Defensive Carry banner

Federal American Eagle opinions

8K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  BugDude 
#1 ·
I was just shipped 1000 rounds of the wrong ammo. I received Federal American Eagle 165 grain in 40 S&W. I normally use Speer Lawman for my target practice and I am deciding whether to send this back - they are out of Speer Lawman in 165 or 180 grain but do have some 155 grain I could swap for.

Since it is just for target practice, I am leaning toward just keeping the American Eagle. Anyone had any problems with it?

I shoot Glocks - G27, G23, G22.

#4 ·
Federal and Speer are both owned by ATK. I've shot more American Eagle ammo than probably any other factory loaded brand. I think you'll find that it is at least as good as Speer Lawman, and may shoot cleaner. FWIW, I know for a fact that American Eagle is loaded on the same machines, with the same components and the same QC as Federal's more expensive ammo.

#6 ·
Thanks, you all have put my mind at ease so I think I will keep the American Eagle. If it works well, then I'll have an alternative I am comfortable with in the future. It was the same price as the Speer Lawman ($299 incl shipping for 1000 rounds).

#7 ·
American Eagle is fine. I've shot several thousand rounds of the stuff (.45). It is great for training.

The price might be a bit of an issue, however. I can usually find AE a little cheaper than Lawman (I like Lawman also). See if they will give some credit or coupons. You never know unless you ask.

Good luck.

#8 ·
I got it from AmmoMan and couldn't find anything cheaper except Wolf. My nearest Walmart is 70 miles away and nearest Cabellas is 250 so I am relegated to mail order. In my mind, anything under $0.30/round with shipping is not too bad.

#11 ·
I've never bought Fed Amer Eagle. Seems pricy to me.

#14 ·
I've used American Eagle in several calibers, and never had a problem with them. Good stuff.

#15 ·
I have used Federal, & American Eagle, but never Federal American Eagle?
Or is AE made by Federal?

#17 ·
Back when I shot a lot of 3-Gun, I shot two kinds of ammo in my match ARs, both Federal: AE 55-grainers, and Match 69 gr. My old Eagle Arms Action Master would group AE in .75" at 100 yards, and the Match load in .5". AE .223 is also one of the cleanest .223 loads available, with the least flash. I used to buy the AE load for $80/500 rounds, plus a small shipping fee. Aaaaaah, those were the days...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.