Need some real world pricing from reloaders.

This is a discussion on Need some real world pricing from reloaders. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ve been shooting alot more lately, but would like to shoot much more. Here is my question. Put all of the equipment cost aside, ...

I ve been shooting alot more lately, but would like to shoot much more. Here is my question. Put all of the equipment cost aside, and only talk about brass, bullets, powder etc....
    Worst case scenario. Priced with new brass, then w/o brass costs if your using your already fired brass, how much per round approx does it run you to load FMJ, 9mm, 40 and 45? Im just looking for a approx cost. Please include any other expendable type costs that I missed. The 45 is the round that is the killer cost wise. Its just too much $ to shoot alot of new 45. Thanks guys
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Take a look at stores in your area or on the internet for prices on brass, primers, bullets and powder.

Check out a few reloading sites and find a load you want to produce.

Put all the numbers into the following calculator and you will come up with a pretty accurate figure.

Handloading Cost Calculator

bosco

It was actually pretty affordable to shoot FMJ bullets when I started handloading. It got progressively more expensive to do so, so I eventually switched to lead bullets. The .45 ACP is an excellent vehicle for load bullets, and they work fine in 9x19mm and .40 S&W as well.

While lead bullets from the right source are still pretty inexpensive, I started casting my own. Using range pickup brass, or brass I have already collected, I'm down below $0.05 per round, sometimes significantly so.

On the other hand, shooting with new brass and FMJ bullets, one is looking at savings, but no nearly so much.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

I would say about .30-.35 cent a round with new brass and .15-.20 a round without the new brass for the 9 and 40 and maybe about 5 cent more for the 45.
    Ed

NRA Member
    Utah CCW

Since I cast my own bullets from lead Wheel Weights,figuring 3 cents per primer,2 cents for powder max,1 cent per lubed bullet,I reload for around 5.00 to 6.00 per hundred rounds of 38/357,40,9mm,45,and about 7.00 per hundred 44 magnum,I have enough brass to last me the rest of my life,and I shoot over 1000 rounds a month not counting 22 lr
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

For primers, powder and platted bullets for 9mm runs 12.5 cents each. 357 Mag practice loads 14.8 cents each.
    Both depend on type and amount of powder. I only use Berry's Platted bullets and am happy with them for practice.

45 Reload Math

Here's some 45 math excluding shipping, taxes, hazmat fees etc........

Precision Delta 200 gr LWSC $92/1000 & free ship if you buy 6,000
    Hodgdon Clays 8 pounds for $108 (Assume 4.2 gr. per bullet)
    Primers say $35/1000
    New Starline Brass $138/1000

Rounding up I get:
    Cost per round with new brass 28 cents.
    Cost per round w/o new brass 14 cents.

If I were to buy new bullets OR new brass, either one of those components will cost MORE than a factory round when you add in the primer and powder! If I reloaded with new bullets AND new brass, the reloads would cost MUCH more than factory ammo! The only way I have found to save money reloading is by using "used" brass and by casting my own bullets. My 9mm rounds cost less than 5 cents/each. The cheapest factory ammo starts at 20 cents each and goes up from there. The only reason I can figure out why anyone buys bullets or brass is because they want to make a "custom" round for competition target shooting or for serious hunting, but NOT to save money.

romansten9

You must be buying components for too much, or Factory ammo for too little.

Seriously, once fired, and almost any bullet purchased can be reloaded cheaper than factory. By shopping, bullets can be bought quite decently, and other than primer availabilty, reloading is the only way I can afford to shoot, and I don't cast.

Terry

For me with 45 reloads

Berrys plated 230grn round nose
    http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14..._GR_RN_DS.aspx
    .15 each (if i bought 1000 it goes down to .13 but I buy by the 250)
    primer
    .04 each (last price i got for 1000 was $40)
    Powder (1lb wiin231 for $18.95 5.4 grn load)
    .014 each

once fired brass
    .05 each ($50 for 1000 on gunbroker)
    about $0.25 per round using these components.

buying lead cast bullets its closer to 0.18 per shot or 0.13 taking the brass cost out.
    Hard Cast Bullets

compared to FMJ at the gun store of $30 for 50, and $30 nets me 120 rounds. Take the .05 off for the brass on the next reload and we are at 150 rounds. Go with the lead cast, and we hit 230 rounds for $30

thats real savings to me. I use lee equipment so I didnt pay a ton for that either

I appreciate the feedback guys. Ive been considering reloading for awhile. I am weighing all of my options in dollars and in the time it takes. These replies have been alot of help.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    No one mentioned the cost of the reloading equipment! It will take awhile to break even on reloading given the cost of the reloading setup.

I've never sat down and calculated costs per round. I simply enjoy the activity. It allows me to custom load rounds that simply aren't available in factory loads. Plus, contrary to what many may feel, I trust my reloads more than factory loads. after thousands of reloads, I've had one misfire...a bad primer. I've had many more with factory loads.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Well so far I haven't bought any new brass So I can only answer from a Fired brass prospective.

$35.00 Outdoor range membership. I've pick up nearly 6000 rounds of brass in the last 3 months so, It has cost me 5.83 cents a round for brass.

3.5 cents ea. for primers at Bass Proshop
    $19.87 for pound of powder which does about 1200 rounds, call it 2 cents ea.

Bullets Using Missouri Bullet Co. Lead Flat rate shipping for up to 2000 rounds $13.00 ( 6.5 cents a round)

45 ACP 200 gr Round nose, $34.00 (per 500) 6 cents ea.
    40 180 gr TC $26.00 (per 500) 5 cents each
    9mm 125 gr Small ball $24.00 (per 500) 4 cent ea.

total cost:

45 ACP 22 cents a round
    40 S&W 21 cents a round
    9mm Luger 20 cents a round

This of course is about a nickel long if you remove the price of the brass, ie gun club membership.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    No one mentioned the cost of the reloading equipment! It will take awhile to break even on reloading given the cost of the reloading setup.
    The OP didnt want that comparison. If he did I would say this

Lee 4 hole turret with auto index press
    $66
    Lee 4 Hole Turret Press with Auto Index - Natchez Shooters Supplies

4 die set in a given caliber (45 in this case)
    $35
    Lee 45 ACP Carbide 4 Die Set - Natchez Shooters Supplies

A funnel
    $2
    Lee Powder Funnel - Natchez Shooters Supplies

Really thats all you need if you take care, and only build one load. I use the lee dipper for my powder and get consistent loads and can load about 150 rounds an hour.

using my cheapest round, at $0.13 a round, you pay for your equipment in savings in about 213 rounds when compared to FMJ at my local gun store ($30 for 50)

reloading doesn't need to be expensive

Links