a few days ago. I was cycling some ammo through it to try and find what the issue was. Maybe that is a stupid idea. Well, not maybe, it IS stupid idea, but atleast now I know. Now I've found that there IS NOT an issue. It was just fluke. Semi-autos are prone to jamming once in a great while.

My point was, some of the unUSED and untouched, new in the box ammo had a few loose bullets. Now, not as loose as some of the cycled rounds, obviously. But loose, nonetheless. I guess like OldVet said, since they're 185gr, maybe thats why. My 230 gr ammo didn't do this or setback.

As I said, I'll discard them. I'd rather not risk shooting them. How am I to know that now that they're loose, that when I chamber them to shoot them that they won't be set back at that very moment. And they're +P rounds. They don't need anymore pressure.

I'm young, and I learned a lesson. I'm sure I'll learn even more as time goes on what and what NOT to do, haha.

They're 185 gr.

I am a new/inexperienced gun owner. The reason I was cycling the ammo that was in the gun was because I had a jam recently which was rather strange. My Glock has functioned 100% from the day I bought it until a few days ago. I was cycling some ammo through it to try and find what the issue was. Maybe that is a stupid idea. Well, not maybe, it IS stupid idea, but atleast now I know. Now I've found that there IS NOT an issue. It was just fluke. Semi-autos are prone to jamming once in a great while.
    Hand-cycling ammo through a semi-auto will tell you nothing about how it functions when actually being shot.

As for your last statement, I don't remember the last time any of my semi-autos jammed, once I settled on my ammo for that particular gun.

My point was, some of the unUSED and untouched, new in the box ammo had a few loose bullets.
    Then the ammo is defective!!! Do NOT shoot it; return it to the manufacturer!

As I said, I'll discard them. I'd rather not risk shooting them. How am I to know that now that they're loose, that when I chamber them to shoot them that they won't be set back at that very moment.
    Check the ammo before loading it; it's that simple. QUALITY ammo does not set back upon chambering. It's funny, I've been shooting for the better part of 40 years and this setback business was never an issue until the last 10 years or so. It's more dangerous in theory than in reality, IMHO and experience.

Sponsored Links