best weight for G27?

This is a discussion on best weight for G27? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, I am new here and just wanted to say hello to everyone! My carry gun is the G27 and I found some Ranger ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best weight for G27?

best weight for G27?

Hey everyone,
    I am new here and just wanted to say hello to everyone!
    My carry gun is the G27 and I found some Ranger T series in both 165 and 180gr. My question is, what do you guys think is the better grain to go with. I've seen pics of 165gr Rangers out of a G27 and they looked great. Then there are some that say to get the 180gr.
    If you guys could pick, what would you choose for the Ranger T series? Thanks again

2. Remove Ads

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice considering it is still Ranger T series and one of the best rounds out there. I carry the 180gr. in my Glock 27 and 23.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Would the 165gr be better because it would have more velocity? But then again 180gr would probably be just as good, but maybe not expand enough? I just can't come to a decision on this one.

I agree with Diablo, you cant go wrong with either round. My preference is the 180 grain and with todays metallurgy modern cartridges are not dependant on speed for their expansion as they were some years back. The Ranger T / PDX1 are excellent rounds as are the Federal HST and Speer Gold Dots.

Quote Originally Posted by major4444 View Post
    ... I just can't come to a decision on this one.
    Pick one and shoot, shoot, shoot that 27. You can't go wrong with any of the rounds previously mentioned in either weight IMO. BTW welcome to the forum.

Considering bullet weights, pick the one that feed 100 percent reliability through YOUR gun.

As for brands, take your choice. The difference in performance between brands is indistinguishable in the target. Again, use what's reliable in YOUR gun and is acceptably accurate to you.

With proper bullet placement ANY of the JHPs will get the job done.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

There is some debate over whether or not the energy matters or just permanent cavity, but I personally believe the recent evidence showing that ballistic pressure waves can be channeled through arteries and cause brain hemorrhaging is convincing.

Therefore, when dealing with a round like .40 S&W which has high case volume compared to its caliber, I would leverage that capability by going with a lower weight round for extreme high velocity to get as much energy as I could.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    There is some debate over whether or not the energy matters or just permanent cavity, but I personally believe the recent evidence showing that ballistic pressure waves can be channeled through arteries and cause brain hemorrhaging is convincing.
    Link to said evidence please! Come on, you can't post that without citing it.
    Glock 27 & 22. Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC IWB holster.

Quote Originally Posted by dyvegas View Post
    Link to said evidence please! Come on, you can't post that without citing it.
    "Velocity seems to be the "holy grail" for a lot of folks when they decide to choose their handgun ammo, and they tend to gravitate towards +P or even +P+ loads. As mentioned above, velocity is not always good or useful. This is something to keep in mind when deciding between a "fast" 127gr +P+ or 147gr load in 9mm for example. Another factor is the ability to control the follow-up shot. If you have two loads which both perform about the same, you might consider going to the slow/heavy bullet due to the fact that the slower load is more easily controlled. Consider the data from Winchester in regards to their 9mm 127gr +P+ load (1250 fps) versus the 147gr load (990 fps) in the Ranger-T line:

Gelatin
    127gr = 12.3" penetration and 0.64" ED
    147gr = 13.9" penetration and 0.65" ED

4-Ply Denim
    127gr = 12.5" penetration and 0.68" ED
    147gr = 14.5" penetration and 0.66" ED

Heavy Cloth
    127gr = 12.2" penetration and 0.68" ED
    147gr = 14.0" penetration and 0.66" ED"

[SOURCE]
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Usually the 155 to 180 pound range able to conceal well without the love handles impeding the draw
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Welcome.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Usually the 155 to 180 pound range able to conceal well without the love handles impeding the draw
    LOL! I knew something like this was on the horizon when I started reading the thread. Well, I'm 6'1" and 200lb and the G27 works well for me also, even appendix.
    There are a few offerings of down to 135gr in the 40S&W defensive rounds, mainly you'll find a more narrow span of available bullet weights more common. Velocity is good, but when employing the sub compact pistols, just remember everything comes down to E=MC˛ which essentially translates directly to felt recoil and the follow up shot someone previously mentioned. Personally, I practice with the 180gr TMJ, and subsequently choose a little bit lighter PD bullet weight same as I do with the 9mm or the 45acp. The 9mm 147gr FMJ for practice, and the 124gr in regular or +P seem to balance out. Above all, I do think the 40S&W is an excellent caliber choice for PD in any platform you may choose. The G27 just seems to make it more of a hit for me.
    Welcome to the forum fellow Glockster!

here read the stats yourself, http://www.winchester.com/SiteCollec...law_bullit.swf

The glock 27 has a 3.46 in barrel. This has reduced velocity compared to the glock 22 from what I've read.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Some say you want more velocity in the shorter barrel so go with the 155gr, whereas others say you want to use 180 because supposedly the heavier bullets lose less % of their velocity during the flight. Haven't seen a source for this info, but this is what I keep hearing. Which one is it and what wins? Light or heavy loads from a short barrel? Ahhhhh. Sources please.
    Glock 27 & 22. Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC IWB holster.

VIP Member
    In a shorter barrel weapon like the G-27 some prefer the higher velocity of the 165gr. I prefer the heavier bullet myself regardless of barrel length.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

To be honest, I'd NEVER choose a 155gr (minus the Barnes DPX / Corbon round but that doesn't really count in this instance) round in .40.

To me, this argument should be between 165gr and 180gr. The 155gr .40 is generally a poor performer. For example, the 155gr Federal HST round (which is considered by many to be the best round available for SD in most calibers) didn't make Doc Roberts' list because it underperforms. This speaks very loudly to me.

As for Glock 27 vs Glock 22 --> A Federal HST 180gr round fired from a 4" barrel has a velocity of 1,010 fps according to Federal. Fired from a Glock 22, this round would have an estimated velocity of approximately 1,029 fps and when fired from a Glock 27 the round has an estimated velocity of approximately 987 fps. Basically, it's not all that much different.

The issue isn't with losing velocity during flight, it's with penetration. Heavier bullets tend to penetrate better/more when compared to their lighter counterparts.

There is no clear winner here. There likely never will be.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links