WANTED: 45 cal. ammo that penetrates 14 -16 inches!

This is a discussion on WANTED: 45 cal. ammo that penetrates 14 -16 inches! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I shoot an HK45C with a barrel length of 3.9 inches! This handgun will be used for protecting my home. I am asking for recommendations ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I shoot an HK45C with a barrel length of 3.9 inches! This handgun will be used for protecting my home. I am asking for recommendations on 45 cal. JHP ammo that will penetrate a minimum of 14 to 16 inces of penetration! The reason I seek this kind of penetration is because I have seen torso shots where 12 inches of penetration wasn't enough because some people have torsos that are thicker than 12 inches!

Thank-you for your time & Happy Memorial Day!

Mike

Cor-Bon says the DPX load is designed to penetrate gelatin from 12 to 16 inches, and since my gelatin blocks are 16 inches long, I wanted to do the test with the shorter barrel.

When the dust settled, this hot JHP made it 13.5 inches into the carefully prepared gelatin, exhibiting perfect, classic expansion and weight retention as well. The recovered bullet showed expansion to very nearly .80 caliber while weighing 185.2 grains--most likely its starting weight. This is impressive performance.

COR-BON .45 185-GRAIN DPX 25-YARD PERFROMANCE
    CZ TT45 w/3.77-inch

Source - Cor-Bon DPX .45 ACP
    Run a search here at DC.com or among the wide world web, much has been posted and said including many tests of function toward Corbon DPX across a wide range of defensive calibers including specifically .45 ACP.

I suspect you will be satisfied.

- Janq has been carrying DPX in 45 and 9MM for years now
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Or a 230 grn FMJ. Leaves at least a .45 hole. Tried the penetration test on the Jello salad, but the results were inconclusive. The wife was unimpressed with the results.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I like the Winchester SXT "T" series. 230 Gr. Winchester also has a new PDX out but I have no hands on with that one.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    I shoot an HK45C with a barrel length of 3.9 inches! This handgun will be used for protecting my home. I am asking for recommendations on 45 cal. JHP ammo that will penetrate a minimum of 14 to 16 inces of penetration! The reason I seek this kind of penetration is because I have seen torso shots where 12 inches of penetration wasn't enough because some people have torsos that are thicker than 12 inches!

Thank-you for your time & Happy Memorial Day!

Mike
    Just a thought - it doesn't have to exit the other side to be effective, know what I mean?
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I agree with Jang ...

I carry DPX 185 +P for this specific reason. testing shows it to be a great round.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

The XTP gets my vote. Carry the bullet in 9mm, 10mm, and .45 ACP.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I carry two different rounds...mainly depending on season.

Hot months I load up with Federal HST 230gr (kinda hard to find) great expansion and consistant at that awesome reviews and performance.

Colder months I load up with Winchester T series 230gr +p. THis also has a great reviews and performance.

Cor-Bon has great reivews and performance....though I haven't purchased any.

Speer Gold Dot from Remington....good HP's though I've only shot and played with in .40cal. Was a good round.

PMC Starfire are intresting HP's as well. THough I've only messed with those in .357mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    Just a thought - it doesn't have to exit the other side to be effective, know what I mean?
    I'm thinking the Ranger Bonded may be more effective in deeper penetration,for home protection If I need to stop something that big the shotty loaded with bernanke slugs
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Or a 230 grn FMJ. Leaves at least a .45 hole. Tried the penetration test on the Jello salad, but the results were inconclusive. The wife was unimpressed with the results.
    Actually, in tissue, it's closer to a .35" hole...roundnose ammo allows tissue to stretch around it, leaving a smaller permanent wound. A SWC design, though--that'll tend to cut a .45" hole...

But, if one wants penetration over all other considerations...yeah; hardball is the way to go.

The suggestions of XTP are good ones; my buddy took a deer at about 20 yards with a Glock 21 firing a handloaded XTP (sorry, don't know specs or velocity, but knowing him, it was at or very near max); full penetration through a shoulder (shoulder on exit side). Bullet not reconvered.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Another option for OP is maybe Speer GD or HST's. Check here >>LE - Wound Ballistics 23Ogr HST's and GD did quit well at the last testing they did. Speer GDHP 45 Auto 230 gr. 14.00” 0.684” 100.39% (penetration-expansion-weight retention) bare gel.

Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by 45tek View Post
    Another option for OP is maybe Speer GD or HST's. Check here >>LE - Wound Ballistics 23Ogr HST's and GD did quit well at the last testing they did. Speer GDHP 45 Auto 230 gr. 14.00” 0.684” 100.39% (penetration-expansion-weight retention) bare gel.
    I wanted to add to what I posted, if I may; Me personally wouldnt shoot anything less than 230gr due to several reasons. One being the low velocity of the .45acp round. Thats one of the reasons I gave up on the 40cal. All factors involved just didnt make sence [B]TO ME[B]but thats just me.

I cant imagine 12-14" of penetration not being enough, I guess its not all that rare. Unless of course there are the forearm, shoulder, etc.

Im not really a BIG fan of gel testing cause it cant simulate human flesh, bone and muscle, but if thats the best technology gives us right now.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Run a search here at DC.com or among the wide world web, much has been posted and said including many tests of function toward Corbon DPX across a wide range of defensive calibers including specifically .45 ACP.

I suspect you will be satisfied.

- Janq has been carrying DPX in 45 and 9MM for years now
    Has anyone seen any or heard of any shootings with the Corbon 185 DPX ammo?

Here are two comparisons of .45 ACP defensive rounds I found on youtube. These are the overall comparisons of expansion, but each type of round also has it's own video.

Ammo test 1

Ammo test 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links