HD Ultimate Home Defense Ammo

This is a discussion on HD Ultimate Home Defense Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday, I saw a large assortment of Remington's HD Ultimate Home Defense ammo in .38, 9mm & .40 at Bass Pro. I have used Golden ...

Thread: HD Ultimate Home Defense Ammo

VIP Member

HD Ultimate Home Defense Ammo

Yesterday, I saw a large assortment of Remington's HD Ultimate Home Defense ammo in .38, 9mm & .40 at Bass Pro. I have used Golden Saber ammo with good results in its feeding and hitting POA in my weapons. Further, I have read good things about the Golden Saber ammo performance in the real world.

I was looking for some info on the performance of the HD Ultimate Home Defense rounds and really did not find much. So, being curious, I called Remington looking for more info on things like expansion and penetration testing. The customer service rep informed me that the HD Ultimate Home Defense round is the same round as the Golden Saber round that has been available to the public for quite some time. Basically, Remington either updated the name and packaging for the Golden Saber round or it has 2 products filling the same niche and taking up more store space - a normal way to increase market share.

All told, based on the info I got from Remington, if you are happy with the Golden Saber round, you should be equally pleased with the "new" HD Ultimate Home Defense round.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

It's marketing department advertising hype. Every manufacturer does it, but Remington seems to be the worst offender.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Hornady beats Remington Every Time

I prefer Hornady. Their advertisements is "We make large, open, fatal wound cavities!" The Hornady Custom line was first developed and has most caliber options. The new Critical Defense is probably the best bullet for stopping bad guys. I have seen the results and carried other stuff, like the Federal Hydro-shock as well (also not as good as Hornady Custom XTP).

I don't trust Remington ammunition in anything, especially a Ruger-they jam every time. The Remington Gold Saber bullets are good though, if loaded by hand.

Advertising hype aside my department has been using Golden Saber in our Glock 21's issued to patrol and Glock 26 and 27's issued to investigators and command staff for several years now. I carry them in my personal off duty G 23. They have been completely reliable in all our weapons. Not saying they are any better than other premium rounds but I feel they are just as good as any factory load out there. My .02.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I keep some golden saber around. Hasn't failed me yet. Good to know about the HD line.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Advertising hype aside my department has been using Golden Saber in our Glock 21's issued to patrol and Glock 26 and 27's issued to investigators and command staff for several years now. I carry them in my personal off duty G 23. They have been completely reliable in all our weapons. Not saying they are any better than other premium rounds but I feel they are just as good as any factory load out there. My .02.
    My comment was about "new and improved" labeling and packaging they come out with on a periodic basis. No complain about the ammo itself.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Links