.380 FMJ or JHP for SD carry ammo?

This is a discussion on .380 FMJ or JHP for SD carry ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just reading the thread on .32 ammo and thought, will ammo like Speer Gold Dot in .380 penetrate enough or should I consider ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I was just reading the thread on .32 ammo and thought, will ammo like Speer Gold Dot in .380 penetrate enough or should I consider FMJ to carry in Kel-Tec P3-AT?

fmj for me in mine. do a search and you will see many on this subject.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

If your weapon will reliably handle quality hollowpoints I would always go for that option. I want the energy dump in the target and a quality .380 like Gold Dot, Hydra Shock and others will give you that. Just my .02.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    This topic has been covered again and again and again. Check out the search function, there are many threads available.

The Kel-Tec P3AT will accept +P rounds, so I would look into the Buffalo Bore +P rounds. I've shot them out of a Kahr PM9 and it's definitely a handful.

I'd go with the HP rounds. If I was using anything smaller than .380 though I would use ball ammo.

Many people say FMJ because of penetration, we also all say shot placement is key. If you have good shot placement than it probably doesn't matter much which you use but I would say JHP to get a good energy dump in that good placement. If you have bad placement then I would say JHP. If your hitting someone in the arm and the bone isn't hit there is a very good chance that your round is going through, especially a FMJ. Now you have to worry about bystanders and the minimal damage that was done to intended target. A JHP will do more damage to the arm, hopefully incapacitating, and the threat to bystanders is reduced because the round will have lost so much more energy if it does travel through. In my opinion there isn't a real compelling reason to use FMJ.

I would go with DPX Corbon or Hornady Critical defense. There has been alot of testing with the DPX round on the keltec site KTOG Forum - P-3AT
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

..."energy dump"...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

That's what I thought. I've got some Gold Dots on the way. I need to be sure they cycle well in the P3-AT. If they do, that's what I'll keep in it.

Personally I would never use a FMJ round in a handgun except for target practice. There are two schools of thought when it comes to terminal ballistics. There is the Fackler camp which argue that permanent wound cavity size is all that matters, and incapacitation only comes from hitting the CNS. If you follow this way of thinking, then FMJ rounds are much worse than JHP becuase they create a permanent wound cavity of half the diameter. It is not difficult to find a JHP round which meets minimum penetration criteria.

The other school of thought is that a ballistic pressure wave is channeled through major arteries and can cause much faster incapacitation via brain damage. If you believe that model, then the pressure of the ballistic pressure wave is determined by the instantaneous transfer of kinetic energy -- which predicts the worst performance from FMJ rounds.

In other words, whatever school of thought you abide by, all terminal ballistics research that has ever been done agrees on the one fact that FMJ rounds are sub-optimal in terms of incapacitation potential. They also are the worst when it comes to over-penetration so you are more likely to cause collateral damage.

+1 on Corbon DPX.

Others may keep their .380s loaded with the favored "hollow point du jour." I'll take FMJ as I want the best possible penetration from the silly little round. If I have to use this one, it's hot loaded FMJ flat points for me.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The only .380 that gets any CCW duty for me is a KT P3AT. With that short barrel and some history of being finicky, I opt for FMJ ammo (for penetration and reliability).
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

x20
    tokerblue: re: buffalo bore, that would be the best choice for many persons and guns, if they were safe. i have a DB .380 and am also questioning the best ammo, but it
    seems that no .380 can safely shoot the BB. how can i determine if my DB is safe. DB itself says regular BB is ok, but NO +p ammo. Well, who can shoot BB ? if safe, i would like to use their 102 gr. hard caqst.
    Last edited by x20; June 4th, 2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: typo &more info.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links