Worried about HST

This is a discussion on Worried about HST within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is my first thread here on Defensive Carry, so I thank you in advance for showing me respect as a new ccw permit holder ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried about HST

Question Worried about HST

This is my first thread here on Defensive Carry, so I thank you in advance for showing me respect as a new ccw permit holder with questions.

I recently became a licensed CCW permit holder in Las Vegas, NV. I am trying to fill my head with much info about carrying a weapon and familiarizing myself with all applicable laws pertaining to such.

My question is do you feel it is a good and reasonable idea to use LE Only ammo such as Federal HST or Winchester Ranger T for concealed carry or for home defense? I do own 2 boxes of Federal HST .180gr 40 S&W, but am worried about the legal ramifications if god forbid I ever had to use it. You know, explaining why I felt I needed to use LE ammo that Federal won't sell directly to civilians such as myself. I am also aware that it is just Federals policy not a law to do such. The Las Vegas Police Department carries Speer Gold Dots from what I understand, which seems to be a great round also. But, I heard such great things about Federal HST I couldn't help but get a few boxes, but am now a little scared to carry it. Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Nothing to worry about...

The "LE Only" marking on the box is marketing...there is nothing "illegal" about possessing this ammo.

I have the same ammo in 165 gr...

As far as using the same ammo as LE....hey--if it's good for them to defend themselves, it's good to defend myself with it too. There's nothing magical about "LE" ammo...so I think your fears are unfounded. Not to mention, explaining what you did and why you did it will be through your attorney, right??

Much ado about nothing....really...

For more information, I would use the function....lots of good info here...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Yes, again I am aware that there is nothing illegal about owning it. I am worried about the legal ramifications of using it instead of civilian sold, local law enforcement carried Speer Gold Dots. I know there is no way a District Attorney is going to come after me for carrying Gold Dots. Just scares me a little bit with Federal HST or the Winchester Ranger Ts. I also know that this isn't a legal forum, but just wanted to know if anyone else knew more than myself or had some experience on the matter or could direct me to somewhere with more information. Thanks.

If its legal to own/possess in your state, go for it. I use that exact round in my G27.

If you're that concerned about it, speak with a firearms/defense attorney to help you weight out your options.

Also, if you don't mind sharing, where did you get HST's?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

It is completly OK, if anything it's better than carrying something that is not used by law enforcment. If in fact you ever have to use it, it can be said that you were being resposible and using a cartidge that has been heavily tested and proven by law enforcment.

By the way welcome to the site, I also live here in Las Vegas. This is a great site with a lot of very informative and friendly guys and gals.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post
    It is completly OK, if anything it's better than carrying something that is not used by law enforcment. If in fact you ever have to use it, it can be said that you were being resposible and using a cartidge that has been heavily tested and proven by law enforcment.

By the way welcome to the site, I also live here in Las Vegas. This is a great site with a lot of very informative and friendly guys and gals.
    +1 What he said. I would agree that choosing ammo that LE has tested and uses would help you, not be used against you. I carry 147g +P HST myself in my PM9 daily.

Welcome to the site!

Welcome to the forum!

You'll love it here.

A lot of "Law Enforcement" boxes of ammo or just 50 round boxes of the same ammo sold to civilians in 20 round boxes. That's what I found with Speer Gold Dots anyway.

If It's a good defensive shoot,then you don't have nuttin to worry about,All I carry is HST or Ranger T-series ammo
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Save yourself a headache and go buy something like PDX1 or Golden Saber. I have no problems carrying (and do carry) HST or Ranger T.

VIP Member
    When I carry, check my signature line, I carry only rounds that have been extensively proven by law enforcement.

Carrying such a round makes you a more, not less responsible CCW'er!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dyvegas View Post
    Yes, again I am aware that there is nothing illegal about owning it. I am worried about the legal ramifications of using it instead of civilian sold, local law enforcement carried Speer Gold Dots. I know there is no way a District Attorney is going to come after me for carrying Gold Dots. Just scares me a little bit with Federal HST or the Winchester Ranger Ts. I also know that this isn't a legal forum, but just wanted to know if anyone else knew more than myself or had some experience on the matter or could direct me to somewhere with more information. Thanks.
    Not a problem using HST. They are not illegal. I carry them in my XD45acp.

As long as it is a good shoot (defensive shooting) there should be no issues as to the ammo you chose to use. Your only ammo issue would be if you used some kind of home reloaded ammo.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by dyvegas View Post
    This is my first thread here on Defensive Carry, so I thank you in advance for showing me respect as a new ccw permit holder with questions.

I recently became a licensed CCW permit holder in Las Vegas, NV. I am trying to fill my head with much info about carrying a weapon and familiarizing myself with all applicable laws pertaining to such.

My question is do you feel it is a good and reasonable idea to use LE Only ammo such as Federal HST or Winchester Ranger T for concealed carry or for home defense? I do own 2 boxes of Federal HST .180gr 40 S&W, but am worried about the legal ramifications if god forbid I ever had to use it. You know, explaining why I felt I needed to use LE ammo that Federal won't sell directly to civilians such as myself. I am also aware that it is just Federals policy not a law to do such. The Las Vegas Police Department carries Speer Gold Dots from what I understand, which seems to be a great round also. But, I heard such great things about Federal HST I couldn't help but get a few boxes, but am now a little scared to carry it. Thoughts?
    If it's good enpugh for the cops it's good enough for me. It would just be irresponsible to use inferior ammo. If it's a justified shooting the ammo won't matter.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Stay armed...load her up...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

thanks for the responses everybody and the welcoming to DC. It's much appreciated. anyone else with an opinion, keep em' coming.

I also worry about HST, Because its GETTING SO HARD TO GET THESE DAYS!!
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links